Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi it's me again. I went to the vet with my Airedale Terrier today and they told me it's not a tumor or a growth (Thank god.) they did however tell me it might be an infection behind her back molars. This has caused a severe amount of pain when she opens and closes her mouth, and her right eye has swollen and rolled back (Only the white is visible). She was seriously dehydrated and the vet put some fluids into her.

I was recommened to feed her soft foods such as scrambled eggs. I tried to feed her macaroni today and she ate a few bites before squealing in pain and practically running away from her food bowl with her tail tucked. She has been drinking water and she eats/lapps up half melted ice cream.

Any ideas on what I should feed her? She can not open her mouth well, only being able to stick her tongue out and pick up food with her small front teeth.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Meat baby food (expensive for a large dog, so you can put regular meat in a blender or food processor, too). Canned dog food mixed with water until it's mushy. Whatever you normally feed her, put through the food processor. Also, ask your ver vet about using something like Pediasure or Ensure. I'm not sure if there's some ingredient in the human kind that dogs shouldn't have or if the dog version is the same stuff.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Baby food.

You are getting a vet to do something about the possible abcess though really soon, right? Tooth abcesses are very painful and can cause an animal to go septic and kill them. It is serious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have already processed her normal food and she has yet to touch it. She did however give it a small taste after my constant begging. She seems to feel a little better after some ice cream, maybe the cold is soothing the pain? However I know I can not continue to keep feeding her half melted ice cream, so if she still doesn't eat tomorrow I am going to contact the vets again.

Nikes, the vet prescribed pain killers, eye drops and antibiotics, but that was all. If it doesn't get any better in the next day or two I am taking her to the emergancy vet clinic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts