Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new neighbors asked my son (not his mother), if he would put his dog in another room because, she barks at them whenever the leave their front door. We have neighbors on the left and the right of us and Lola, has not barked at any neighbors in the past except for the new ones. The other neighbors have noisy children and are constantly running in and out of their house afterschool. She isn't bothered by them a bit. The neighbor tells my son that she barks every time she leaves her house whether she has her dog with her or not. (There are other dogs in the neighborhood and she shows interest in them but she doesn't bark). Ilya, tends to bark only if he sees the other dog. Our dogs don't normally bark.... before they moved in, it was a rare once or twice a month occurance. They don't bark at squirrels, rabbits, children, cars, knocks on doors, the delivery guy, very rare at other dogs (they whine mostly)no-one except the neighbors.

Well, here is my suspicion. I think the neighbors don't like her barking because she draws attention to the un-picked up poop their dog leaves around. Also, they walk very close to our windows and linger. Ilya is even alert whenever their door opens and seems to keep his eyes on them until they are not around.

I told my son, it's our dog barking in our house in the daytime (and ruining our blinds) so, I don't really care to lock her up in a different room. Their dog isn't the quietest also whenever anyone walks past their house so I don't know why we have to keep ours in line.

Could I be wrong? I guess I'm wondering if I am being fair.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Its your dog in your house. I dont think you are being unfair at all. To me it sounds like you just have nosey (at the least) neighbors and your dog is trying to warn you.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
When your dog barks at them does the barking go on and on or will the dog/s stop after a short time or when you tell them to?

It is your house and day time but if the barking is long or loud enough where someone complains, you could possibly get a citation for noise. Plus, I'm sure you'd like to stay on at least neutral terms with your neighbor if not on actual good terms. Is there any way to block off access to the window the dogs use to bark at these neighbors without having to lock the dogs up in another room? And what about correcting the dogs for inappropriate barking when they start up under this particular circumstance?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When your dog barks at them does the barking go on and on or will the dog/s stop after a short time or when you tell them to?

?
I had wondered the same thing because, they don't really bark when we are around.

I thought I would set up the online web cam to spy on Ilya and Lola to see what they do all day when we are gone. Ilya's tummy is making him upset again and I can't figure out why. He's eating grass but he won't throw up and seems mopy. I'm still keeping my eyes open because I'm not sure what caused Lola to fly into the middle of the blinds in the dining room in the middle of the morning. I hadn't seen the neighbors that morning and it was very dark outside. She hit the window pretty hard and made the strangest loud whiney bark.

After a year and a half... could they become more territorial to new people? Then usually just listen to outside noises but don't react.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
You're in the right. Tell her if she has a problem with the dogs, that they're your dogs, not your sons, and to address concerns with you. And if she doesn't want the dogs to bark at her, if they are in fact doing so, then tell her to stay out of your yard.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I will assume these people live in a separate house and are not in adjacent apartmnets? You live in separate houses but next door? do you share a common wall?

Dog barking can be annoying, but it almost sounds like they need to MTOB.....

Meanwhile, working with your dog to teach your dog that barking at the window is unacceptable is probably in order (and it should make your house less noisy).

PS: If they adults of one house said this to you son instead of you, you might want to say something to them about approaching you and not puting your son in the middle.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I'm not sure what you meant by lingering, but I am suspicious of lingering. Since I don't like people anyway and expect very little from them it's not a problem for me. It's your home tell your neighbor to keep son out of it. It's kinda funny the hitting the window thing maybe your dog knows something that you don't.

Definitely try the web camera idea.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I actually had a similar situation recently, a neighbor told me my dogs like to bark at her when she walked her dog by my house...of course I was never home to see, but it isn't something they usually do unless someone actually comes to the door. Then they did it one day while I was home, and I looked out the window to see this neighbor with her dog on a flexi, letting him wander all the way up to my front porch. Doesn't necessarily bother me, but don't expect my dogs not to bark, you know? I didn't even say anything, just waved, and it hasn't happened again. I think you are in the right, the dogs are well contained indoors and it's daytime, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would understand your neighbors position more if it were an apartment or if your windows were open and they were afraid your dogs might go through the screen or something. If she says something to you, you might explain that her kids are very loud and disturbing also, or that they are coming into your yard.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I currently rent a newer styled townhouse and we share a wall, but it is completely soundproof. She also share the same path to our doorway except, the doors are no where near each other (at least, 50' apart). I can't really tell when they come and go, but I can hear the other neighbor (with the children) open and shut their door all the time. The houses are not aligned in in consecutive row and my other neighbor is on the left and sort of on the 2nd floor, so we have the entire north side with a large patio. Maybe her dog is teasing our dog because she marks and poops near all of our windows and patio area. :mad: I don't even allow our dogs to use the restroom there and never unpicked up. It's bascially our yard because her yard is on the opposite side and poopless.

Ilya generally isn't friendly, but he has his comfort zone. I thought Lola had seen a rabbit because the weather warmed up a bit and we have been seeing them everywhere. She's alert, but doesn't dart or bark towards them. My younger son has been trying to get her to bark for 6 months at the squirrels or rabbits so he can start hunting (?) (he wants her to tree them like the dogs did in the movie Where the Red Fern Grows, but she has a rare whiney bark if we are lucky)

Meanwhile, working with your dog to teach your dog that barking at the window is unacceptable is probably in order (and it should make your house less noisy).
That is the hard part. :( They don't bark when we are there at all unless my son is withholding a rib bone and forgot to give it to her. With the children and delivery people running past the doorway constatly, I haven't caught them barking at them, not even the maintenance people who change our lightbulbs (Ilya growls at them if they enter without notifying me first, so I know to crate him when they need to replace lightbulbs).

I guess I'll just be cordial. I don't particularly like these cigarrette flicking neighbors who have very strange early morning habits. I'm going to put the web cam back on and see if anything else strange is going on. Just a few more months before our house is ready for us to move in.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I'm sorry you have problematic neighbors. : ( And owning a dog only makes them worse as far as I can see.

Every terrible neighbor I've lived next to would come up with any reason in the world to nag and complain about our dogs. -.-

Like you said, just be cordial, there is nothing stating you have to be friendly and besties with jerks like them.

As far as your dog goes, she's got every right to bark at them if they're coming in close quarters of your home! Maybe if they weren't so suspicious they wouldn't have a problem with it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts