Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. :wave:

I was just wondering what everyone here likes to collect. For me I love collecting glass animals from either Hagen-Renaker or Northern Rose. I have a lot more HR than NR figurines, but it's still fun to collect them (I have over 300+) and I love to name them and put in breeds if the supplier doesn't.

HR: http://www.little-shoppe.com/
NR: http://www.tias.com/stores/erc/
(it's the first one to click on)

So what do you collect?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Biggest is music. 10,000 vinyls. 3,000 + CDs (some are special editions and rarities) have everything from drums, guitars, bass, violin, cello, bongos, keyboards, piano, trombone, flutes, DJ equipment, etc. etc.

Kidrobot and other art vinyl toys probably have a few hundred pieces. Also goes hand in hand is art prints from urban artists which I hope to be able to get more of. There's also DIY figures of these and I have been done a few.

Jewelry. I like odd pendants and charms on necklaces. I have a few vintage show pieces.

Books. I'm a reformed bibliophile. I have books as far back as the 1800's and have a few good show pieces like a 1st edition Lolita (one of my favorite books).

Most of these I've slowed significantly down on. Soo broke lately. Once there was a time where I made great money and bought whatever the hell I wanted. I used to have a large collection of designer high heel shoes and I sold all of them since I injured myself and I cannot do 6 inches on a bum knee. I sold about 100 shoes. Some like my Christian Louboutin's sold for a profit...shocking since it's a used freaking shoe.

I have a lot of hobbies I try out so I have a ton of randomness in the house. I just wouldn't call it "collecting" when there isn't a "value" attached to some of them.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I collect Breyers horses, ceramic dog figures, and elephants. I usually receive one of those three as a gift on Birthdays or Christmas.

My original horse collection from when I was a kid somehow diminished over the years. My new one is not very large yet. Although I am adding off brands also now. I may be up to a whole 7 horses! I do however have the 2011 Breyers Christmas horse on order from our local toy store.

My elephants have all gone to my youngest Son to add to his collection including the painting I did for him of an elephant charging through the bush. It was part of my collection. My prize elephant is hand carved and belonged to my Great Grandmother and is over 100 years old along with a metal elephant from the same era. I believe the large one was carved in ivory or bone. It was handed down to me when I reached adulthood. Nobody gets that one until I am gone! :)

·
Super Moderator
11,513 Posts
I collect knives.

My father carried a pocket knife every day of his life. He would use them to remove slivers when I was a kid, which basically taught me to avoid slivers or keep very quiet if I got one. In his 90's, he was frequently getting his knives confiscated by airport security. He'd say, "Do I look like a terrorist?" and I'd say, "I think that's the idea, Dad." Every Father's Day he'd get a new Swiss Army knife, which he'd have until the next time he flew.

I have my weekday pocket knives, which are fairly discreet, and my weekend knives, which are more substantial. I also have some "knives" which I can never carry anywhere, but which I might need in case of a zombie apocalypse or if I have to cut down a medium-size tree.

Maybe I'll post some photos later 'cause I also collect cameras.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I guess ribbons... Dog show ones. They cover pretty much most of my wall space.. I'm willing to admit I'm a ribbon wh*re.. But only while my guys are having fun. I they had enough agility.. I wouldn't want to play anymore..

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I collect rocks.
Exciting,no?

I wanted to be a geologist many many moons ago and knew all the types/origins (not so much now) it's been a while. I had a great collection I kept in shoes boxes when I was a kid. When my parents divorced we had to move many time over a few years and my rocks were considered not moveable nor worthwhile keeping. Many many moons later, I have my own little place in the world and I decide what is important. I have a nice little collection of rocks and crystals that sit in little bowls around my apt. I still pick up an occasional stone from the lakeshore or wherever I happen to visit as a memento.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Cracker.. that sounds lovely. Pictures of your collection in bowls?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The_Monstors--holy mackerel!! That's a lot of music!! I buy movie soundtracks, but have no where near your level. That's really cool though! Btw, what does DIY mean?

Abbylynn--that's neat, I hear a lot of people collect those Breyer horses. So I guess they're not for play, just for show? Your ivory elephant sounds really pretty.

RonE--I'm staying far away from you, lol! Jk, I never heard of someone collecting knives, do you keep them somewhere safe?

MafiaPrincess--that's neat as well! How many do you actually have? And congrats for getting that many!

Cracker--my mother used to collect rocks when we went up to Massachusetts, but we stopped a long time ago. Do you get any kind or do you look for the neater ones?

Do you guys, the ones who collect figurines, name them? All of my guys are named and I just finished naming one today, from a Harry Potter character, the Gray Lady. I put up three every month, right now there's Beau (Papillon), Wally (American Satin Rabbit), and Kyle (English Cocker Spaniel).

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Those Breyer horses come with names because they are mostly modeled after real life horses. There are really big conventions held and people from all over the world go to see them, buy, sell, trade. You can even warm them up and reshape them. Those are the ones who are most frequently in the contests. It is a huge hobby for some. You can still play with them too. I have for the last 50 years! Lol! :)

For the dog figurines.......I try to name them because they are special, as my Nieces and Nephews are the ones who always surprise me with them .:) I did find a really neat Saluki figurine at an antique store a few months back. I am still trying to think of a good name for that one.......he is old. Maybe I will just call him "Timer" (old-timer! Lol!)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
As a kid I had a nice license plate collection. You don't actually collect them, but rather record when/where you saw each state's plate. I found all 50 and then started in on the Canadian ones, plus the islands. I still keep my eyes open for really rare ones.

I have a few small collections: shells, sharks teeth, sea glass.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Um does collecting alcohol count?
We aren't alcoholics or party peeps, but collect a pretty respectable bar. I'm into mixology and so I've been slowly getting some interesting stuff to make vintage cocktails like Blood and Sand, Aviation, Manhattan, etc. Mostly we are into the whiskeys- Irish, scotches and the favorite is bourbon. I'm also very much into gins and have all the types: American, Scottish, English. We also collect rare beer and age it (some I keep for trading with other beer nerds online so it does have some value). I used to have a crazy wine collection even before I was legal but I drank/sold all of that and not into wine anymore.

The_Monstors--holy mackerel!! That's a lot of music!! I buy movie soundtracks, but have no where near your level. That's really cool though! Btw, what does DIY mean?
DIY- do it yourself. They have plain white figures and some people go all out crazy. There's some serious contests and some artist do one off figures with the DIY ones that get bid for crazy amounts of money. I have pictures of our CDs somewhere...you can see some of the vinyls. Most of them are scattered right now...most are still in our old house. Been lazy moving them all.

·
Registered
631 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Abbylynn--whoa that's cool that there are conventions for them! I'm guessing you've gone to a few? I wish HR/NR would do that, that'd be cool. Timer sounds like a good name!

GottaLuvMutts--that sounds cool! Good luck with seeing all those Canadian provinces. For the shark teeth, do you have any of the bigger sharks like the Tigers or Bulls? Just wondering as I love sharks.

The_Monstors--whoa! That is some collection indeed! Plus you have the room for it too; I'm running out of room for my collection but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop collecting.

Jare--unicorns, cool! They are one of the coolest mythological creatures there are (well besides pegasus too). Do you name them?

BellaPup--is seaglass where all those fancy sand colors are in a jar?

MafiaPrincess--checked out the link you gave me and cool!! Those are a lot of ribbons, you must really be proud! I wanted to start Luke with agility, just not sure where to go yet.

Damon'sMom--that's neat!! I love wolves too, do you have a specific type of wolf you like (Gray, Mexican, etc)? Do you name them and your other figurines? So where have you've traveled? I used to collect candles, but it bugged my mother that she couldn't light them, so I stopped, lol. Do you have a favorite type of scent?

Sorry for so many of the questions guys, it's really interesting to see what everyone collects. We're going to Mullica Hills this Saturday and I'm hoping to get three more glass animals (if they're still there). They're rarities that only cost $3.00 there!! On any other website, it'd be going for $20.00 at least.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I collect seaglass...although it's very hard to find now-a-days. Makes it more of a challenge I guess.
Wait, really? In New Hampshire? I found a ton of it on Appledore Island, Maine several summers ago.

Cottons, the best place I ever collected sharks teeth was a quarry in North Carolina. There were so many you had to ignore the little ones and just pick up the big ones. I have a few teeth that are more than an inch in diameter, so probably from big sharks, although I've never keyed them out to figure out species (not sure if that would even be possible?, as many species are probably extinct).

1 - 20 of 56 Posts