Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
There's no real reason you can't walk a 9 week old pup, just might have to carry him around when he gets tired or sick of it :) unless the problem is that he can't keep up. I started walking Ellie before Buddha just so the little guy could get a rest from her, he was the unhealthy runt and she was a million miles an hour... now they both are 2 million miles an hour. Being whippet mix they love running around as fast as possible just as much as lazing around doing nothing.
There are risks with walking a puppy that young, especially since they are not fully vaccinated until 16 weeks (if memory serves me right). So you REALLY have to be careful where you take him. Like, NO PUBLIC PLACES, like pet stores, local parks, etc. until then. Parvo is a terrible disease, and is EVERYWHERE. Just be careful until he's done with his vaccinations. Also, keep in mind that a dog can carry Parvovirus and NOT suffer from it. Just be careful.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There's no real reason you can't walk a 9 week old pup, just might have to carry him around when he gets tired or sick of it :) unless the problem is that he can't keep up. I started walking Ellie before Buddha just so the little guy could get a rest from her, he was the unhealthy runt and she was a million miles an hour... now they both are 2 million miles an hour. Being whippet mix they love running around as fast as possible just as much as lazing around doing nothing.
well broseph is like, a really big idaho potato wth two inch legs... i don't even think he's three pounds yet, but he's pretty slow and looks a little drunk sometimes... so walking is difficult. I take him out in a dog purse for walks with us sometimes, just depends.. :) but yea, i think itll be a fe more weeks before he can keep up

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
When it was just Esther, she spent mild days in a 12x18 foot outdoor kennel. In our neighborhood, I figured the odds of someone hurting her in there were about the same as that of someone breaking into the house and hurting her or of the house burning down with her in it - finite, but remote.

Molly, though, is a barker, and a dog who barks for eight hours straight is at risk from irate neighbors, from the police, or both. When she moved in with us, the girls spent their days in the "dog room" which was a large, finished recreation room in our basement. Tile floor, heated and with a fireplace (which they were not allowed to use) and thoroughly dog-proofed (which, by the way, is a lot harder than you'd imagine.)

Eventually, they earned the right to have the run of the house while we are gone. The only way to know that for sure was to try it. It's called a leap-of-faith. In two years, there have been two "accidents" plus a few fuzzy slippers chewed up. Four days each week, they might be alone for up to nine hours, between the time I leave and the time my wife comes home. They apparently spend their days sleeping in the sun or looking out the windows. When we get home, they are - of course - ready to party.

That's the key. You can't expect to come home after a long day at work and veg out on the couch because, in all likelihood, your dog has been vegging all day (probably on your couch) and is going to need some mental and physical stimulation when you get home. Otherwise, your dog will get bored and there are few forces of nature as destructive as a seriously bored dog.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My pup will be crated when I'm gone, if it's going to be for the whole day she's going to 'daycare' down the road and I'll pick her up when I'm done. But for the most part it'll be a few hours in a crate till hubby comes home and then he'll take her out. The pup we're sitting right now will likely party with my pup at daycare (which isn't really a daycare, it's a small boarding kennel and the two will have time to play outside etc.).

The other option will be someone coming in to walk her but I'll have to see who can do that. I know a few neighbors who could, but one thinks dogs learn by yelling the command over and over at them (she attempted to teach someone's puppy to sit by yelling 'SIT' at the pup about 30 times - I counted!) and the other has a dog but he's a horrible puller so don't want her to be teaching my pup that it's ever ok to drag humans around while you gag and choke...

Lana

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I have never, nor will I ever, leave a dog outside when we're gone. For us, it depends on the dog whether they're crated or loose in the house. Boone is fine loose as long as the windows are closed as he's reactive to the outside world. Ginger is 15mos old and absolutely cannot be left loose so she is crated.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts