Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are lots of different brands our there, and I'm curious what other people use. I've used Advantage, Frontline, and Heartgard, but to be honest, I never really paid attention to the differences, I just did what my vet told me to. But I'd love to hear what everyone else uses, why they chose that one, if they'd tried any of the other brands, why they switched, etc.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
583 Posts
jfinner1 ,

I use an Ivermectin solution for heartworm prevention with my hounds 12 months a year.

Frontline Plus is what I use for flea and tick protection. You may also need to treat the yard area , however , if your dogs eat grass you will need to be careful with this. I will treat an area with tank sprayer and then lightly water in to rinse off grass.

Comparison chart: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=580

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Comfortis for fleas. I have used frontline earlier this year, and I swear the fleas fed off of it! I use the Adams spray for ticks.

Heartworm prevention, I have switched to liquid ivermectin. Heartgard has failed miserably in the Mississippi valley region. I tried a couple of the combo drugs, and wasn't happy with results.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I use Frontline Plus and Heartgard Plus, but I'm interested in the pill form, if it's effective - less mess compared to Frontline Plus. Anyone have positive results from any of them?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Biscuit gets Fronline Plus and Interceptor, but obviously that is going to have to change if they don't start making Interceptor again soon! Does anyone use Trifexis? If you use a combo like that (worms/fleas), what do you do for ticks?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Biscuit gets Fronline Plus and Interceptor, but obviously that is going to have to change if they don't start making Interceptor again soon! Does anyone use Trifexis? If you use a combo like that (worms/fleas), what do you do for ticks?
With Interceptor not available right now I went with heartguard and use Frontline for fleas and ticks. I liked the idea of trifexis but since it doesn't cover ticks I have to keep using Frontline which is still effective in this area. It wasn't at all when we went to the outer banks almost 2 years ago though, Jubel was covered in bites the week we spent down there.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I use Frontline Plus and Heartgard Plus, but I'm interested in the pill form, if it's effective - less mess compared to Frontline Plus. Anyone have positive results from any of them?
What you are using is exactly what I use. I am however going to ask about revolution the next vet visit. I also do not like how much liquid is in the Frontline Plus. Revolution is a very tiny tube. I am not sure if you can give revolution with other preventatives though?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
With Interceptor not available right now I went with heartguard and use Frontline for fleas and ticks. I liked the idea of trifexis but since it doesn't cover ticks I have to keep using Frontline which is still effective in this area. It wasn't at all when we went to the outer banks almost 2 years ago though, Jubel was covered in bites the week we spent down there.
Interesting - we went to the Outer Banks last September and had no problem with ticks using Frontline. We don't go in many tick-infested areas on a regular basis, but in the summer I do prefer to use an anti-tick product...sigh. I wish there was a product that was for ticks only.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Interesting - we went to the Outer Banks last September and had no problem with ticks using Frontline. We don't go in many tick-infested areas on a regular basis, but in the summer I do prefer to use an anti-tick product...sigh. I wish there was a product that was for ticks only.
No he didn't get ticks in the outer banks he got LOTS of bug bites, not sure if they were fleas or not. Thankfully whatever it was didn't come back to NoVA with us. The locals told me frontline doesn't do a thing for their dogs there.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I use the new injectable that is good for 6 months.....
Please be careful. I just read a story tonight on fb about a dog who died from it. There s a reason it was taken off the market.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts