Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These 'rescued' 8 month old pups are advertised as both Tibetan Spaniels in one ad, and Tibetan Terrier/Cocker Spaniel mixes in another.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:mbRAYsi9Q_sJ:bc.kijiji.ca/c-pets-dogs-puppies-for-sale-Tibetan-Spaniel-W0QQAdIdZ377891097+"tibetan+spaniel"+kijiji&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:EGbk9zkKTJEJ:kelowna.kijiji.ca/c-pets-dogs-puppies-for-sale-Tibetan-Terrier-Cocker-Spaniel-W0QQAdIdZ377891097+1-250-545-0158+tibetan+spaniel&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

My inclination, looking at the photos of the "Tibbies" advertised is that they have some Cocker in them BUT they are certainly not Tibetan Terrier x Cocker or the bearded face would prevail. They might be Tibbie x Cocker. If you google the phone number you will find a website and other ads from this poster suggesting this might not be a rescue situation including ads for Papillon x Cocker Spaniels.

Has 'rescue' become the new sales tactic?

SOB

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yes, I think so. There was a local puppymill that was advertising their pups as "rescues", and even got non-profit status. They eventually lost their non-profit but I was still seeing ads from them for a while. I haven't seen any for a few months, though.

It stinks that you have to look into a "rescue" just as much as you would a breeder. Can't trust anybody anymore.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think so, those puppy mill, and backyard breeder people have to be sneakier now how they sell their dogs. Hey, whatever it takes to make a buck right? It's unfortunate that the world is going downhill :(

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I've seen some 'rescues' nearish here and many of their dogs are purebred toy breed puppies. I find that hard to believe in this area that you would just happen to have all these desirable purebred and designer cross puppies.

As for those dogs my first thought is peke or tibbie and cavalier.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I don't know much about spaniels, but I do find it odd that certain "rescues" in PA always have litters of puppies, especially desirable breeds/mixes. Always. I've been looking at petfinder and adoptapet.com since the middle of November and these two "rescues" have had litter after litter of puppies consistently since then. And it's never an inconvenient cross like 10 akita/mastiff puppies, it's always oodles and puggles.

There really is nothing too low for a puppy mill, is there.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've seen some 'rescues' nearish here and many of their dogs are purebred toy breed puppies. I find that hard to believe in this area that you would just happen to have all these desirable purebred and designer cross puppies.

As for those dogs my first thought is peke or tibbie and cavalier.
Ya, I can see a few combos that would fit. I thought Tibbie x Cavalier as well - but in those the red coloring is usually more intense - not as red as a Cavalier but not usually really light like that one pup either. The intensity gene seems to work as a dominant (incomplete) and would be homozygous in the Cavalier parent. Rarely there are lighter colored Cavalier pups that show up, meaning there are still some dogs in the breed carrying the lighter color though, and there are so many lightening modifiers that aren't figure out, so Cavalier is a possibility.

SOB

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Sydney came from a puppy-only "rescue." They claimed to get their puppies from people with oops litters and always "encouraged" them to spay/neuter or surrender the mother. They also mentioned getting a lot of puppies from the Amish from people who did not agree with speutering their dogs based on their religious beliefs (probably true, they had primarily herding breed mixes). I've linked the rescue before and had a discussion about it so I don't want to dredge it all up again but I've come to terms with the fact that she either came from a puppy mill sold as a rescue or at the very least a rescue that might be taking litter after litter from the same people who "accidentally" breed their dogs. Either way, it's not something I would support ever again. I just thought at the time, hey she's listed on petfinder, right? Must be legit. You really do always have to research these things. I wish I had.

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
I don't know much about spaniels, but I do find it odd that certain "rescues" in PA always have litters of puppies, especially desirable breeds/mixes. Always. I've been looking at petfinder and adoptapet.com since the middle of November and these two "rescues" have had litter after litter of puppies consistently since then. And it's never an inconvenient cross like 10 akita/mastiff puppies, it's always oodles and puggles.

There really is nothing too low for a puppy mill, is there.
Yep, I get a whole lot more suspicious when its designer dogs, popular small dog breeds and/or highly priced AND only puppies available.

To be fair, not every rescue that often has puppies is a front of some kind. Since I've been helping with one rescue here locally, I think they've had 3 litters of puppies available so typically have 5-6 per year. But then, they are all pit bulls or pit bull mixes which are incredibly over bred and carelessly bred AND the mother is always available for adoption too. I've seen the intake- usually pulled from the city shelter when they get a call about a pregnant pit bull - so I have a good idea of the source of the litters.

·
Registered
801 Posts
There are 'rescues' out there that do indeed take in strays and abandoned dogs but also go to auctions to buy desirable puppies to fund their operation. Obviously, the puppies bought at auction means that the puppymillers that bred them make money but the 'rescue' still feels they saved a dog rather than bought it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My friend has what she calls a 'Shih Poo.' I never really pressed her about where she got him, but when I asked casually when she got the dog, she gave me the weirdest story. She says she saw an ad in the paper that was a rescue who had raided a dog hoarder and had puppies that needed homes. She says she paid $50 for a dog she was told was 6 months old. The dog has tons of behavior issues, which could be resolved if she was consistent in its training, (barks at everything and everyone, will not come when called, won't get within 6 feet of you, won't walk on a leash, won't potty train.) However, she received the dog unaltered and had him for another 6 months before I convinced her to get him neutered. The puppy she thought she had 'adopted' from this 'rescue' was not 6 months, it was in fact around 2 or 3 years old. I think my friend was in fact 'scammed' by a backyard breeder or puppy mill who claimed they were a 'rescue.' Or there is the more obvious she bought the dog from a backyard breeder or puppy mill and is embarrassed to tell me she did. Its the lack of requiring the dog to be neutered that put me on the idea it wasn't a real rescue.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Exactly

A big one that comes to mind is a certain "giant rescue" in CA.
...Run by a certain actor from a camp superhero series that played in the 60's that is not so much a rescue as a front for a puppy mill. Orange County CA has tried to shut him down but he seems to have the funds to fight any action the county AC can take. It's discusting.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
...Run by a certain actor from a camp superhero series that played in the 60's that is not so much a rescue as a front for a puppy mill. Orange County CA has tried to shut him down but he seems to have the funds to fight any action the county AC can take. It's discusting.
Not to mention his cult following, which probably plays a part in his "business" staying afloat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts