Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be attending school two days a week this semester and want to give my dogs Kongs while I'm gone. Last semester I was able to use some high value stuff in their Kongs, such as scrambled eggs and broiled chicken and stuff, but I was only attending once a week. Although I'd like to continue giving them some tasty goodness in their Kongs, I can't afford that kind of food twice a week for them (being a poor grad student, and all). If you give your dogs Kongs, what do they like stuffed in them? Can you think of any non-commercial, tasty things that your dogs enjoy that are not typical foods? Keep in mind that I don't mind treats that might not be good for them on a daily basis (like people food), since they are all at good, healthy weights and they have never been otherwise and I'm not looking for food that would be in their ordinary daily diet.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I generally use peanut butter, meat chunks, or prepackaged grated cheese (sometimes melted then cooled for extra stickiness).

I saw some pre-packaged Kong filling stuff at Petco the other day, that might work for you too.

·
Banned
749 Posts
I have the Kong ball for Lola and usually just put a tablespoon of peanut butter in it. Lately I have put these training treats in it that are shaped like the letter T. They are beef, liver and cheese flavored. I put about 7 inside and she is actually able to get them out but it does take her a while which is good.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I have the Kong ball for Lola and usually just put a tablespoon of peanut butter in it. Lately I have put these training treats in it that are shaped like the letter T. They are beef, liver and cheese flavored. I put about 7 inside and she is actually able to get them out but it does take her a while which is good.
My dog ADORES those T shaped treats.

I've used wet dog food frozen, peanut butter, regular pieces of cheese that I stick to the insides, and melted cheese (Cheez Whiz). Some people also use yogurt.

Honestly my favorite time-consuming treat dispenser is the Waggle by Premier. You can stuff it with treats of all shapes and sizes so that some come out quickly, others take a longer time.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
We have a few dif. kinda of Kongs. For the ball ones I usually use baby carrots, and for the original ones I use a tiny bit of peanut butter to hold together either kibble, oats, cheerios, shredded cheese, or what ever else we might have. If I make the peanut butter type ones ahead of time, I sometimes freeze them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My dog just got his Kong last week. I plug the bottom hole with a dab of peanut butter. Then I drop something really tasty in the bottom (a big piece of hot dog, a chunk of meat, etc.) I fill the rest with kibble and moisten with tap water. Then I top it all off with a scoop of peanut butter and freeze it for at least 4 hours. My dog goes nuts for it.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are some really great suggestions--thanks everyone!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I generally use peanut butter, meat chunks, or prepackaged grated cheese (sometimes melted then cooled for extra stickiness).

I saw some pre-packaged Kong filling stuff at Petco the other day, that might work for you too.
With my old dog we used peanut butter as well, he was a pit bull and loved to try and get the peanut butter out! We also had a kong ball and used small biscuits and he could squeeze them out of the little opening...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Peanut butter... which I see practically everyone uses... dog kibble, cottage cheese, food scraps from the table.

Bambi loves her Kong, especially with peanut butter in it. Even when there's nothing inside she chews on it and tosses it around.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Peanut butter, cream cheese, cottage cheese, regular cheese, apple chunks, apple sauce, canned dog food, bananas, hot dog, milkbone type dog treats...I always freeze it too, the only time I don't is if I use just an apple chunk, then I cut it slightly too big for the opening and wedge it in there.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Peanut butter is the mainstay for training. When I freeze them, I mix dog food (canned + kibble) with a little human cooked food -- steak, hamburger, carrots, green beans, baked potato and sometimes cheese. She also loves the Kong ziggy treats.

·
Banned
749 Posts
My dog ADORES those T shaped treats.

One of the things I do with the T shape treats in addition to putting them in the Kong ball is put a few on the floor. I have trained Lola to not pick them up until I say she can and it has to be the one I point to. I then have her do a sit and to mix it up a bit I will call her over to the other side of the treats. She has to pass them or walk around them without picking any up. Then I go back to having her get the one I point to and she will have to pass a few to get to the one that I want her to get.

The past few days we have been going outside on a training leash that's about 20' and practicing sit, stay and wait. When I am walking away from her she has been waiting as she is supposed to do. I then call her and she comes running to get a T treat.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
We put a few pieces of kibble inside, a pinch of shredded cheese, a small dog biscuit halved (one half for each dog), (at this point J.C. gets a bit of peanut butter because he loves peanut butter, but Holly doesn't get any because she dislikes it and refuses a Kong if there's peanut butter), and I seal it with cream cheese.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Braunsweiger
Low Fat Cottage Cheese
Peeled and cubed Apple, or Pear
Natural Balance Food Roll (sliced and diced)
Yogurt
Hard Boiled Egg, cut up
Vienna Sausages
Sardines in Olive Oil
Leftovers from dinner!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I love this thread as I'm a rookie Kong stuffer. I gave my old basset a kong stuffed with kibble and peanut butter. An hour later when I left he was still working on it. I may try cheerios as well.

I tried the tug a jug and neither dog seems to get it. I even took the plug out of the end so it's basically just a bottle that instantly pays off if they just tip it. No interest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts