Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my puppy Koby first came to live with us he was eating Beneful and itching like crazy. We then switched him to Natural Balance's Sweet Potato and Fish, since that was what the pet store guy recommended for itchy pups. He has been itching less, but nonetheless, still itching. Could he be allergic to sweet potato? I've heard that some dogs are allergic to potato, but haven't heard anything about sweet potato. I want to switch him to something potato-less and something that has a meat, not fish, as the protein source. Also, is it better to give a food specifically geared towards puppies, or are all-life-stage foods okay?

·
Registered
894 Posts
i have a dog that was itching like crazy while on beneful. i switched to nutro natural choice limited ingriedient. got a loooot better. now she is on innova and is not itchy at all anymore. i always thought she was allergic to a certain grass or because she is swimming in a pond a lot.
do you know for sure it is a food allergy? and not an "outside" allergy? because i always thought it was an "outside/contact" allergy, until the vet told me it looks more like an "inside" thing.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My Labx is my allergy guy, I have had the best luck with California Naturals Kangaroo n Red Lentil, Earthborn Holistics Meadow Feast, Earthborn Holistics Coastal Catch and Great Life's Salmon grain and potato free formula. I am currently trying Great Life's Buffalo grain and potato free formula. Adult and/or an all life stages formula is just fine. When talking about Quality Foods, there is usually very little difference between the Puppy and Adult formulas.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm actually not sure if it's a food allergy, or an environmental allergy. I'm just trying to rule out a food allergy before I go for an expensive allergy test. What are symptoms of an environmental allergy that is not a symptom of a food allergy? Also, when I brush him out, I notice this white powdery residue on the comb. Is he just dirty, or is this an allergy symptom?

·
Registered
894 Posts
my dog had red spots on her belly, and started having "scabs" on her back. her skin did not feel soft. and she was super itchy. especially because of the red spots i thought its an environmental thing. but the vet said it doesnt look like it. he was right, it seems. i did not do an allergy test. they are a little expensive. the vet just looked at her. also i gave her a bath every two or three days. did not really help...know i know why.
for me innova was the solution. but thats different from dog to dog. you could try a limited ingriedient food.
i dont know about the powdery residue. my dog has really short hair.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm actually not sure if it's a food allergy, or an environmental allergy. I'm just trying to rule out a food allergy before I go for an expensive allergy test. What are symptoms of an environmental allergy that is not a symptom of a food allergy? Also, when I brush him out, I notice this white powdery residue on the comb. Is he just dirty, or is this an allergy symptom?
Symptoms of Enviormental allergies and food allergies can be quite similar so it is hard to say, the biggest difference I have found is food allergies can often cause yeasty ears. The white flakes sound like dandriff to me. Could definitely be caused by poor diet and/or allergies. Adding some extra fish oil, olive oil or Omega 3 to his Diet and using Shampoos with Lavendar, Coconut and or Tea tree oils in them may help

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that you've mentioned yeasty ears, I do notice a bit of an odor in his ears. I'm not quite sure what "yeasty" looks like or smells like, but there is no noticeable discharge or any redness.. His ears look quite normal to me. Is anyone's pup allergic to sweet potato? And the residue on the comb is powdery like corn starch. Isn't dandruff usually flaky? Also been noticing some fur biting and feet licking. :doh: He hasn't gotten to the point where he is losing hair or scabbing, but I would imagine his itchiness is uncomfortable.

·
Registered
246 Posts
is your dog an american eskimo? In my experience the northern breeds thrive on grain free, meat based food - have you tried Blue Buffalo Wilderness or Earthborn? You could aslo try Taste of the Wild, but it is diamond brand some prefer to stay away from that.

I personally love Acana. It's a great food. You could also consider the Zero/G made by darford. It's new but really great.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I also vote for using a grain-free food. My foster dog was on a corn-based grainy food when he came to me. His skin was dry and flakey, his fur was dull, and his eyes were really runny. Since going to a grain-free food (Earthborn) he's made tremendous improvements. No more dry skin, and his coat is visibly improved.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you are trying to figure out if it's a food allergy don't forget to check the treats. Angie is sensitive to chicken. One time DH wasn't careful and I ended up being the one taking her out every 10 minutes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, my pup is an American Eskimo. He is on Natural Balance's Sweet Potato and Fish, so it is already grain free. Do you think he is allergic to sweet potatoes? And yes, I think I need to check the treats. We use Zuke's mini naturals salmon. @Sibe Your foster dog looks amazing!!! Is Innova under Blue Diamond?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Natural Balance tends to be lower in meat content. So you could try a grain free food that's higher in meat content, along with the foods Mheath suggested, there's stuff like Orijen, Evo, Instinct etc.

Just to clarify "Blue Diamond" is not an actual brand. Blue Buffalo kind of has a diamond shaped logo but it's not associate with Diamond foods. The reason some people avoid Diamond is because of a splotchy sanitation record at their plants along with the recent salmonella recall (which was more of an issue for the humans). There are still plenty of owners that feed TotW.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Now that you've mentioned yeasty ears, I do notice a bit of an odor in his ears. I'm not quite sure what "yeasty" looks like or smells like, but there is no noticeable discharge or any redness.. His ears look quite normal to me. Is anyone's pup allergic to sweet potato? And the residue on the comb is powdery like corn starch. Isn't dandruff usually flaky? Also been noticing some fur biting and feet licking. :doh: He hasn't gotten to the point where he is losing hair or scabbing, but I would imagine his itchiness is uncomfortable.
Because of him having a white coat you may not have noticed the flakes, but dandruff does take on a powdery texture when combed out. As for the yeasty ears a foul odor is usually one of the first signs: ( http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-yeast-infection.html ) cutting back on the amount of starches ( potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice etc.) in the food and adding more meat content should help with that.

Starches=sugars=yummy food for yeast.

General rule of thumb:
You want a food that has named meats and/or meat meals as the first 2-3 ingredients followed by the fruit and vegetables etc. if going with a grain inclusive food look for foods that contain oats and/or barley over corn, wheat and rice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help guys!!! I think I'll be switching to something grain and potato free when he gets close to finishing his bag.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Beneful doesn't have sweet potato in it, so your dog could be allergic to anything in the natural balance, not just sweet potato. You may need to do an elimination diet for a while.

·
Registered
262 Posts
you could try california natural they have limited diets that are grain free and a few potato free i think as well the kangaroo has no potato i would eliminate the fish first than the potato.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I also vote for using a grain-free food. My foster dog was on a corn-based grainy food when he came to me. His skin was dry and flakey, his fur was dull, and his eyes were really runny. Since going to a grain-free food (Earthborn) he's made tremendous improvements. No more dry skin, and his coat is visibly improved.
Wow sibe that's just been four months ago??? What a turn around in that foster dog!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts