Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are away from home for long hours of the day, what do you do with you pup(s)? Do you crate them?

What does their crate schedule look like during the week?

What do you think of out door kennels?

What about outdoor/garage kennels with heated flooring and siding?

if you leave your dogs in the house but not in a crate, where do you keep them? Are they able to hold their potty for that long? How did you train them to do that?

I have a 9 week old pup and 1 1/2 year old pup. I don't keep them together yet, just because though there hasn't been any conflict between the two, and they actually play together wonderfully, I still feel Broseph is a little too small to be left with Shrimp by himself yet. Since I am acing long days three days a week, that can go up to 11 hours a day, I need some advice on what I can do for my pups while I'm gone on those days.

any words of wisdom would be great. :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
I crate mine inside in the livingroom. They are doing long hours maybe 3 days a week, usually about 9 hours and other days maybe 0-4 hours a day since I'm either off or just gone for a bit.

In general the way I think of it is that if you live in a place where you need to have a heater going in a run, they might as well be in a kennel inside where it's probably more comfortable. I think in some situations a outdoor run with a lot of space is suitable for dogs who need more space or freak out in a kennel but I think it's a last resort. I think that there's a lot that can go wrong with being outside from escaping, the weather is too extreme, people may mess with your dogs, etc. so I think inside is always the best.

I used to not kennel my last pug and really she kinda picked it up slowly from potty training and slowly increasing her area and making her pee pad disappear. With a puppy I would start with a small area with the kennel in it, then a potty pad baby gated to a corner. A 9 week dog isn't going to be able to hold for 11 hours like a 1 year old can.

I think you are on the right track of keeping them separate. It's a new relationship and puppies can find the most irritating ways to get under another dogs skin who is used to living alone. Just best to not to let a accident happen. Some people don't agree with eventually leaving dogs alone together, but I've had bonded pairs that benefited from being together.

This website has some good information on potty training tips.
http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/raising-puppy

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm not comfortable doing the outdoor kennel thing. There are too many things that could go wrong.

I know that the neighbor down the street hates dogs just because he's an old geezer that hates dogs. How do I know he's not going to slip my dogs something while I'm gone all day?
The only way to find out if a kennel is really escape proof is through trial and error. I'm not willing to risk error and I know my yard could not contain my dog.
There are just too many risks.

My dogs earned free roam of the house together. That didn't happen overnight.

If I were you, I'd hire a dog walker to come part of the way through your work day to get your dogs out. If you can't afford a pro, a family member or young adult looking to make a few extra bucks might work. I made chump change throughout middle school and high school dog walking. I would've happily done it for free.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My pups weren't left alone until they were old enough to hold their bladders for a while.
They get shut in the most puppy-proof room of the house with their beds and chew toys when they are left home alone.
The house is the kennel.
I have nothing against dog kennel per se, and dogs need their outdoor run time, but I don't agree with leaving them in the back yard while I'm away, this comes down to me not living in the most trustworthy suburb, and all the nightmarish stories I keep hearing about dog bating, theft and other horrid things that can happen to your pooch while you're away. Granted, people can just as easily break in and do the same, but most of my problems come from living next to a lane way with all manner of things being thrown over the fence. I definitely wouldn't leave a dog tied up either as a tied up dog is one that can't escape if it needs to.
If the dog is a jumper or a digger and a thunder storm hit while you're away and the dog is outside you can be pretty certain there is a high possibility of the dog making a break for it to escape the storm. Times like these are when animal shelters and dog catchers and at their busiest.

My advice: Obviously ensure they have access to enough water on long days. Apart from that keep them inside when you're out whether that be with the run of the house, a puppy proof room, or crate. The crate is fine for a dog to sleep in and use as his own private domain if you don't want him sharing your bed but he's not going to have much room to play and run around in there and increasingly less as he grows.

Hope that's of some help :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how long did it take to get the pups there.... what kind of strategies did you use and how often do you have mishaps? :)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
If you are away from home for long hours of the day, what do you do with you pup(s)? Do you crate them?
Bryna is crated, yes.
What does their crate schedule look like during the week?
In the last month, the longest she has been crated has been a 7 hour span when both my SO and I were working.

What do you think of out door kennels?
It depends on where you live, and the dog you have. If you lived in the middle of no where (no visible neighbors), and your dog has terrible SA while in the crate, and free roam/secluded roam of the house failed, then I don't see an issue with it. BUT IT SHOULD BE A LAST RESORT.

What about outdoor/garage kennels with heated flooring and siding?
If every attempt of confinement in the house fails, then having an outside kennel that is heated and very well built would be the best bet. I HATE seeing dogs left outside in kennels with nothing but a dogloo. :(

if you leave your dogs in the house but not in a crate, where do you keep them? Are they able to hold their potty for that long? How did you train them to do that?
Surprisingly, Bryna has never had an accident in her kennel, even when she was left in there for 12 hours (no one could let her out for me, so I was expecting a mess, but was surprised that there wasn't one...). Most dogs prefer to NOT soil where they sleep, so you can work with that instinct. As your pup grows they will be able to hold their bladder for longer periods of time, but for right now you need to take it out frequently. The way that we got Bryna to like her crate was to feed her in it. We also gave her tasty treats in there, and taught her the command "kennel," where she goes in her crate and lays down. Just DON'T use the crate as a form of punishment: your pup will associate it with bad experiences instead of good, and it will pretty much ruin the experience for it.

Good luck with your pup. Check out the training subsection for training info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My pups weren't left alone until they were old enough to hold their bladders for a while.
They get shut in the most puppy-proof room of the house with their beds and chew toys when they are left home alone.
The house is the kennel.
I have nothing against dog kennel per se, and dogs need their outdoor run time, but I don't agree with leaving them in the back yard while I'm away, this comes down to me not living in the most trustworthy suburb, and all the nightmarish stories I keep hearing about dog bating, theft and other horrid things that can happen to your pooch while you're away. Granted, people can just as easily break in and do the same, but most of my problems come from living next to a lane way with all manner of things being thrown over the fence. I definitely wouldn't leave a dog tied up either as a tied up dog is one that can't escape if it needs to.
If the dog is a jumper or a digger and a thunder storm hit while you're away and the dog is outside you can be pretty certain there is a high possibility of the dog making a break for it to escape the storm. Times like these are when animal shelters and dog catchers and at their busiest.

My advice: Obviously ensure they have access to enough water on long days. Apart from that keep them inside when you're out whether that be with the run of the house, a puppy proof room, or crate. The crate is fine for a dog to sleep in and use as his own private domain if you don't want him sharing your bed but he's not going to have much room to play and run around in there and increasingly less as he grows.

I think they will either just get the run of the house or be kenneled, I'm thinking I might do both... kennel them for a while until i feel like they are able to hl;
Hope that's of some help :)
yea i think the out door kennel is out... I'm realizing that my concerns weren't as unrealistic as i thought... :) I think I am going to do a little of both-- kenneling until I know they can hold it for long enough, and then giving them run of the house.... I just had been on another forum for dog care and was berated by members saying that leaving a dog kenneled more than 4 hours was inhumane.... but i felt it was worth a second opinion...

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
yea i think the out door kennel is out... I'm realizing that my concerns weren't as unrealistic as i thought... :) I think I am going to do a little of both-- kenneling until I know they can hold it for long enough, and then giving them run of the house.... I just had been on another forum for dog care and was berated by members saying that leaving a dog kenneled more than 4 hours was inhumane.... but i felt it was worth a second opinion...
You'll have that. The safest place for a pup to be is in a house. You can expect accidents from a puppy. I mean, they're still learning, and they just happen. The best you can do is crate them in a room/area taht is easy to clean until they're more trustable as far as bladder control. You could get one of those computer chair mat things to put under the crate to make it easier, just in case.

BTW, I LOVE the name Brosef. :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bryna is crated, yes.

In the last month, the longest she has been crated has been a 7 hour span when both my SO and I were working.

It depends on where you live, and the dog you have. If you lived in the middle of no where (no visible neighbors), and your dog has terrible SA while in the crate, and free roam/secluded roam of the house failed, then I don't see an issue with it. BUT IT SHOULD BE A LAST RESORT.

If every attempt of confinement in the house fails, then having an outside kennel that is heated and very well built would be the best bet. I HATE seeing dogs left outside in kennels with nothing but a dogloo. :(

Surprisingly, Bryna has never had an accident in her kennel, even when she was left in there for 12 hours (no one could let her out for me, so I was expecting a mess, but was surprised that there wasn't one...). Most dogs prefer to NOT soil where they sleep, so you can work with that instinct. As your pup grows they will be able to hold their bladder for longer periods of time, but for right now you need to take it out frequently. The way that we got Bryna to like her crate was to feed her in it. We also gave her tasty treats in there, and taught her the command "kennel," where she goes in her crate and lays down. Just DON'T use the crate as a form of punishment: your pup will associate it with bad experiences instead of good, and it will pretty much ruin the experience for it.

Good luck with your pup. Check out the training subsection for training info.

Surprisingly, Bryna has never had an accident in her kennel, even when she was left in there for 12 hours (no one could let her out for me, so I was expecting a mess, but was surprised that there wasn't one...). Most dogs prefer to NOT soil where they sleep, so you can work with that instinct.

what I plan to start kenneling him for longer periods of time one he gets to about 4/5 mos, i just feel like hes too young to do that right now... however I feel like when I have in a 3x3 area i always find him covered in his own poop and I wonder if it will alter his instinct not to sit in his own poop, so I made the space bigger and now feel like i still find him in his own poop.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Surprisingly, Bryna has never had an accident in her kennel, even when she was left in there for 12 hours (no one could let her out for me, so I was expecting a mess, but was surprised that there wasn't one...). Most dogs prefer to NOT soil where they sleep, so you can work with that instinct.

what I plan to start kenneling him for longer periods of time one he gets to about 4/5 mos, i just feel like hes too young to do that right now... however I feel like when I have in a 3x3 area i always find him covered in his own poop and I wonder if it will alter his instinct not to sit in his own poop, so I made the space bigger and now feel like i still find him in his own poop.
The space is too big for him, that is why he's pooping everywhere. If you are going to kennel, the space should be big enough for them to turn around and lay down. If your pup is going to grow, I suggest getting one of those kennels where you can adjust the size as they grow. When you are home, take him out every two hours or so, or better yet, every hour if you can. Even if he doesn't go outside, it is worth it. Reward him for going outside (tasty treats like hot dog or chicken would be great.) Its all about association: poop/pee outside = yummy treat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You'll have that. The safest place for a pup to be is in a house. You can expect accidents from a puppy. I mean, they're still learning, and they just happen. The best you can do is crate them in a room/area taht is easy to clean until they're more trustable as far as bladder control. You could get one of those computer chair mat things to put under the crate to make it easier, just in case.

BTW, I LOVE the name Brosef. :p
Thanks, I let my boyfriend come up with our pups names :). I like the idea of the computer chair mat... I think my other concern is I wonder if its unfair to let one roam in a pen and crate the other? or let one run the house and pen the other.. does it create a complex between young and old? maybe I put awwwaaay to much thought into it. *shrug*

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The space is too big for him, that is why he's pooping everywhere. If you are going to kennel, the space should be big enough for them to turn around and lay down. If your pup is going to grow, I suggest getting one of those kennels where you can adjust the size as they grow. When you are home, take him out every two hours or so, or better yet, every hour if you can. Even if he doesn't go outside, it is worth it. Reward him for going outside (tasty treats like hot dog or chicken would be great.) Its all about association: poop/pee outside = yummy treat.
Oh he hasn't had an accident in the kennel... only in his puppy safe pen.. thats why i worry about his instinct being messed with... and I dont want to kennel him for too many hours till he is about 4 mos.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Thanks, I let my boyfriend come up with our pups names :). I like the idea of the computer chair mat... I think my other concern is I wonder if its unfair to let one roam in a pen and crate the other? or let one run the house and pen the other.. does it create a complex between young and old? maybe I put awwwaaay to much thought into it. *shrug*
Your pup will be fine. I have two other dogs that occasionally come up to visit (I'm only allowed one dog in my apartment), and they both have free roam of my apartment and Bryna is fine with it. Her crate is her safe zone, or her "room." Your pup will eventually have that feeling too, so long that you make sure every crate experience is a good one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
how long did it take to get the pups there.... what kind of strategies did you use and how often do you have mishaps? :)
All good guestions :)

My pups are 16 months old now, they were 8 weeks when I adopted them.

There were quite a few nights of getting up every 2 to 3 hours each night to let the puppies out into the yard to do their business. This went on for at least a fortnight or so. Around the 12 week mark they had figured out that outside is the place to do stuff, but there were still the occasional inside accidents which we responded to by picking the pup up and putting him down outside then cleaning up the mess, no real punishment. At 6 months old, no issues with toileting. It can vary slightly with breed and age, and the bravery of the pup on freezing cold nights. I'm sure we'd all prefer to piddle on the floor as opposed to putting our bare feet on frosty grass and baring our privates to the winter chill.
As for leaving them at home, it was kind of gradual. They got used to one person going out and staying home with the others, then staying home with one person while the others went out. Before a year old they were more than ok with being left at home along together for a few hours. My pillows and furniture however were not. Hence them being confined to the dining room where they can do the least damage and if the mood takes them they can even wash the dishes... they have not yet bothered. Once a dog is around a year old it should be able to "hold it in" for 12 hours.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Oh he hasn't had an accident in the kennel... only in his puppy safe pen.. thats why i worry about his instinct being messed with... and I dont want to kennel him for too many hours till he is about 4 mos.
Oh, then in that case its too me expected. If he has to go, and thre's room to do so, then he'll take advantage of it 'cause he hasn't learned to hold it yet. He's still a baby, so there is a lot to learn still. Just keep up with taking him outside frequently.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just had been on another forum for dog care and was berated by members saying that leaving a dog kenneled more than 4 hours was inhumane
Yes that's a bit of a harsh way of giving advice. Welcome to forums I guess???

A bit off topic but something that just sprang to mind; I don't hear too many people berating vets and animal shelters for doing the same... perhaps my ears haven't been pointed in the right direction. Perhaps it socially viewed as OK if it comes down to a matter of finances, who knows. But there is at least one Animal Shelter in Australia where all the dogs are housed in beds/crates/kennels/baskets or whatever at night but run rampant around on acres of land during the day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All good guestions :)

My pups are 16 months old now, they were 8 weeks when I adopted them.

There were quite a few nights of getting up every 2 to 3 hours each night to let the puppies out into the yard to do their business. This went on for at least a fortnight or so. Around the 12 week mark they had figured out that outside is the place to do stuff, but there were still the occasional inside accidents which we responded to by picking the pup up and putting him down outside then cleaning up the mess, no real punishment. At 6 months old, no issues with toileting. It can vary slightly with breed and age, and the bravery of the pup on freezing cold nights. I'm sure we'd all prefer to piddle on the floor as opposed to putting our bare feet on frosty grass and baring our privates to the winter chill.
As for leaving them at home, it was kind of gradual. They got used to one person going out and staying home with the others, then staying home with one person while the others went out. Before a year old they were more than ok with being left at home along together for a few hours. My pillows and furniture however were not. Hence them being confined to the dining room where they can do the least damage and if the mood takes them they can even wash the dishes... they have not yet bothered. Once a dog is around a year old it should be able to "hold it in" for 12 hours.
It took my older pup Shrimp, who is about 18 mos now, is fully potty trained, but will only hold it for about 6-8 hours in a day while I'm gone-- but I know she can hold it longer... the little one I expect there to be accidents for a while (they are pom chi mixes) I have just been struggling with when to start his crating and weather keeping in his pen was nice... and whether or not I should kennel my older pup....

I think my plan is to allow my pups to continue with with thier routine until the younger one hits 12 weeks, than begin crating the both pups and hiring a dog walker for until my younger pup is about 8-9 mos... and then allow them to stay in there while I'm gone until accidents become few an far in between. I may not subject my older pup to that though, she rarely pees in the house any longer (as far as I have been able to tell lately) only poos, which usually isn't a huge deal cause hers are sooo small and very sold--- never leaving a huge mess, and just needing some nature's miracle. :) Maybe I'll just work on the baby and getting him to standard :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well and I make concessions with that, my older pup sleeps in the bed, and as soon as the little one can jump in and out of our bed and sleep through the night, we will allow him too... i feel like if they have to spend time alone, I had to give them time in bed. LOL. however some nights he does great being in his pen--- doesn't cry all night, and other when he just screams for ever.... i think it will get easier when he is big enough to go for walks with Shrimp and me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There's no real reason you can't walk a 9 week old pup, just might have to carry him around when he gets tired or sick of it :) unless the problem is that he can't keep up. I started walking Ellie before Buddha just so the little guy could get a rest from her, he was the unhealthy runt and she was a million miles an hour... now they both are 2 million miles an hour. Being whippet mix they love running around as fast as possible just as much as lazing around doing nothing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts