Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have been researching the heck out of barf and raw diets and i have been reading a lot of users posts trying to figure out a decent menu to start with for my pitbull. this is what i came up with i was just wondering if anyone could point me out any problems with it or any suggestions that would further benefit my dog. this is based on breaking up 1# of meat and other ingredients 1/2 in morning, 1/2 at night. so here goes. thanks in advance for any suggestions i am sure that no one in here would guide me in the wrong direction.
monday: chicken backs, organs, veggie mix, fish oil

tuesday: turkey necks, organs, veggie mix, tripe

wednesday: ground turkey, veggie mix, eggs, yogurt

thursday: ground beef, veggie mix, eggs, yogurt, fish oil

friday: chicken backs, beef heart, veggie mix, tripe

saturday: turkey necks, organs, veggie mix, fish oil

sunday: ground turkey, veggie mix, tripe, eggs, yogurt

Attachments

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
i have been researching the heck out of barf and raw diets and i have been reading a lot of users posts trying to figure out a decent menu to start with for my pitbull. this is what i came up with i was just wondering if anyone could point me out any problems with it or any suggestions that would further benefit my dog. this is based on breaking up 1# of meat and other ingredients 1/2 in morning, 1/2 at night. so here goes. thanks in advance for any suggestions i am sure that no one in here would guide me in the wrong direction.
Chicken backs are a lot of bone (calcium) and I don't see the meat (phosphorus) to balance...

Why ground turkey and not whole pieces with bone???

Why ground, no bone??? Calcium : phosphorus out of balance

Ground???

I think you have some work to do yet on properly balancing calcium and phosphorus. I see you have yogurt on the days you are feeding boneless meats. But I'm guessing your dog would rather have the bones. And if you are substituting yogurt for the calcium, that's a mighty lot of yogurt to get the balance.

Also, most beginners start with whole chickens, cut up, for the first 2-6 weeks as it is the easiest protein for most dogs to digest in the beginning. Start with serving whole chcken pieces for a week or so until the gi system re-sets the digestive enzymes. Expect some hershey squirts while your dog's gut works things out. When things are fgoing well for 4-5 days in a row, then start adding a spoonful of chicken organs until you are up to 10% of the diet. Most of us don't feed a whole meal of organs as our dogs find it too rich by itself. Be sure to include liver for vitamins A & D.

Once you have gone all the way with chicken and chicken organs then choose another protein to try for the next week. I usually keep one meal per day as the chicken and introduce the other meal as the new protein. In fact, my dogs always get chicken as one meal of the day even now...easy to keep on hand, buy on sale, never run out. During the week you are introducing the new meat be sure to try the organs from that meat as well. Don't try more than one new meat each week. You need to be able to decipher what is causing problems if there is one. After you have tried all meats and their organs then feel free to mix things up as you choose.

If you are going to feed veggies be sure they are PULVERIZED all to heck as dogs do not have the gut enzyme necessary to break down plant cell walls. Some of us don't feed veggies or fruits at all. Personal choice.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I know my dog doesn't like the bone, maybe that's why. But personally, I think this looks great. You seem like you really love your dog by the way you prepared this menu. I personally feed Nature's Variety, Stella and Chewy's, etc.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Rather than have this nice menu figure out a weekly food list. Feeding 1 pound of food a day? Then 7 pounds a week. 112 ounces a week. 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other organ. So 11.2 ounces of bone, 5.6 ounces of liver and 5.6 ounces of other organ along with 90 ounces of meat, heart, tripe, yogurt, eggs. The veggies don't count in this at all. I figure necks and backs to be 50% bone so count half that weight to bone and half to meat. If you do that then you need 22.5 ounces of backs and necks and 80 ounces of meat etc. That is less than 1.5 pounds of backs and necks, not much.

Instead of turkey and chicken neckS and backS you will be feeding A neck or A back. One chicken back is easily 8 ounces! I would feed ONE egg and organ with the bone days as they can loosen the stool. And this is after you are feeding raw chicken and doing well. Add in one new thing at a time so it would takes a couple months to come up to this menu you have devised. After you have introduced all the foods then start cutting down the daily bone.

I am also concerned with the size of the chicken necks. My 38 pound dog swallowed one whole back when he was new to raw. They slide down nice and easy and then don't get much good out of them!

I would also use meat chunks rather than ground. Better exercise and ground beef is extremely fatty. Even 10% fat hamburger gets more than half its calories from fat. I would rather wrestle with fatty tongue than feed hamburger. Good chewing with tongue!

Max does better on one meal a day. His poop is better with a bit of bone in every meal and since dogs need only a small amount of bone one meal works better. He is getting grooming and training treats daily though.

I am still working on cutting down bone consumption, it is hard as the dogs love it so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts