Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Orijen is one of the most popular premium kibbles here in North America. I've fed Orijen to all of my fosters without issue (and I've fostered seniors, dogs with food sensitivity, etc.). Just make sure not to overfeed because it's super dense, and a lot of dogs get diarrhea because people assume they can feed the same amount as regular kibble. I think I was feeding my 50 lbs foster maybe 1 cup a day.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
overfeeding is not a risk- my dog is not a big fan of food- he's free fed and eats only when hungry. My main concern is if he's going to actually eat it- he likes to refuse some of the brands- and seriously. he will not eat :)
and he's not getting any weight on even though he has access to food 24/7

Other than that his stomach and skin are very sensitive. Since i got him over a year ago, i've been trying slowly different foods and some of them would cause bad diarrhea or vomiting. I ended up with Royal Canine for German Shepherds- maybe it's not the best food in the world but dog is not vomiting, has no diarrhea and is not scratching. Woman in Pet shop told me about Orijen... and i'm thinking if to introduce it to my dog, although it is expensive, £20 more than what we pay now

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about Acana? is it any good? its apparently the same company

·
Registered
126 Posts
Highly overrated and very misleading company. If you are familiar with the term "ingredient splitting" this company has taken that practice to new limits.

If you Google "problems with Orijen/Acana", "soft stools with Orijen", "digestive problems with Orijen" or any derivation of that phrase you will read actual customer experiences.

It was certainly a phenomenon here in the USA.

You will often see the response you saw above, that it is not Orijen's fault it is the owner's fault.

Historically, the company has had quality issues that seem to get overlooked.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I've read as far people were saying that Orijen was too rich in protein for many dogs but when they've switched to Acana it was much better...
Hearing this I'd probably start with Acana as my dog has them tendencies..
I'm hearing a lot of bad stuff about Royal Canin but to be honest in UK we don't have that much choice of GOOD QUALITY dog food... So now lady in pet shop told me about orijen- the only thing is- OMG what a price! If i get him used to food that costs £67/13kg then how am i going to afford it when in some time we want to take in another large breed dog £67 (x 2 = £134) comparing to price of royal canine £42 (x 2 = £84)
Acana seems more affordable but would love to hear any feedback

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
My dogs never did well on Orijen or Acana, they had diarrhea. I've seen the same in a lot of clients' dogs. Some dogs do great on it, though. Like any other food really - some do well, some don't.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
overfeeding is not a risk- my dog is not a big fan of food- he's free fed and eats only when hungry. My main concern is if he's going to actually eat it- he likes to refuse some of the brands- and seriously. he will not eat :)
and he's not getting any weight on even though he has access to food 24/7

Other than that his stomach and skin are very sensitive. Since i got him over a year ago, i've been trying slowly different foods and some of them would cause bad diarrhea or vomiting. I ended up with Royal Canine for German Shepherds- maybe it's not the best food in the world but dog is not vomiting, has no diarrhea and is not scratching. Woman in Pet shop told me about Orijen... and i'm thinking if to introduce it to my dog, although it is expensive, £20 more than what we pay now
Honestly it wouldn't hurt to try. I know some picky dogs LOVE the taste of Orijen.

What about Acana? is it any good? its apparently the same company
Yes, Acana is good as well. They came out with a grain free LID line so that might work better for your guy :)

Highly overrated and very misleading company. If you are familiar with the term "ingredient splitting" this company has taken that practice to new limits.

If you Google "problems with Orijen/Acana", "soft stools with Orijen", "digestive problems with Orijen" or any derivation of that phrase you will read actual customer experiences.

You will often see the response you saw above, that it is not Orijen's fault it is the owner's fault.

The company really hasn't had quality issues (by quality issues I am assuming you mean recalls).

I worked at a pet boutique where Orijen is one of the top selling brands. Out of all the customers I have spoken to, only a handful had the issues you mentioned above. This is my personal experience though.

I do think it's overpriced and some things are overlooked, though (such as ash content and yes, they do split the ingredients somewhat).

·
Registered
334 Posts
If your dog has sensitive skin and stomach issues I don't think I would try Orijen as it has so many ingredients. You may want to find a dog food that has a simpler formula.

Having said that, I fed Orijen to my dachshund for years and he did fine on it. Some other dogs I know were very gassy and had loose stools, so like some of the other posters said, not every food works for every dog.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oatmeal is on Acana with the various grainfree flavours, mainly Ranchlands though as it smells the best to me =)

He has had no issues with it whatsoever. Weight is great as his coat.

He is on a rotation with Fromm, every other LARGE bag I switch him. Both grainfree lines though. Might be worth giving a shot? I had Oatmeal on the Royal Canin for Golden Retrievers prior to this as they had a specific line just for the goldens. But I do notice that with Royal Canin, the kibble is very oily where as there is no residue (except for crumbs) with both the Acana and the Fromm.

Whichever you decide to try, good luck!

·
Registered
409 Posts

The same can be said about every company.

Plain and simple, some dogs can handle them, some dogs can't. No food is perfect for every dog despite the price/ingredients/manufacturer,etc

Our pup had loose stools on Orijen but has excelled on Acana. The loose stools on the Orijen were likely due to a chicken intolerance though causing other problems in his system which has been worked out now.

Either way, its a great food. The only way to know whether its right for your dog or not is to actually try it out for a 2-3 month trial period

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update on my dog vs Orijen food- i decided to slowly give it a try and started mixing it with old food which was Royal Canine for German Shepherds- the effect is-....

I am not able to slowly get him used to eating Orijen, as.... he picks up Orijen and leaves Royal Canine A) on a side B) outside bowl

LOL

I still keep feeding him Royal Canine until we finish the food container, but after that I'm switching to Orijen definitely (he'll eat Royal Canine eventually at night when he didn't get it mixed with Orijen)- I've never seen my dog to actually like dog food. He does like Orijen. And even though in the past we had loads of problems with skin and stomach sensitivity with different kinds of food we've tried (that's why i stayed with Royal Canine which didn't cause itchiness or loose stool/ diarrhea )., he has no such problems since I introduced Orijen few weeks ago, which is really good sign.
The only minus i see is the size of kibble- really could be bigger. And price- like "oh, come on! £68???"

·
Registered
467 Posts
Keep an eye on her skin/stool after you switch completely. My dog was fine while she was getting Orijen mixed with the old food. However, after she switched completely to Orijen she was scratching a lot and she developed dandruff.
She's doing great on Acana Grasslands now. Been feeding it for a few months now and absolutely no problems.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
update on my dog vs Orijen food- i decided to slowly give it a try and started mixing it with old food which was Royal Canine for German Shepherds- the effect is-....

I am not able to slowly get him used to eating Orijen, as.... he picks up Orijen and leaves Royal Canine A) on a side B) outside bowl

LOL

I still keep feeding him Royal Canine until we finish the food container, but after that I'm switching to Orijen definitely (he'll eat Royal Canine eventually at night when he didn't get it mixed with Orijen)- I've never seen my dog to actually like dog food. He does like Orijen. And even though in the past we had loads of problems with skin and stomach sensitivity with different kinds of food we've tried (that's why i stayed with Royal Canine which didn't cause itchiness or loose stool/ diarrhea )., he has no such problems since I introduced Orijen few weeks ago, which is really good sign.
The only minus i see is the size of kibble- really could be bigger. And price- like "oh, come on! £68???"
Great to hear your guy is doing well on it! I have never had trouble feeding Orijen, except with one dog who was a stray for all her life so basically lived off of hunted animals and garbage lol!

And yes, I do agree it's a bit overpriced :/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts