Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Borders is shutting down many of its stores and I had the opportunity to pick up this book at a fraction of the usual price and wanted to know what everyone thought of it..

Would you recommend it?
Is it a waste of my time to read it?
What do you think of it?

Oh, I suppose I should tell you what book I am talking about

Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know by Alexandra Horowitz

·
Registered
720 Posts
I don't' think any book is a waste of time to read. At best, you found a very informative and interesting book that you can apply to life with your own dog(s). At worst, you have a book that you can curse at and make fun of for the "advice" it dispenses. Win/win situation there :)

It also depends on how cheap we're talking. If it was $10 or less, I would pick it up without even looking at the back of it. Any more, I'd read the first few pages and go from there.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I picked it up at borders this weekend :D
Along with just about every other dog book they had. Bye bye pay check :)
I seem to have become a dog book library in my area.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you post a link to the book on Amazon or something so we don't have to search for it? :)
Its this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Dog-What-Dogs-Smell/dp/1416583408/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1312776290&sr=8-6

I picked it up at borders this weekend :D
Along with just about every other dog book they had. Bye bye pay check :)
I seem to have become a dog book library in my area.
:D I am sad Borders is closing though, it was my favorite book store.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks :) I am sad so many bookstores are closing as well, it's just the overheads which kill them, they can't match online prices or convenience

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, eReaders are going to be the death of paper books. I don't even like eReaders, looking at a screen like that for too long gives me an awful headache that lasts anywhere from 3 minutes to 3 days (literally).

And I like reading in the bath tub, and I would be too paraniod about dropping an eReader into the tub because then you are out 200-300 dollars vs 20 dollars for a book.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Lol I hate borders probably the worst bookstore I have used. Not sad to see them go and I love my ereader.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I agree, eReaders are going to be the death of paper books. I don't even like eReaders, looking at a screen like that for too long gives me an awful headache that lasts anywhere from 3 minutes to 3 days (literally).
Really? That's so weird. I have a Kindle, and for me it feels exactly like looking at a book, because the Kindle has electronic ink and is not backlit. Even knowing what to expect, I was amazed when I got it by how much it looks like a piece of paper!

I have a Kindle app on my iPad as well, but I know that staring at that bright screen for hours probably would hurt my eyes.

I do love real books and would rather read a real book than an electronic version, but I already have stacks of books everywhere and I don't have room for more! It's also so nice to be able to take the Kindle on vacation and not have to carry several books in my luggage. Plus e-books are cheaper than "real" books, so that's nice, too.

Back on topic: I skimmed the reviews, and the book doesn't sound like a waste of time or anything, but there are better books out there on how dogs think. I loved The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell, and I gather that Jean Donaldson's Culture Clash is really good, too.

labradorann, nothing beats having a good mentor to answer all of your questions (and possibly assist you with whelping your first litter), but here are some good e-books:

Canine Reproduction and Whelping (Instant eBook Download)
Newborn Puppy Intensive Care (Instant eBook Download)
Advanced Canine Reproduction and Puppy Care (Instant eBook Download)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts