Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet recommended me trying this dog food:

Ingredients
Venison, Potato, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Brewers Rice, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Chicken Meal, Fish Meal, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, Chicken Flavor, Brewers Dried Yeast, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Salt, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Choline Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Rosemary Extract

Calories:
156.2 kcal/100g Carbohydrate

Crude Protein not less than 23.00 %
Crude Fat not less than 14.00 %
Crude Fiber not more than 4.00 %
Moisture not more than 10.00 %
Vitamin E not less than 140 IU/kg
Omega-6 Fatty Acids not less than 1.75 %*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids not less than 0.30 %*

Is that a good dog food?
(I'll tell you the name later:D)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Not awful, but not great either. I'd say average. You could do a lot worse and also a lot better.

I like that venison is the first flavour. That's a good sign. However, I would like to see the chicken and fish meal a little higher. Personally I would prefer a little less grain. The sorghum, rice AND barley is a little much for me. The chicken flavor and salt also strike me as a little odd.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's on the same price with Pro Plan that i 'm currently using(sometimes i use ONE two).

It is Eukanuba Wild Nature Venison & Potato. My vet told me that his dog is doing great with these new formulas -with the old ones too- and i should give it a try...
I never liked eukanuba as a dry food and i had never tried it.But these new formulas seems to be better than the usuall.

(i also feed fresh food)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Yeah, it is better than Eukanuba's typical stuff. I think now that pet owners are starting to get more savvy about food, the bigger companies like Eukanuba are starting to feel pressured to put out stuff of actual quality... However, I'd still say that this formula is pretty overpriced.

·
Registered
500 Posts
That looks like Eukanbuba Naturally Wild. I would stay away from any Mars company myself.

Yeah, it is better than Eukanuba's typical stuff. I think now that pet owners are starting to get more savvy about food, the bigger companies like Eukanuba are starting to feel pressured to put out stuff of actual quality... However, I'd still say that this formula is pretty overpriced.
I'm almost positive it's Eukanuba the OP is talking about... so it IS the typical Eukanbua stuff.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Yeah, it IS Eukanuba, but I'm saying it's not as bad as their typical stuff. It's better than that imo. No corn and by-products. This isn't a horrible food. Just because it's Eukanuba doesn't make it awful. MOST Eukanuba food is awful, but this isn't.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that i 'll try it.
The ingredients look better than ProPlan(but it doesn't make it better food).
It is overpriced ,but from the brands that i can find, it looks better...:rolleyes:
+there is a 7,5kg and it will last for a month.:eek:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it, not because of who makes it, but rather because the food is composed mostly of filler. It's not a horrible food but it is rather lower on the scale. And just because Venison is listed as the first ingredient, that does not mean it is the main ingredient. Since "venison" includes water, once removed it puts venison further back on the list. In effect, the food is mostly potato and grains with very little meat protein. But if you're happy with it and your dog does well on it then by all means go ahead and feed it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Once again i 'm really disappointed.
I just read the ingredients of Venison & Potato formula(US) that i can buy in Greece,which is actually Venison & Multigrain formula(UK).

Ingredients
Venison(>14%), corn(>14%), sorghum, chicken meal, rice(>10%), barley, animal fat, poultry meal, dried beet pulp, dried whole egg, chicken digest, potassium chloride, brewer's dried yeast, fish oil, sodium chloride, sodium hexametaphosphate, DL-methionine, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate.
Additives per kg:
Vitamin A:12000 IU/kg, Vitamin D :900 IU/kg, Vitamin E ( α-tocopherol):200 mg/kg, Copper as Copper II Sulphate:25 mg/kg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts