Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a dog right now, but I will be getting a puppy this spring. I'm not on any waiting list yet, I will be contacting breeders around December though and hope for a pup between March and May. It feels like an eternity from now! I haven't had a dog of my own in five years! My roommate has two but it's not the same. What do/did you do while waiting for the right time for a puppy, or while you were waiting for a litter? I feel like I'm just staring at the calendar right now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've never been on a waiting list, but I would most likely look up pictures of my breed as puppies.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just generally look up "puppies" everyday lol.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
^^Saving money.
I also (when it got closer) I'd start price checking and watching availability of crates. I buy a lot of things second hand so, I patrolled the buy/sell sites daily for a crate at a good price/condition/size to purchase.
And when I was about a month away I started... like... nesting hahaha. I bought toys, bedding, treats, bowls, leash, collars, brushes, shampoos/conditioners... I checked food brands I would most likely feed (because this can become a pretty big ordeal depending on your dog's sensitivities and is pretty invaluable to learn about), watched training videos about every problem I could think of. Repeatedly looked at different breeders/rescue and dug into every word/test they had on their page until I knew their page inside and out and was 100% the breeder/rescue was the one.

I read articles about tests you can do if the breeder lets you pick the puppy out of the mix, to find a personality suitable to you. I read every article I could think of. Any question that came to mind I'd google and read a billion articles/watch videos until I found an answer I liked.

I researched sports, and games, to play with your dog. I researched all sorts of breeds even if I was set on one. I even went to the library and took out books about the breeds I liked.

I'm kind of obsessive about dogs though. I feel like my compulsive googling has definitely helped though, when it comes to talking to other dog people. I can hold a conversation with my vet and understand 90% of the terms he's using. Same with the dog nutritionist and trainers here, while my roommate asks me to explain afterwards all the time.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm actually becoming a trainer so researching about dog temperaments and personalities is kinda part of my job at the moment lol. I know I'll be doing a lot of "nesting." I spend a lot of time at pet stores because of my other animals so I bet I come home with lots of puppy things! And one of my good friends owns a boutique that sells MANY types of higher quality dog food, so I don't even have to research because she'll just tell me what I should try lol. Right now saving money is my biggest priority. I'm working CONSTANTLY and putting away as much money as possible. Maybe I'll try to go to some dog shows and meet people in my breed...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Enjoy your freedom now and get ready for a rough 2-3 months. Raising a puppy is rewarding but it's very much like beating your head off of a wall sometimes. You can also volunteer at dog related charities, but I'd mostly enjoy the freedom. I woudln't want a dog that I didn't raise, but it's a lot of work.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Literally my career is handling dogs, I don't need to volunteer at anything dog related lol. And this will be the second puppy I've raised in two years. my roommate and I raised hers this past year. I don't care much for the freedom, and I am more than prepared for a puppy. I more looking for how people coped with the excitement and impatience during the waiting period for their pups. More for conversation than for advice.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I'm actually becoming a trainer so researching about dog temperaments and personalities is kinda part of my job at the moment lol. I know I'll be doing a lot of "nesting." I spend a lot of time at pet stores because of my other animals so I bet I come home with lots of puppy things! And one of my good friends owns a boutique that sells MANY types of higher quality dog food, so I don't even have to research because she'll just tell me what I should try lol. Right now saving money is my biggest priority. I'm working CONSTANTLY and putting away as much money as possible. Maybe I'll try to go to some dog shows and meet people in my breed...
Good idea! It's good to start networking a little early to find out who is a good breeder and who is going to be having puppies. I waited far too long to get on any kind of list for both dogs and then scrambled around trying to find something in my time frame.

I planned what puppy classes/agility classes we were going to. I also built/bought lots of learning surfaces/toys for puppy (wobble/tippy board, puppy enrichment playground, doggy fitness discs etc). I researched the food they were going to get. I spent a lot of time getting house stuff done that needed painted, fixed or cleaned so that I wouldn't be rushed to do it when I was exhausted from puppy. Then after finding good deals on all the necessity puppy stuff needed, I go out and have FUN. I spend extra time with friends and family. I went on vacation for the last time (at least non dog friendly one anyway) before getting Kairi. I slept. I slept so much and enjoyed every moment. :p

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Welllllll... I'm stuck their right now. But, I don't plan to get a dog until 3-6 years. So maybe that helps?

Honestly, I'd start contacting breeders now. The early, the better, and the more likely you'll get a dog [Be.ewteen March amd May].A lot of good breeders have long waiting listings, because there dogs are in high demand. Don't worry, the majority of breeders will have no issues if you contact them early in the game.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Neither of my two current dogs are breeder dogs (and Cupcake was more planned than Donut). However I spent tons of time here (lurked on and off for years)--reading threads from years ago and eventually making an account. I was always on petfinder, on local shelters' Facebook pages, scouring craigslist for non-shady rehomes, etc.

If I were going the breeder route I'd say research, research, research! What are issues in my breed? What are health concerns I should be aware of?

Once I was locked and loaded on a breeder I would probably try to restrain myself but end up pestering them as much as possible lol.

And there is still value in researching food yourself, though it is nice you have a friend to help you out.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'm on a waiting list now. Hopefully due in October. Before then though and currently.

I obses over puppy pictures and other breed related pictures.
I purchased a new grooming kit, piece by piece
Purchased a training lead
In the months to come I'll continue purchasing things we need piece by piece, so when he comes home I'll need nothing but the remaining balance of the puppy
Look up training books, videos,
Start a puppy schedule.
Find a vet, daycare, fun parks.

Basically I'm using all the time to fully be 90% prepared when he comes home. I say 90, because let's face were never prepared for that first night of puppy cries from the kennel lol.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly, I'd start contacting breeders now. The early, the better, and the more likely you'll get a dog [Be.ewteen March amd May].A lot of good breeders have long waiting listings, because there dogs are in high demand. Don't worry, the majority of breeders will have no issues if you contact them early in the game.
I think you're right, I should start contacting. I have no clue where to start! I did reach out to a breeder nearby on Facebook but they haven't gotten back to me yet :/

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
The first thing I'd do is fine]d the breeder(s) I like and get on their list. YOU may want a puppy between March & May but if you aren't on a list, you may not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I continued to read and learn as much as I could about our pup-to-be, since he's our first Kerry. Also gathered info and advice from the breeder as to grooming tools/equipment, and had most of the grooming tools purchased before we got our pup. Did a lot of reading about dog food; too much, in hindsight.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Long-term planning and me don't really go together, so there wasn't a whole lot of waiting beyond just waiting for the pups to be of age to pick up. Basically my waiting consisted of me obsessed over puppy pictures and constantly checking for updates.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Long-term planning and me don't really go together, so there wasn't a whole lot of waiting beyond just waiting for the pups to be of age to pick up. Basically my waiting consisted of me obsessed over puppy pictures and constantly checking for updates.
Unfortunately I'm also the last-minute type but I'm waiting this time because my work schedule is crazy right now and I really don't want the majority of potty training to occur in the winter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts