Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Houston, tx.

I hate how its extremely spread out and that it has so many people and it has horrible public transportation. I do not like the humidity.

I like the fact that because it is so big there are a lot of educational and job opportunities here, but that's about it.

What about you guys?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I live in a small town in New Mexico.

I don't like the spring winds, all the dust or the fact that there are NO malls, department stores, home improvement chains or good restaurants (except for the Mexican Food place, which is fantastic!) I also don't like that the ground is clay and rocks. Makes gardening in the ground impossible.

I LOVE the culture of the town, its artsy feel, the architecture, the variety of people (hippies, old folks, young college students, various races - ALL friendly) the weather, the sky, the sunsets, the Mexican restaurant (LOL) and the gorgeous mountainous scenery.

I took this from my kitchen window...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I live in NE Ohio. I looooooove the falls here, they are so pretty!! And the weather is amazing during the autumn months.

I hate spring. Our spring lasts about a week, then off to summer. Blah!

Besides that....I like where I live :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in a small town in New Mexico.

I don't like the spring winds, all the dust or the fact that there are NO malls, department stores, home improvement chains or good restaurants (except for the Mexican Food place, which is fantastic!) I also don't like that the ground is clay and rocks. Makes gardening in the ground impossible.

I LOVE the culture of the town, its artsy feel, the architecture, the variety of people (hippies, old folks, young college students, various races - ALL friendly) the weather, the sky, the sunsets, the Mexican restaurant (LOL) and the gorgeous mountainous scenery.

I took this from my kitchen window...

That's a beautiful picture! I'm so envious. I'm sitting at work right now and if I look out the window, I see the freeway and some ugly buildings. :(

·
Registered
226 Posts
Gosh, FourIsCompany, that picture is STUNNING.

I live in a small town in Virginia.

I HATE how small our town is and how difficult it is for anyone to find a job, especially a good paying job. I HATE that I live in a college town. I HATE that there is absolutely nothing to do here, and I have to drive 30-45 miles to do anything. I HATE how everyone knows each other and knows everyone's business.

Can you tell I really, really can't wait to leave? :p

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I live just outside of Denver, CO.

I hate that it's a big city. I hate the snow, and the winter in general. I hate that because it's a big city, we don't have much wildlife anymore. I hate how there are so many people here.

I like...that because it's a big city, we do have quite a few big events, such as anime conventions, dog/cat/reptile/bird shows, big music concerts.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I live in a small northern Alberta city.

I dislike the weather! It's crazy here... it could be snowing on one end and sunny and beautiful on the other. It also changes alot. If you blink, the weather changes! Sometimes it's ok though lol.

I dislike living in oil patch city. We have alot of transiants and the traffic is pretty bad for the size of the city. People are rude and ignorant and cutomer service is all but gone!

I like the size of my city though all in all. It's big enough that we do have alot of major department stores and franchises. We get alot of big name artists and musicians that come here.

I LOVE the fact that for the most part, I can walk down the street after dark, by myself, and not worry that I'm gonna get mugged, raped or murdered. Yes crime happens everywhere but ours (knock on wood) is very minimal. I LOVE that my kids schools don't have metal detectors or police officers on the premisis. I grew up with that and did not want that for them!

That's all that I can think of right now lol! I'm sure there is more for both though!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I live in north central IN in the country. I love having the acres and the quietness. I love being about an hour away from Chicago, half hour away from South Bend, and 20 minutes away from Michigan. Oh, and I love having all 4 seasons.

I HATE the allergies out here. I hate that people drive 90 mph on the country road.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I really like Flagstaff. It's nice living in a small town and it's really dog friendly here.

Our "downtown" is really old buildings and shops that are so quaint and adorable! You cannot walk down one of the old streets without seeing a handful of people walking with their dogs! I love it!

That being said I am more than frustrated with the construction going on across the street from my house right now! It's really obnoxious!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
CrzyBrit, I love Flagstaff! What a beautiful place to live!

I live in a suburb of Los Angeles. For a big city, mine has a very small town feel and I like that about it. It's primarily residential and small business (although we are home to Mobil, Honda, and Toyota) and the residents have been here for generations, many in the same house. I graduated from the same middle and high schools as my mom and her siblings and now I am a teacher at said high school. My dentist also worked on my grandparents' teeth, and now on my mom's, dad's, aunt's, and cousin's. The people at the grocery store, dry cleaner, and bagel shop all know my name and treat me well.

I like the central location of my city. In a few minutes I can be in downtown LA watching the symphony or the opera. I can be in Santa Monica or Venice with the crazies on the strand. I can be at Torrance, Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan, and Huntington beaches enjoy the sand and the sea. I can be in Hollywood at a club or super-chic restaurant. Within a couple of hours I can be in the desert or the mountains. My area has a fantastic mix of Mom 'n' Pop places and chain stores. We have a great deal of historical sites that are connected to some of our country's most important moments, including the building of a transcontinental railroad. We have fantastic restaurants. I can be at four airports in under an hour and have my choice of two harbors from which to begin a cruise. Less than a day's drive can get me to San Diego, Mexico, wine country, the redwoods, or my state's capitol.

I love the diversity of people here. People of all ages, people of all colors, people of all religions. I love that my neighbors bring us mithai for Diwali and we carol on their front porch at Christmas. I love the number of Hispanic kids at my school who are taking Madarian Chinese as their foreign language.

I do not love the amount of people crammed into a small space. We have terrible public transportation and, therefore, terrible traffic. Los Angeles as a county as trouble with gangs and terrible, terrible poverty, although my particular city doesn't suffer from either issue. We don't have a lot of natural spaces, although the ones we do have are well preserved and taken care of. There's a lot of concrete and you have live practically in your neighbor's backyard.

Overall, I like LA. I'm not sure I will choose to live here for the rest of my life, but I honestly think it's a place everybody should spend some serious time in. Like New York City it has a culture all its own that you have to experience to appreciate.

·
Registered
286 Posts
We have great shopping and restaurants and are close to Washington DC, Philadelphia and New York. Hospitals, doctors, vets and every kind of need is close by here BUT

the place is very congested, real estate is high priced, and people drive like madmen......

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I live in Hawaii, I like that on my island everyone is really nice to each other, and that the weather is nice in the fall/winter/spring, I like that I can be outdoors a lot and go hiking. I like how quite it is and how green it is.

I dont like how I have to fly to go to a real mall, or how hot it is in the summer. And that there is sometimes nothing to do (because I have watched all the good movies in the theater already). And I dont like that nearly no good band will come to my island and do a concert.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I live in Hawaii, I like that on my island everyone is really nice to each other, and that the weather is nice in the fall/winter/spring, I like that I can be outdoors a lot and go hiking. I like how quite it is and how green it is.

I dont like how I have to fly to go to a real mall, or how hot it is in the summer. And that there is sometimes nothing to do (because I have watched all the good movies in the theater already). And I dont like that nearly no good band will come to my island and do a concert.
You could always come back to Denver~ *whistles*

Haha. <3

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
FilleBelle, that sounds like a great place to live! That's the kind of place I'd like to end up eventually. somewhere that has a small town feel but not in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I live in the largest town in KS and it kind of sucks. I like that we have a great zoo and my two ultra-cute nieces live here. Aside from that there's nothing. There are tons of bars and restaurants, but little to nothing culturally otherwise. Good theatre is lacking as well as good music. There's next to nothing to do on the weekends unless you are into the bar scene (which I'm not). There are no dog parks, off leash or otherwise in the entire town. Plus, I'm allergic to all the blooming stuff in the spring and all the ragweed in the fall so I spend half the year hacking and coughing. I'm so moving someplace dry when I retire.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I've lived in the same little town in SE Ohio my entire life. My roots go back to almost the town's founding. So its home to me and I doubt I'll ever leave. We are also a college town so there are "things" to do but we are also an old town that values our history. We still have many of the original town buildings and our downtown are the original brick streets. We are also a rivertown so there are steamboat rides that we can go on. We have festivals in the summer with riverboat races and live local bands. We also have a National Forest to go hiking...but I normally hike on my own property...lol In general, I just like the area, the scenery, etc. The cost of living is low...you don't have to make a ton of money to be fairly comfortable. We have a lot of Mom n Pop shops but also bigger chains like Wal-Mart...(everyone has a Wal-Mart...lol) We also have a lot of unique locally owned shops, from jewelry stores, candy shops, antique shops, an Art Gallery, etc...its nice.

What I don't like is the weather...UGH...its getting to the point that I can't stand the summer when I used to enjoy it so much...Either the summers have gotten even more hot and humid or I've gotten less able to tolerate it. I don't know which. It gets so humid here that it's impossible to breathe sometimes. Also, we have a lot of area plants so our pollution is high...I don't much care for that...

Really though, I like it here because its the only place I've ever lived and its home to me. My entire family is here so its here that I will stay. :)

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
You could always come back to Denver~ *whistles*

Haha. <3
Haha, I say "I wish!" now but when summer comes around you guys are even hotter than here!! And growing up in the humidity I prefer the humid heat to the dry heat. But I welcome all snow to come over here for winter:D:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I live in I guess a mid sized city in SE Virginia. I hate how much it has grown, I have lived here forever. I remember when there was nothing here....

I am absolutely dying to move to a small town kind of place in the middle of no where. I absolutely hate that my neighbors are so close and that there are regulations in all the neighborhoods.... If things are too busy for me to go out and cut my lawn one week and I have more time to do it the next week, I shouldn't have to get a notice on my front door. I should be able to paint my house any color that I want without having to get permission from a homeowner's association. I also HATE traffic!!!

I would love to live on a farm. And have fireflies and stars at night again!! And enough land to finally have the horse that I have been dreaming about since I was a little girl....

·
Registered
743 Posts
I live in a town in south central Alaska.

I hate that it's so far(300 miles) from the big city where the anime convention, concerts, etc is held, where big stores are, and all those things. But you know... that's all I can think of.

I've been a lot of places, I've traveled a lot, and I can honestly say that many things that I may hate about my town is a reason I love it as well. I don't want to be near Anchorage. They're rather rude there, generally, in my experience. What I love about my town is how everyone is so friendly.

We don't often have crime. We're near the river, and the beach, and it's only a two hour drive to either of two harbors. I love the water, and I can walk just down the street to a viewpoint over the inlet. I love that I, and my little brother and sister, can walk by ourselves and not have to worry. We're not far from a community college, we're getting a Wal Mart(lol), plenty of places to go to camp and fish... I'm going to cut it short because my thoughts are disorganized, and I could carry on.

Oh wait. I don't like how we don't have a real art store, and I don't like how wet it gets in the spring when everything thaws and how rainy it can be if it decides to be that way all summer :mad: But so far so great this year :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts