Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 year old adopted chihuahua (had him for almost a month now). Whenever I might be eating or doing work in my room, my dog notices I'm not giving him attention or something and walks to the other side of the room where my bed covers my sight of him. Every time I get up to make a movement toward him he comes running so I can't tell what exactly he's doing all the time. But sometimes sniffing around, sometimes laying down waiting for me. Even if I'm petting him while doing something on the computer he might drift away slowly. Any analysis of this? I'd really like to know what you folks think, thanks!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I think he's just entertaining himself in the absence of your attention. As to the petting, some dogs will enjoy pets for as long as you'll give them, some dogs get bored with that pretty quickly, especially if you're not giving direct attention while petting.

Does he play with toys or chew things yet? If not, you might notice that when he does settle in and starts chewing and playing that he does that instead of just sniffing or laying down.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He still isn't a big fan of toys but I did buy him a bully stick which he seems to like chewing on sometimes, randomly. And the kong I got him he didn't have all that much patience for. Everything else has been ignored totally lol

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I don't think that Chi's are heavy chewers, but I do think that they like to shake and "kill" small stuffed toys. I was under the impression that they were bred to be lap dogs (?) and to seek attention.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think that Chi's are heavy chewers, but I do think that they like to shake and "kill" small stuffed toys. I was under the impression that they were bred to be lap dogs (?) and to seek attention.
Yeah I fully expect him to seek attention but he sometimes goes off to where I can't see him while I am giving him attention (while petting him or even while he's on my lap). So I can't totally tell if it is an attention thing.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
He still isn't a big fan of toys but I did buy him a bully stick which he seems to like chewing on sometimes, randomly. And the kong I got him he didn't have all that much patience for. Everything else has been ignored totally lol
It can take time for a dog to loosen up enough to play. I encourage Kabota to chew on his stuffies by rubbing them with hot dogs. He lost half his teeth, so instead of getting him a kong, I got him this much softer ball that he just rolls around to get kibble out of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts