Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're shopping for a new (used) car that will hold my two labs comfortably. I currently have an 18yr old blazer (the s10 -small one) that's just about worn out. The wayback is the perfect size for the dogs. I think what I'll miss the most is that it's old and worn and broken in. But we're looking for something newer and nicer and safer.
So, my question is: what do you drive and how much room does it have for two big dogs. The pros and the cons please.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
We have a Subaru Forester and it is big enough for two dogs. Good on gas, good in weather, and reliable as the sunrise. It's a nice car to drive, too. Enough power to get you on the parkway, and handles well for a station wagon. It's likw the official car of the North Shore of Long Island, or something.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I have a Toyota Forerunner (2000). The back is big enough for two medium dogs (60 lbs) and you still have room for 5 passengers. i get about 20 mpg, reliable, fun to drive....I love it.

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. 30 mpg on the highway and better in the city (which is what happens with hybrids.)

With the back seats folded down, there is plenty of room for two large dogs. With the seats up, it seats five.

I absolutely love this vehicle.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Hey Ron nice truck!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I have a Mazda MPV (mini van)...not my first choice, but I had a tight budget. I like it though, it does the job of carting around four dogs and two kids, even if it is a little soccer mom-ish for my taste.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
My boyfriend and I share a Hundai Elantra. Plenty of back-seat room, so I can imagine it fitting two large crates nicely.

We have a car harness/seatbelt thing for Sasha, though, so we don't use her crate. I don't really like how she can sometimes get tangled in the seatbelt if she turns around several times, but I can pet her and she can just barely stick her head out the window. Couldn't do that with a crate! Plus, the harness is very secure, and keeps her in place very well. I can imagine that if she were in a crate, she might get tossed around a bit if we were on a bumpy road because she isn't actually tied down.

I really really want a Ford Escape Hybrid, though XD Kiwi green, please!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I'm driving a 10-year old Jimmy, which I love and am loathe to give up because it has so much room for the pup, her gear, our gear, etc. But it's getting on and we'll probably get a new SUV next year. I would 2nd Ron's vote on the Escape Hybrid - saw one at the dealer and loved it! Roomy, peppy engine, great on gas.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I have a 2007 Honda Fit Sport. It cost me $18,000 to drive off the lot. I get roughly 30 mpg on the street, more on the highway. It easily seats four adults, but can fit five plus all their luggage with relative comfort. It has easy-to-configure minivan-like seats that allow me to haul tall stuff, long stuff, and wide stuff at literally the press of a button. My dad and boyfriend (6'1" each) have both driven it, sat in the front and back passenger seats, and say it has plenty of leg and headroom. The car is very dog-friendly...I set the ramp up and both dogs fit neatly into the cargo space. The Sport version comes with an automatic transmission with manual paddle shifters, an mp3 player, and an auxilery input for your satellite radio or iPod. Don't bother with the non-sport version. It is SERIOUSLY underpowered. They aren't even comparable vehicles.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I sold my car, and I'm car-free.

I would never trade this lifestyle unless I had to.

·
Registered
226 Posts
LOL, two labs would not fit in any of our vehicles. I have a 1999 Pontiac Sunfire (well, not for long, it's for sale) and a 1995 Mustang GT convertible.

Caleb drives a Toyota MR2 and that is only a 2 seater!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I drive a 98 Explorer; I had bought it with my border mix in mind...well and towing a small two horse trailer now and then, in mind. It is ideal for both...Lol. Has plenty of cargo room, decent mileage, and drives nicely. I like it alot. :D

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have a 98 4Runner Limited . GREAT truck , very dependable and plenty enough room in the back. Excellent resale value as well.

I have a Toyota Forerunner (2000). The back is big enough for two medium dogs (60 lbs) and you still have room for 5 passengers. i get about 20 mpg, reliable, fun to drive....I love it.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I sold my car, and I'm car-free.

I would never trade this lifestyle unless I had to.
I did that years ago. My car died and I lived close enough to ride my bike or take mass transit everywhere. When the kid came along, I needed a car. Since I hadn't had a vehicle insured in my name for several years, the insurance companies treated me like a brand new driver (I'd been driving more than 20 years) and placed me in the "assigned risk" pool. It would have been cheaper to keep a $500 smoker minimally insured, and just not used it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I did that years ago. My car died and I lived close enough to ride my bike or take mass transit everywhere. When the kid came along, I needed a car. Since I hadn't had a vehicle insured in my name for several years, the insurance companies treated me like a brand new driver (I'd been driving more than 20 years) and placed me in the "assigned risk" pool. It would have been cheaper to keep a $500 smoker minimally insured, and just not used it.
I am in a car-sharing program, costing me $50 a year plus $9 an hour anytime I want to use one of their cars. (Used it once so far for three hours over the past three months.) It keeps me from having a gap in my insurance since I am insured by the car-sharing company.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I drive a 2008 VW Jetta and I easily hall my 55lb standard Poodle, the tiny new puppy and 2 kids (an 8yr old and a 10yr old) around everyday. Some days I even have and extra 10 yr old, so I know you could carry 2 labs in it. It isn't a big car, but it gets great gas milage and they last forever (this is my 3rd one).

·
Registered
688 Posts
If I am taking one dog I drive
1972 Mustang

If I am taking them all it actually takes 2 cars 1 is a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the other is a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1 - 20 of 52 Posts