Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just got a new puppy Trigger! The rescue agency told me that hes is a Gordon Setter mix, but they thought he may have some Rottweiler in him. I think he definitely has some Lab in him based on his coat and tail and webbed feet. Do yall think he is a gordon setter/lab, rottweiler/lab, doberman/lab, or some other mixture? thanks!

photo 1.JPG photo 4.jpg photo 5.JPG photo 3.jpg photo 2.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im pretty sure hes a mix, but i dont know why they said gordon setter mix unless the agency saw something that i dont. they originally said he was a rottie mix but i dont see that either

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
He could have lab in him. Not all shelter people are good at identifying breeds.

Doberman Puppy

Gordon Setter Puppy

Rottie Puppy

*none of these images are mine, got them from google

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Eh, technically no, not in the way that labs do. They do have some webbing though. Dreizehn has a little bit but it doesn't exceed more than maybe 1/2 the length of his toes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
from what ive read webbed toes is really common among lots of breeds of dogs so it's not a good thing to use to indicate breed. ive found that body structure and head shape go a lot farther in terms of deciphering a breed.

i'd say your puppy does look a lot like a pure doberman, but it'll be easier to figure out when the dog is fully matured. puppy features change fast and sometimes drastically.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Hard to tell yet - but the shape of his head/ears looks more Setter-ish to me. Maybe he's GS & Dobe?

A cutie patootie either way! =)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Very much resembles dobie to me too, however I noticed his coat his a bit more long/rough than most purebred dobie puppies I've seen, so either he's poorly bred, or perhaps one parent was a purebred dobie, and the other a mix dobie. Tough call though, he's beautiful!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very much resembles dobie to me too, however I noticed his coat his a bit more long/rough than most purebred dobie puppies I've seen, so either he's poorly bred, or perhaps one parent was a purebred dobie, and the other a mix dobie. Tough call though, he's beautiful!
He was not advertised purebred, or even dobie at all so I'm sure he's a mix cuz they told us gordon mix. So do y'all think it could have been a dobie with some lab in it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for their imput! Keep them coming! Well since I dont know much about dobermans does anyone have any good information on them? Like raising them or behavior or how big they get? I'd really appreciate it!

·
Registered
943 Posts
He was not advertised purebred, or even dobie at all so I'm sure he's a mix cuz they told us gordon mix. So do y'all think it could have been a dobie with some lab in it?
Unless this rescue group has some kind of proof he is infact a gordon setter mix, I'd say he's most likely to be a dobie (purebred or mix) than a gordon setter and that gordon setter was just a wild guess based on the fact he resembles one (minus long shaggy hair). When most people think of a doberman they probably think docked tail, ears, short coat, etc, but they are all born with long tails and floppy ears..

anyway I don't really see any lab or anything else but doberman in him at the moment, its very possible he is a mix of some kind but I wouldn't be surprised if he was just a poorly bred doberman either, or a 3/4 dobie mixed with something else, but I can't put my finger on anything else. It is really tough to tell with most puppies for sure, you will get a better idea as he matures and fills out.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Right now he looks like a purebred dobie but that could change. And its even possible that he is a mix but the other breed(s) won't show up. I know someone that had a known mixed breed litter of pups and they all grew up to look like purebred samoyeds. Genetics are funny like that.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
While it is more likely that he is mixed (I'm guessing dobie x dobie/lab) and/or poorly bred, there is such thing as a coated doberman. It very rarely pops up.

This is Jackson who is a dog up for adoption at a doberman rescue in Florida, Doberman Rescue Alliance. He's "coated" :D

·
Registered
11,408 Posts
A lot of rescues will pick a similar looking but non-"scary" breed to help up a dog's adoption chances and to make the paperwork show a breed that doesn't have quite so many restrictions on it (apartment rentals, home owners insurance etc often list Dobes as a banned breed)

Looks all Dobe to me; aside from that, Gordon Setters aren't exactly a common breed and especially not common to end up in a shelter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
does anyone have any good information on Dobermans? or any good websites aobut them that i can check out? thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts