Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
When I was little, my family had a neighbor with a small defunct farm. He was elderly and his "farm" was mostly a big mud hole. He had a bunch of feral cats living in his barn and every year they had several litters of kittens. And you know what this guy did? He collected them in sacks and drown them. Over and over again. So when I was twelve my father and I put humane cat traps over there at night and went back at 3am and collected the cats. Then we took them to a vet (we had to find one who would handle feral cats) and got them spayed and neutered. We had to do this five times before we got them all.
I am glad you did this, although I don't condone breaking the law.
I know someone who always has a barn of kittens.They aren't feral (or hadn't gotten that bad the last time I was there... but that was a while ago). I rescued two kittens from this barn. The problems I had and am still struggling with are endless. These kittens have so many genetic and just plain medical issues, it drives me up the wall. I wish someone had trapped them and got them spayed neutered.

What do I say when someone tells me they want to breed?
It depends on who it is. If it's some random person at the grocery store, I don't waste my breath. The average BYB that you meet at the grocery store won't even listen to a word you say... and if they did probably would have no idea what you're talking about (c-section...what?! dogs need those too?... back yard wha?!?!.. pet overpopulation?!)
However, if it's someone like a close friend, or family member... I tell them the story my father told me about the time his parents wanted to teach him and my uncle about the miracle of life by breeding their Boston Terrier. Long story short... the two puppies were born inside out... my uncle decided he didn't want to be a vet after all, and my dad was traumatized for life. (I will go more in detail when explaining this to someone wanting to breed... maybe add some details if I think it might help).

·
Registered
120 Posts
I tell them that if they love puppies that much that they should consider fostering first. If they want to do it for the money I give them some horror stories about the pups we've lost while fostering and I send them to the adoption center for the rescue we work with.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Why care, they are not my dogs.. i will never know nothing else about that person, or dog, therefore it's like the problem never existed to me.
Why care? Because SOMEONE has to care or cruelty and irresponsibility will go unchecked. Plus, once you get a job, you start to realize that a big chunk of your tax money goes to euthanizing healthy, adoptable animals at your local animal shelter, purely because so many people are so irresponsible with their pets....and trust me, that makes me MAD. Taxes are hig enough as it is, and I don't want to pay to kill the results of some irresponsible dope's stupidity.
I care because I feel a social responsiblity not to bring more dogs into a world where there will not be enough homes for them, and I believe that all people should feel that social responsibility. I care because I've been to every dog pound in my city (there are 3 of them) and I've seen what people's irresponsibility and selfishness has cost the animals there.
^^ yeah, that.

If people tell me that they want to breed their dog, I usually go into a long spiel about how brave they are, being willing to lose their female, willing to pay big $$$ for a c-section, willing to have 12 puppies pottying all over their laundry room for 8 weeks, etc. Dunno if that makes any difference, but it's fun seeing the horror on their faces :p .

If they say they want to breed their cat, I just tell them good luck with that, it's nearly impossible to place kittens in good homes. And then I try to kidnap their cat (if she's allowed outside---it's legal to take a cat not on it's owner's property) and have her spayed. I wouldn't spay-nap an unspayed dog, but cats are fair game. Since they're considered "varmints" and all.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Actually, far too little of our taxes go to animal control and animal shelters. It's seen as completely unimportant by the government and most of the public. In the city of Philadelphia, which has an enormous over-population problem, last year all of 3 million dollars went to PACCA (animal control) and PAWS (their animal adoption wing). In government terms, that's like a half of a penny.
So I think taxes are not the real concern here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I mind my own business. Offering an unrequested opinion on any subject is generally seen as being a social faux pas.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts