Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
It sounds like in the article he didn't make any attempt to return and save her at all so no I don't feel he should get the dog back. I hope they do end up charging him with animal cruelty as well. I can understand needing to leave the dog in fear of the safety for the younger person hiking with him but making no attempt to return for the dog makes it abandonment.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
His failure to attempt a rescue after abandoning his dog vacates his ownership rights in my book.

Plus, ripped up pads were a predictable result of the trip. The owner should have toughened the pads or protected them before the hike. Failure to do so is one thing; leaving him to die over it is another.

Yuck. Give her to the people who committed themselves to getting her down.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
First of all, he brought the dog up there with no protection for her feet. He continued to walk her up there as she was tearing up her feet, then left her die because her feet were torn up.

He not only shouldn't get his dog back, he should go to jail for what he did to her.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Nope. He left her up there to die and didn't even attempt to get help getting her back down. A clear case of abandonment.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
He left her on a mountain... to die. I sympathize a LITTLE with the situation, if it really was about the safety of another climber but he made no rescue attempt whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Oh, also he must have known she was tearing up her feet long before she became truly unable to walk. What about when she started to lag behind, when she started to limp? If he cared at all about her welfare he would have turned back when he realized what the climb was doing to his dog, before the other climber got into trouble... I take it back, I don't sympathize with him at all. He walked her into the ground for what? A chance to summit some mountain?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
IMHO ... Absolutley not! He does not deserve his dog back. I am sorry. As much as I love dogs and believe they need to be with their rightful owner(s)... there is a limit!

First I would not take my dog into a dangerous situation. And ... If it were my dog I would have found a way to get her down if I had to contact my local news department for coverage .... we do not live in prehistoric times and all know the news media can bring anything to others attention. And you know darn well someone would step forward to help!

You cannot tell me this dog's owner is not aware of this.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Hell no he shouldn't. He should be charged with animal cruelty/neglect though.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Nope. I understand why he left her initially, but as soon as he got that younger hiker to safety, he should have worked hard to rescue the dog. He didn't even try; he just assumed after three days (only three days!) that she was dead and gave up. The couple who found her and went to such great lengths to rescue her deserve to keep her.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
If a passerby stranger could post and show how to get back to her and complete strangers could organize to save a dog they do not even know. the owner could have done the same thing. he could have been the one to post her location and seek help. He couldn't even do that. how sad. I hope she gets to go to a home where people appreciate her.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Um, seriously? After all that he asked for the dog back? What a dope.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, those were my thoughts exactly (all the above).....she is such a beautiful girl and to have to be put thru that.....i wouldn't be leaving the mountain w/out my dog....

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Call me full of it but I think I would've scooted down on my hind end with the dog in my lap before I left her. I've done it before with Aleu and I'd do it again.
If leaving the dog was the absolute only option ever without a doubt life or death, I would be up there the next morning, before the sun even came up to go get my dog, after being sick with worry all night.

Awful people in this world.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
The article stated that that type of mountain trail wasn't good for dogs, and yet this guy brings his dog up there? I can sort of understand why he had to leave his dog....okay no I can't, but then he doesn't make any attempt to get his dog back? And complete strangers do? Sorry Mr. Ortolani, I hope you don't get your dog back and are brought up on animal cruelty charges. I hope Missy makes a full recovery and goes to someone who has love and respect for all animals.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
No excuses. I can't imagine ever leaving my dog to fend for herself. I'm with HollowHeaven on this one.

And what's up with this?

However, the rescue team was unable to respond because it is solely reserved for human rescues.

Have to admit, I'm torn on this one. I know how dangerous it can be in the mountains even for experienced people who are well-supplied, so sending up rescuers is a serious thing. But knowing there was an injured dog up there and doing nothing about it? Like I said, I'm torn.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Strangers-Band-Together-For-Dog-Rescue-From-Mt-Bierstadt-166468416.html

Good. I'll be interested to hear what happens after this. I hope the couple who found and saved the dog get to keep her.
I have to agree. The poor girl :( I cant believe people. 8 days?! and you cant go back and save your own dog, yet some strangers see her and do everything they can, then a group of strangers plus the couple who found her group up and save her... those people are truly heroes. Major props to them. I am interested in what is going to happen. To me the guy does not deserve his dog back at all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts