Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a dog yesterday and the previous owner said her parents both had some wolf in them. The mom was wolf and GSD and the dad was Alaska Malamute and wolf...

The last picture she is sleeping, my 4 year informed me that she looks dead.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You have a very nice dog. Is she a puppy or is she full grown? She appears to be predominantly husky though malamute is possible as well, and some GSD. There is no wolf in this dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She will be 2 in January. She is very timid especially towards men. She will warn up to them. My husband had to regain her trust again every time he will leave and come back. Now granted we have only had get for a day...

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
She will be 2 in January. She is very timid especially towards men. She will warn up to them. My husband had to regain her trust again every time he will leave and come back. Now granted we have only had get for a day...
That has more to do with socialization and how the dog was raised than wolf content. I see absolutely nothing in those pictures that makes me think this dog has any wolf in her. Judging by the pictures and the fact that she is pretty much full grown I am going to say that she is probably predominantly husky with maybe a little malamute and GSD. It is super common for people to sell "wolf dogs" that are really just husky mixes, usually with GSD and malamute, sometimes even collies. My husky x gsd is supposed to be part wolf, she isn't. The people who owned her mother insisted that she was 98% wolf. It is possible her mother was low content but that would translate to her being so low content that it didn't even matter. She looks like a husky x GSD so that is what she is.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I agree with Remaru. If your dog did have any wolf any it, the percentage would be so low that it would not matter. GSD back in the day had wolf blood in it. Supposedly, you can find it on some papers if you trace back far enough. I have never investigated the claim. You are thinking that it is wolf because of the coloring, which it got from a northern bred parent. The body structure appears to be what is considered to be more 'wolf' like than husky looking which your dog got from the GSD parent.
The fearfulness your dog is displaying could be how it was treated by the previous owner. It is not uncommon for dogs or animals to display fear against a male human being compared to a female human being. I once was given a horse who hated men in hats. Her fear had turned to aggressiveness and I can only come to the conclusion a man wearing a baseball hat had been very mean to her.

Plus, I do not know where you live but check your laws to see if wolf dogs are legal where you live. Plus, if you claim that dog is part wolf and it bites somebody the rabies shot is not considered in wolf hybrids and your dog would have to be tested for rabies. I only know of one way they test for rabies in a dog and it is not pretty.

A lot of dogs that are mixes look to be wolfy. Look at Alaskan huskies, Tamaskans, http://www.blustagtamaskan.com/gallery.php Czechoslovakian http://www.czechoslovakianvlcak.org/ these dogs all look wolfy but it is due to breeding which can happen in random litters when you cross northern breed dogs with other dog breeds. It happened to me with one of my dogs. Her parents were GSD, Malamute, and husky. I get comments all the time she looks like a wolf. She may look like one but thank goodness she does not act like one. Hybrids are a pain to own sometimes because of their destructive behaviors and wanting to escape all the time.

BTW- your dog is pretty and that hopefully she will work out for you is the important thing.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Gorgeous dog!

I agree with what's been said though, no wolf - honestly though, that's a good thing. In most places, wolf hybrids are not legal for ownership and often times are apprehended and euthanized :( So claiming your dog has wolf in their blood can land you in a lot of trouble

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see Alaskan malamute in the face. I feel as though Huskies have a more harsh face. Her slim body is most likely from her GSD genes

·
Registered
515 Posts
Pretty dog, however I'm not seeing any wolf content in her.
I myself am the owner of wolfdogs and you should be able to see some wolf traits showing if she had any in her.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I wish people would look at photos of actual wolves before claiming their dogs are "wolf dogs" (that statement is aimed at the dog's original owner, not OP).

There is such a distinct difference between the dog in OP's post and the dogs in Cindy23323's. Everything from the face, to the body language, to the color.

OP, I agree with the others - there's small to nil wolf content in your dog. She's most likely predominantly Husky with a bit of Malamute in her. I don't really even see any GSD.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Yea, if both parents had wolf in them, your pup would look much more like Cindy's wolfdogs. And like most others have said, it's probably best that she isn't part wolf - that can end badly for everyone....be it behavior issues, legal issues or both.

She is VERY beautiful, though!! Hope to see more of her cuteness around here :)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
This is my husky x GSD

winter coat

summer coat

She is roughly the same age as your dog, she was also claimed to be mid-content wolfdog (but she is retriever type social, she has never met a stranger).

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
A lot of dogs that are mixes look to be wolfy. Look at Alaskan huskies, Tamaskans, http://www.blustagtamaskan.com/gallery.php Czechoslovakian http://www.czechoslovakianvlcak.org/ these dogs all look wolfy but it is due to breeding which can happen in random litters when you cross northern breed dogs with other dog breeds.
Quoting this for a bit because Czechoslovakian wolfdogs are not the result of mixes of northern breed dogs that happened to get wolfy looking offspring. This breed originates from wolf x GSD crosses, just like the Saarloos wolfdog.

Jhardwick, you've got a pretty dog. :) She seems predominately husky to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts