Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I like the philosophy of this, and agree with the method. I have some minor issues with the specific training, but nothing significant.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Not bad advice. When I am looking for settle, I tend to just mark with a word and drop treats rather than click, since click excites. I must be getting really old - so many of these trainers look like they belong in a boy band.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not bad advice. When I am looking for settle, I tend to just mark with a word and drop treats rather than click, since click excites. I must be getting really old - so many of these trainers look like they belong in a boy band.
Boy band haha :)

I will be using a marker word as well. I have a couple of questions since I want to really investigate this method thoroughly and try to utilize it.

1. When working this kind of exercise, should the food be high/mid/low value, i.e. hot dogs/dog treats/kibble? What would you guys recommend? Would a high value reward bring more arousal or more desire to be calm to get it?

2. Rather than the playpen, would this presumably work with the dog behind a baby gate in the next room? This of course assumes the dog wouJld have full view of me interacting with our guest, just a little smaller (doorway size) window to see everyone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts