Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some hunting around for a friend who is interested in a Golden Retriever puppy. I have no experience with breeders, but I know some things to look out for based on what I've learned here.

I'm really curious what some of you will think of this breeder. The website is difficult to navigate due to being full of info and clearly created by someone without a ton of design experience lol.

Opinions welcome!

Here's the breeder's site:

http://www.libertyrun.com/

·
Registered
529 Posts
It's interesting that they don't breed for show OR sport. However it seems like a good breeder. I would visit their home and ask a few questions. I'd be interested in how many litters a year they have, how they determine who to sell the puppies to, lineage papers, etc.

I've only been associated with breeders who breed for show. Many breeders in this case only have one litter a year at most. They can and often will be picky about who they sell their pups to. These breeders also make zero profit on their breeding, many will actually lose money each litter because they do not breed for profit.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's interesting that they don't breed for show OR sport. However it seems like a good breeder. I would visit their home and ask a few questions. I'd be interested in how many litters a year they have, how they determine who to sell the puppies to, lineage papers, etc.

I've only been associated with breeders who breed for show. Many breeders in this case only have one litter a year at most. They can and often will be picky about who they sell their pups to. These breeders also make zero profit on their breeding, many will actually lose money each litter because they do not breed for profit.
What's really odd is that some of their pups have gone on to do shows...and clearly they do shows with their own dogs.

I'm also unsure about a screening process - they don't mention one nor do they mention any sort of contract (like if you can't keep the dog you must return it). I was under the impression that most quality breeders absolutely included that stipulation.

Based on what I've seen on their Facebook, they seem to have 2 or 3 litters a year...or at least this year I think they have 2 or 3. Is that too many? I know nothing about that kind of thing. I knew to watch for folks who breed multiple breeds, but nothing about numbers.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Goldens aren't a rare breed, you can do much better. I don't see any actual numbers on the clearances they list and 'ofa' doesn't tell me if they did hips OR elbows. I'll PM you some more info but a good place to go ask is the golden retriever forum.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't even think about that! I didn't even know what an OFA was until a year ago. Thanks Bordermom!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm also unsure about a screening process - they don't mention one nor do they mention any sort of contract (like if you can't keep the dog you must return it). I was under the impression that most quality breeders absolutely included that stipulation.
There should be a written contract. If not, look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After taking a peek at the Golden Retriever forum that Bordermom recommended to me, I found 2 MUCH better breeder suggestions for my friend :) So, I'll pass them along.

Turns out that the breeder I mentioned doesn't do elbow screening and seems sketchy about the other tests she claims to have done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts