Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been taking my 8 month Berner down to the park for off leash running and she's been great, going not far from me as she always has to see me, and we are both really enjoying the exercise. Anyway, no one is hardly down there at this time of year so it's perfect with the winding roads, trees etc... I put a leash on her if there are people with their dogs around and such..my question is, what do you do if an off leash dog spots you and runs towards you and you have no idea what the other dog is like?? Yesterday I had her on a leash because of other dogs around and I spotted a dog off leash across the way and luckily he/she never saw us. I don't worry about mine because she is happy go lucky and very friendly but what if another dog approached us and was aggressive, what do you do?? just in case something ever happens

·
Banned
749 Posts
First of all no matter what I always have Lola on a leash unless we are inside the dog park which is fenced in and off leash.

I did have the scenario you are talking about one time. This lady and her dog came over the dunes into the parking lot. Her dog was off leash and Lola was on leash. The dog was a German Shepard and he came running over so fast I hardly had time to react so the only thing I was able to do is pick Lola's leash straight up with her still attached.

Another time Lola was on leash (as always) and there was a guy with a PBT puppy that was off leash. The puppy came running up to Lola but he was showing signs (body language) that he wanted to play so in that case I let them get to know each other and all was well.

For your own safety and your dog's safety you should really consider keeping the dog on leash at all times unless you and the dog are in a totally fenced in area and you are there to supervise the dog.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm ALWAYS there , we walk around a figure 8 type road and I can see from across the distance if there is anyone around and if there is or someone comes I call her and put her leash on. She never strays more than about 10 feet from me. She's actually better off leash than on. It's only when I see another dog off leash and she is leashed that I get concerned that the other will barge across the roads and come at us. My pup is big so picking her up with leash and all is no option, too heavy. She is just so friendly that I fear for her and just hope that the other person has a friendly dog:)

·
Banned
335 Posts
The simple way to deal with the situation is to never have your dog off leash. Does the park have rules that say that dogs are allowed to be there off leash?

·
Banned
749 Posts
Well if you want to keep her off leash but actually on leash, get a long training leash. This way it seems that the dog is off leash gets a lot of space to move around but not actually off leash.

I just recently bought one to practice sit, stay, wait with Lola outside. She has a lot of fun on it but if I see something I do not like I can pull her in. The other day I was outside with it and the neighbor was across the street with there dog. Lola went running and the leash flew out of my hand. I was going to step on it to stop her but yelled HEY before I did and she stopped in her tracks and came running back to me.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Well if you want to keep her off leash but actually on leash, get a long training leash. This way it seems that the dog is off leash gets a lot of space to move around but not actually off leash.

I just recently bought one to practice sit, stay, wait with Lola outside. She has a lot of fun on it but if I see something I do not like I can pull her in. The other day I was outside with it and the neighbor was across the street with there dog. Lola went running and the leash flew out of my hand. I was going to step on it to stop her but yelled HEY before I did and she stopped in her tracks and came running back to me.

the OP isn't concerned about theirs being off leash....they're asking what to do if a loose dog comes running up while their dog is on leash, which can change the scenario....

OP, when mine are on leash and another dog approaches, i make mine sit beside me and then will place myself more between them and the other dog until i know how things are going to go....if need be, i will put my knee into the other dog and keep it away if it is acting aggressively/pushy....

·
Registered
177 Posts
the OP isn't concerned about theirs being off leash....they're asking what to do if a loose dog comes running up while their dog is on leash, which can change the scenario....
I noticed tha too and went back to read the OP b/c I thought I read it wrong!

OP, when mine are on leash and another dog approaches, i make mine sit beside me and then will place myself more between them and the other dog until i know how things are going to go....if need be, i will put my knee into the other dog and keep it away if it is acting aggressively/pushy....
I do the same thing. I put my dog in a sit, and put myself between the two dogs. Then I "puff up" like a boxer and in a very stern and loud voice say "NO" "BACK" and move slightly toward the oncoming dog. If it comes closer, I become more delibrite and more dominate to the situation.

I have only had one dog, cause me any problem. I defended my dog calmly, and the dog was pushed away several times by the side of my foot and the front of my leg. I made sure I didn't hurt the dog, but I had to be the "control" in the situation in order to insure my safety and my dog's safety. After the second contact, the dog moved away and kept it's distance. It left the area after a few minutes no worse for the encounter.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your replys. When I do use the leash it is a long one. She's just so flippin happy and friendly towards any dog and has yet to meet an aggressive one:eek: but I will try to make her sit and get between the two if this ever happens. I have more of a temper than she does:) We are taking her there again today and being Sunday I'm sure there will be more people so I'll probably have to keep her on leash. In the Spring and Summer ALL dogs have to have a leash but in the Winter when no one is hardly there people let them run free. Wish me luck for today!:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts