Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a first time dog owner, but let me explain: I am still grieving from the premature loss of my Ridgeback male, who, though I loved him very much, was ornery around children and dog aggressive. I am looking to get a puppy, and like the looks of boxers, but I don't know much about them. Are they typically aggressive or unmanageable? I've been searching online at backpage.com, and came across some good leads.

Any advice on the breed and the online buying process?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I don't think any leads you come across on that site are going to be worth the electrons they're 'printed' in.

I'd start here: http://www.americanboxerclub.org/buy-pup.html - by contacting the ABC's corrosponding secretary, who can referr you to reputable local breeders. Take a serious look at the health info on that site. Boxers are NOT a healthy breed- many breeds aren't, but boxers seem to get more than their share of heartbreak.

Buying online is a perfect setup for YOU getting scammed.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
What you need to know about buying on line is simple.... DO NOT DO IT!

If you are interested in Boxer's contact your local kennel club and Veterinarians and ask for referrals to Breeders and rescues in your area. Be prepared to fill out an application to purchase a puppy. Be sure that the breeder does ALL of the necessary health checks on their breeding stock. This does not mean "vet checked puppies" it means that for several generations the breeding stock has met health requirements for the breed. Ex. hips, thyroid, elbows, eyes etc... all OFA good. I would personally be looking for a breeder that shows their stock, doesn't just say "my dogs are quality so I breed them" The point of a show is to have an outside party (the judge) deem the dog quality.

Boxer's are wonderful dogs. They are very energetic, can be willful at times, have a great sense of humor and seem to be eternally puppies. Training is a must (as it is with all breeds) Early socialization is a must. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, I'm getting a lot of negative feedback on buying online, so thanks everyone; I wanted to see what people thought. Is it backpage.com, or craigslist, etc, that are bad places specifically, or any classifieds site online in general? I got my Ridgeback from an ad in the paper and he was a beautiful specimen of a dog, and I have remained friends with the people who sold him to me. I was under the impression that online classifieds are basically the same as printed ones. Guess I'm wrong!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I would say you lucked out if you got a great dog from a classified page. Not to say there are not many wonderful pets out there in those classified but there are also many unscrupulous sellers just trying to make a buck off of their dogs.
Just curious though, why was your Ridgeback lost prematurely? Was it a health issue? Temperament? These are the kinds of things I would much like to see you avoid in the future, if possible. Getting a pup from a breeder that does all the temperament testing, health testing and is there for you for the life of that puppy is the best. Can you still get a dog with health issues out of that? Sure, but the chances are definitely stacked in your favor. Dogs lives are way too short as it is. I want to have the best possible chance of getting a dog that will be long lived. At least as long life as is possible in my breed of choice.
Not all breeders are created equal. Do your homework and hopefully that will pay off in the long run. What state are you in? There might be people on this board that can recommend a breeder for you. Also, I wouldn't over look rescue either. If nothing else, they might be able to help you find a breeder that IS responsible and steer you clear of the bad ones in your area.
As a rescue advocate myself, I still recommend "good breeder's" lets face it, we need them to keep the breed as it should be. The bad breeders are the ones that produce less desirable traits by breeding Willy nilly just for profit.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Wow, I'm getting a lot of negative feedback on buying online, so thanks everyone; I wanted to see what people thought. Is it backpage.com, or craigslist, etc, that are bad places specifically, or any classifieds site online in general? I got my Ridgeback from an ad in the paper and he was a beautiful specimen of a dog, and I have remained friends with the people who sold him to me. I was under the impression that online classifieds are basically the same as printed ones. Guess I'm wrong!

There is no way I'd buy from breeders on EITHER of those sites or from a newspaper ad, they are FULL of scammers, BYB and puppy mills. use the http://www.americanboxerclub.org/ link given earlier given to you earlier to find a reputable breeder that will be there for you AND your pup for both your lives. I've experienced the heartbreak of owning a poorly bred boxer that I had to have PTS due to a brain lesion (which Boxers are prone to) at 9 months old.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Do not buy a puppy from a classified ad , craigslist, or anything like that.

1. The best way to find a good breeder is to go to a meeting of your local kennel club and ask. Boxers being a very popular breed you will probably find many contacts there - maybe even some breeders themselves. Different breeders may have different emphasis in their programs - some may aim for conformance, some for sports, some for working ability, etc. depending on the breed.

2. Good breeders almost never advertise to the general public - they don't have to. BTW, that doesn't mean they won't have a web site. Many, many excellent breeders do have a web site these days.

3. Most of the time, you will have to go on a waiting list for a puppy. Rarely will a good breeder have a puppy or dog immediately available. It does happen once in a while for various reasons, but don't count on it. You will probably also have to 'qualify' as a potential owner.

4. I'm going to make a statement that will get me in trouble but here goes - ALL BREEDS HAVE POTENTIAL HEALTH PROBLEMS. Some less serious than others, but none are zero. Good breeders know what these problems are. Some breeders - unfortunately not all breeders - do try to maintain or establish lines so as to minimize that potential. Enough said - you'll have to do some research.

Good luck in your search and enjoy your puppy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
4. I'm going to make a statement that will get me in trouble but here goes - ALL BREEDS HAVE POTENTIAL HEALTH PROBLEMS. Some less serious than others, but none are zero. Good breeders know what these problems are. Some breeders - unfortunately not all breeders - do try to maintain or establish lines so as to minimize that potential. Enough said - you'll have to do some research.
I am curious as to why this statement would get your in trouble? All breeds have their potential health problems, at least that is what I gather from researching different breeds.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I would check out

http://www.newcastleboxers.com - they are an excellent breeder of Boxers in the US. Even if you don't buy a pup from them, you should have similar standards for the breeder you do go to. They have a wonderful set of essays here: http://www.newcastleboxers.com/essays.shtml about Boxers and about choosing good breeders.
Jennifer at Newcastle is a wonderful breeder and mentor. She knows her stuff when it comes to boxers. Get in touch with her, like Rosemaryninja stated, while she may not have any available puppies but she might be able to point you in the right direction as far as breeders go.

I also echo the others regarding buying online. Don't do it. No reputable breeder would advertise or sell in this manner and you are only asking for trouble.

In boxers you want to make sure the breeder preforms all the necessary health testing for heart, hips, eyes and thyroid. More on that here:

Boxer Health Testing

Now be expected to pay a little bit more for a well bred, healthy pup - but it's worth it in the long run.

Beware of backyard breeders:

The Backyard Breeder

Backyard Breeders: Excuses

Lastly, boxers aren't totally unmanageable - but they CAN be if you are not committed to their exercise and training needs. I have two boxers myself and I live in a apartment. It would definitely be a nightmare if I didn't have them on schedule. Boxers are always ready to go, they need a good amount of exercise per day to keep them from bouncing off the walls. My two get about 1.5 - 2 hours of offleash running and walking per day. Boxers are smart and easily trained. Training should begin at day one and continue until adulthood. One training class is not going to do it. ;) If you commit to the above you will have a wonderful companion on your hands. They mature very slowly, so they still stay puppy like well into their adult years. They are total clowns and LOVE to be with their people. Boxers are often referred to as "velcro" dogs as they will follow you around the house EVERYWHERE - even the bathroom if you'd let them.
Anywho...just do your research and be willing to wait to find that perfect puppy.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts

Won't get you in trouble on this forum, in fact it's what most here preach on a regular basis! It's why we encourage either rescue OR reputable breeders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts