Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently unemployed and might have to take a full-time position instead of a part time one that I was anticipating. What do you all do with your puppies during the day? I don't want to crate him all day but I'm not sure I will have any other choice. At what age did you leave your dogs uncrated? There are still some issues with the dog and the cat so I would have to keep them separated. I'm not sure there are any other options but I would love to hear from you all. I would have someone come in and walk him daily.

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
There is no magic age at which it's safe to let a dog have the run of the house. Some dogs, for their own safety and the safety of the household, are crated or otherwise restricted any time they are left alone.

My own two were restricted to the "dog room" - a large, but pretty spartan finished recreation room - when left alone, until they were well into adulthood. Giving them the run of the house was a leap of faith, but they've done very well. They can be home alone sometimes for ten hours, but it's normally shorter because my wife and I work different hours. Lately, they've been spoiled while my wife is home rehabbing from shoulder surgey and they go to the beach nearly every day. When she was gone for a week recently, they thought they were being abused while left alone with me.

Keep in mind that most dogs will sleep a good part of the day while left alone. (Mine go back to bed as soon as I leave - usually about 5 a.m. I've discovered this when I came back immediately to grab my keys or something else I may have forgotten.) They like to rest up so they're ready to party when you get home.

I've used doggy daycare and it was a pricey - but very satisfactory - option 2-3 times each week. Turns out even a Plott hound can be worn out if she has the opportunity to run for about ten hours straight with a bunch of dogs.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Snowball free-ranges in the house. I don't know anything about his past homes, but he was clearly well trained in the house by former owners - he won't get on the furniture unless we tell him its okay, etc. He is not crate trained, but he's taken a page from the book of our cat and lays directly in the middle of the hallway, right where people have to walk.

What kind of issues are having with the dog and the cat? We dog sat a Jack Russel Terrier who we had to crate every time we left the house because of separation anxiety, but even without the anxiety she would've been in her crate, as she enjoyed chasing the cat around, and unfortunately our place has lots of nooks and crannies that make it easy to corner a cat. If there is any chance that the dog might go after the cat, definitely keep them separated, even if its just in different rooms (as opposed to in a crate).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snowball free-ranges in the house. I don't know anything about his past homes, but he was clearly well trained in the house by former owners - he won't get on the furniture unless we tell him its okay, etc. He is not crate trained, but he's taken a page from the book of our cat and lays directly in the middle of the hallway, right where people have to walk.

What kind of issues are having with the dog and the cat? We dog sat a Jack Russel Terrier who we had to crate every time we left the house because of separation anxiety, but even without the anxiety she would've been in her crate, as she enjoyed chasing the cat around, and unfortunately our place has lots of nooks and crannies that make it easy to corner a cat. If there is any chance that the dog might go after the cat, definitely keep them separated, even if its just in different rooms (as opposed to in a crate).
It's actually my cat that gives the dog a problem. She has growls and hisses at the dog and he is afraid to pass her because she sometimes will chase him. I cannot leave the two of them alone. I would have to put her in a bedroom or gate her upstairs and leave the dog loose downstairs.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Hamilton is in an expen during the day, though he just sleeps in the open soft crate we have in there (when you peek in the window at him when you're unlocking the door, he's emerging, stretching and yawning).

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
If your cat has problems being locked up, what works for us is giving Murdoch (the cat) a really high value treat when we put him in the room. If we do that, he's content to spend time in his room without any fuss at all. If we don't give him a treat before we lock him up, he yowls for 5-10 minutes, and then decides he'd rather be napping.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Colby used to have free reign of our lower level, but she let us know not-so-subtly (she ate 2 spatulas and a spoon out of the dish rack one day) that it was too much freedom for her. Both she and Ace spend their day in their crates. If I'm going somewhere for a couple hours, I'll occasionally leave them out (and make sure everything is out of reach).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your cat has problems being locked up, what works for us is giving Murdoch (the cat) a really high value treat when we put him in the room. If we do that, he's content to spend time in his room without any fuss at all. If we don't give him a treat before we lock him up, he yowls for 5-10 minutes, and then decides he'd rather be napping.
I think the cat would be fine. I would give her the run of the upstairs.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Coco (1 and a half years old) gets free range of the downstairs area when left home alone. That would be the living room, dining and kitchen. She has access to a doggie door that leads out into an ex-pen in the backyard. She's had free range since she was around a year old. I made the choice to get rid of the indoor pen when I realized she wasn't chewing anything while I was gone. She was asleep. She's also housetrained. I could leave her all day alone while I'm at work, but I come home at lunch to check in with her. I can tell I wake her up when I come home--she has groggy eyes.

The new puppy, Lucky, is currently in an indoor ex-pen. It's not huge--maybe 5x5 (he's only 7.5 pounds). It's got a bed, one toy and water. At 5-6 months he is also, remarkably, housetrained. He spent most of his formative months outside before I rescued him, so I think he strongly prefers going to the bathroom on grass. He also sleeps when I'm gone, although he yaps when I leave for about 2-3 minutes. Now I come home not just to see Coco (who has access to the doggie door) but to let Lucky out to use the bathroom.

When Lucky shows me that he's not going to eat my furniture/pillows/etc., then I'll try to let him have free range of the downstairs area for short time periods. Right now, though, he's at the tail end of teething, and I expect him to continue chewing for awhile after that (because, you know, it's fun).

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My basset hound has a wire style kennel that is his personal space. He has his bed and baby blanket ( yes he had it when he was a baby lol ) and he loves being in there. Could never trust him loose when no one is around. I can't trust him when i AM around.

My husky like many husky's does not like to be in a small enclosed space. we tried every sort of kennel and he destroys them we even had a giant crate they use to transport dogs on an aircraft. 2 mastiffs could fit into this crate comfortably. It wouldn't fit through the door without taking it apart. and he destroyed it. So he has a sun room converted into a dog kennel complete with a dog house and his fav toys.

Vader our pit bull stays in his plastic crate. He loves his crate. but my house would be destroyed if I let him free roam. He would probably eat the sofa or something I leave nothing to chance. And I try not to let it surprise me when he does things like rip a wooden fence plank off his fence and run around the yard with it like a toy. To him everything is a toy.

my dogs REALLY are well behaved ^_^

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm very fortunate in that I take my dog to work with me every day. However, I have a hobby that takes me out of the house all day on some weekend days. Kenda has free rein in the house; she tore up one or two things as a puppy but has been freakishly angelic as an adult.

So I'd say that it's all about your dog. If your dog is trustworthy, honor him or her with more freedom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts