Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what everyone would like to see in their dog food. I plan on creating my own line of dog food and would like everyones input on what they feel are the best ingredient and what they would like to see in their dog food(keeping costs in mind). I cant wait to hear the responses.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Using my dog's perspective for "like"...it definitely needs to have squirrel in it...Mallard duck a close second. And despite the idiom, Elsa would enjoy eating crow. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am surprised more people do not have anything to say about what they would like in their dogs food. Obviously their are many options. I always hear people complain about not being able to find a good dog food well nows your chance to be involved in formulating a dry dog food.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
I am surprised more people do not have anything to say about what they would like in their dogs food. Obviously their are many options. I always hear people complain about not being able to find a good dog food well nows your chance to be involved in formulating a dry dog food.

The problem is, we get innundated with market research requests here and, after while, they are mostly ignored.

If you spend some time reading through the posts on this subforum, you'll get a pretty good feel for what people are looking for.

Also, the request is 3 hours old. Most people who can afford dog food are working right now. (I'm on a lunch-break.)

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Also, the request is 3 hours old. Most people who can afford dog food are working right now. (I'm on a lunch-break.)
I'm impressed with your integrity, RonE. I'm procrastinating.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Alright, I'll bite. I want quality, multiple protein sources. Human-grade,natural ingredients. I like fish or fish oil to be part of the food because it's good for the coat. I don't want a lot of grains or carbs but they should be there for balance. Grains and carbs should be high quality. No corn/wheat mess. I want higher protein but not high protein. I think something in the high twenties-mid thirties percent wise. Red meat like beef can also be a good ingredient because of it's fat content. I want no preservatives or harmful chemicals. There should be a statement that no ethoxyquin is in the food. I would look at Wellness CORE, Taste of the Wild, Innova, Timberwolf Organics, Orijen for inspiration. Foods like that in terms of quality but maybe a little lower protein content.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
so here is the thing...

everyone's dog had different dietary considerations.

for instance...
my dog does HORRBLY on every single dry food I've tried. bad skin, bald patches, regular yarking, diarhea, weight gain no matter how much of any given food I feed her.

so I switched to raw. no fruits, no grains and no veggies except potatoe flour in homemade treats and the occasional sweet potatoe.

so id consider a dry food with as minimal plant products, extremely varied mea sources, liver meat, heart meat, other organ meats, bone meal.

but that won't fly with others whose dogs do well with foods with high grain, fruit and veggie content.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feed back. I would also like to know peoples perspective of fresh chicken being the first ingredient in the formula. This seems to be what alot of people like however I am not sure if it is worth the trade off of the cost. With fresh being the first ingredient that causes alot of shrink in the formula which is alot of wasted money for the consumer. Thanks again for the feed back.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
One useful exercise to address your question would be if you posted some of your tentative ingredient lists and then we can critique them like we would in the other threads when someone says "What do you think of _______ brand of dog food"?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is an ingredient list for you view.

Chicken Meal, Barley, Brown Rice, Menhaden Fish Meal, Chicken Fat with mixed tocopherols, Salmon Meal, Lamb Meal, Dried Egg Product, Herring Oil, Natural Flavors, Turkey, Alfalfa Meal, Whole Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Mixing Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E, Choline Chloride, Canola Oil, Green Peas, L-Lysine, Blueberries, Cranberries, Carrots, Garlic, Parsley, Potato, Spinach, Yams, Apples, Glucosamine, Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium thermophilum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium pseudolongum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Iron), Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Manganese), Copper Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Copper), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Ascorbate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate (Source of Chelated Cobalt), Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Well off the cuff and not being a nutrition expert I don't like that the ingredients in 2nd and 3rd position are grains. I would prefer the first three or so ingredients be meats. I'd especially want the fish ingredients moved up on the list. I am also not sure what "natural flavors" means.

I like that it appears that you included probiotic ingredients to aid digestion (that's mostly what these are right: Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium thermophilum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium pseudolongum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated?). I also like that you included egg in the ingredients.

Garlic is a controversial ingredient but I personally don't mind it as I think in very small amounts it is probably good for dogs. But in very small amounts.

So bottom line: At this point I would not buy this food as there are many quality foods with better protein content than this one that are readily available in my area. You need to offer something better and special at this point if you would want me to switch to your brand. I mean what sets you apart from other dog food manufacturers? There are so many premium and affordable brands out there that I'd need a good reason to consider yours.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You are correct on the probiotics. I will take into consideration changing the protein sources to a higher rank in the panel. however this formula is currently a 30% protein and 20% fat. What is your perspective on the protein levels and fat levels. Thanks

what is the price point you expect to pay for a food. If the fishmeals are moved up it increases the formula cost.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Well then the protein percentage may not be a problem. However I feel like for me variety of protein sources is pretty important so maybe you put in a little less chicken meal and more fish or lamb? I'm assuming you could juggle it a bit. I know they appear to on several other brands. For example "Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul" dog formula has meats as the first three named ingredients but their protein percentage is only 24%.

I think for average dog owners a protein level in the upper twenties is adequate. This is for the average dog. For working dogs or energetic breeds protein content should probably be closer to 30-40%. Fat percentage should be 14-17% or thereabouts.

As for price point I currently pay 13.29 for a 6 lb. bag of premium dog food. I'd say for a high quality food I'd be willing to spend 10-15.00 (maximum) on a small size bag of food (which generally range from 4-6 lb.). You'd have to lower the price per pound on larger bags of food. I'd balk at 15.00 for a 4 lb. bag because even Orijen, which I consider top-of-line good stuff, I can get for 14.00 for a 5.5 lb. bag. Like I said there are already so many options out there so you have stiff competition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your input. I think I will change the ingredient panel so the fishmeals and chicken are the first three ingredients. If you have any other suggestions on what information you would like on the bag. Hopefully others will voice their opinions also. Thanks Again

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Honestly, whether or not you have meat for the just the first ingredient or the first 3 ingredients doesn't matter to me. What I always want to see is a dog food company that guarantees a certain percentage or dry weight meat in their food.

If you guarantee to your customers that the food is 50% dry weight meat, then it doesn't matter if the next three ingredients are grains or not. And you also have to consider allergies. If your food has 4 different kinds of protein sources you’re going to be ruling out a lot of dogs.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I agree with Dobe. The fact that it has 4 different protein sources may cut your audience quite a bit. While some people really look for the variety others don't want it. Coming from a dog who I thought had allergies this formula would have really turned me off, especially since your protein sources are sooo different.

Your Formula Ex: Chicken, Menhaden Fish, Salmon, Lamb Meal, Dried Egg Product, Herring Oil, Turkey.

I like to see food with different protein sources in the "same category" such as turkey, chicken, duck, egg
OR beef, venison, lamb (NO chicken/egg/ect...)
OR an all fish formula with (NO chicken/egg/ect...)

I do however like the prebiotics/probiotics. Those are a really nice addition. As for price point I would say $5-7 for a 5lb bag. I currently feed TOTW and it is $10 per 5llbs for a totally grain free formula with mid-high protein. I do have the same gripe with two of the TOTW formulas as I did with your product (too many protein sources in one formula, I don't want any chicken or eggs in my "bison" formula).

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Here is an ingredient list for you view.

Chicken Meal, Barley, Brown Rice, Menhaden Fish Meal, Chicken Fat with mixed tocopherols, Salmon Meal, Lamb Meal, Dried Egg Product, Herring Oil, Natural Flavors, Turkey, Alfalfa Meal, Whole Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Mixing Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E, Choline Chloride, Canola Oil, Green Peas, L-Lysine, Blueberries, Cranberries, Carrots, Garlic, Parsley, Potato, Spinach, Yams, Apples, Glucosamine, Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium thermophilum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium pseudolongum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Iron), Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Manganese), Copper Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Copper), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Ascorbate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate (Source of Chelated Cobalt), Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract.
Agree about the protein sources. Not a fan of something for everybody type foods. Split this up more, have a poultry a red meat and a fish food instead. I am definitely not a fan of all the bits of fruits and vegetables. WHY? It is ridiculous having all that stuff in one food. There isn't enough for nutrition, it is only there to look good to the consumer, isn't it? While it may look good on the label it also stops picky shoppers with allergic dogs from picking up the kibble the same as having all the meats in one kibble. Flaxseed isn't very digestible for dogs, guess it goes through the kibble process better than other Omega 3 sources? And why does Lysine have to be supplemented? And what are natural flavors, why can they not be named?

First thing I look for as a clue to how much meat is in a food is how high the phosphorus source is listed. Higher the phosphorus lower the meat. Uh, none listed. That means plenty of meat in there! I also really like the minerals used, chelated and proteinates are more available than sulfates I believe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input. Taking what you said into consideration would the following formula fit what you would like to see. The protein level on this product would be 27% and 16% fat. I would like to hear more opinions.

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Barley, Brown Rice,Oat Groats, Chicken Fat with mixed tocopherols, Dried Egg Product, Herring Oil, Natural Flavors, Alfalfa Meal, Whole Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Mixing Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E, Choline Chloride, Canola Oil, Green Peas, L-Lysine, Blueberries, Cranberries, Glucosamine, Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium thermophilum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium pseudolongum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Iron), Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Manganese), Copper Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Copper), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Ascorbate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate (Source of Chelated Cobalt), Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
Forgive me, but it concerns me that you would be altering the composition of a dog food based on the opinions of a few strangers on a dogforum.

I mean no disrespect to you, or to those who are offering opinions here, but (to my knowledge) none of us are experts in canine nutrition.

I am (regrettably) fond of analogies. I drive 100 miles/day. I know what I like about my vehicle and what I don't like. But if the automotive engineers asked me to design their next entry into the Let's-Save-Detroit sweepstakes, I'd have to decline.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts