Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 15-week-old dachshund/chihuahua mix. He can sleep through the night for 6-7 hours in his crate without an accident. However, his crate is in the living area, and sometimes my mom or her fiance will get up in the middle of the night to get a drink or go to the bathroom, and this will wake up the puppy. Should we then just leave him and let him bark until he goes back to sleep? Or will he have to be taken out when he is woken up, because of how young he is?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Once he's in his pen, Hamilton is ignored until it's time for him to go out. (unless something is wrong, obviously, but that's a different bark than the "i want out to plaaaaaay" bark)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I personally always took my very young pups out if I woke them ... but that is me. I would say if the pup puts up a long winded fuss ... take him out, no play, and straight back to the crate, and tell him good night. :) If the pup settles rightly soon enough once disturbed ... all is well. I just know that if I get up in the middle of the night it is usually time to go potty.

3 am today I was awoken by a year old Abbylynn poking me non stop in the face to tell me a five year old Lucy had to go potty! I got up and took them both outside. :doh:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts