Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

What did your dog weigh as a puppy/grown. How big will my mutt be?

62K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Hambonez 
#1 ·
Okay, first, don't tell me that line "There's no knowing with mutts" or anything of the sort. I KNOW. I get it.
Now, with that outta the way. I've got a mixed breed puppy. He looks like a little lab, but I was told the mother was some kind of "shepard that doesn't grow" and then told "she was a cow dog mix". :doh:
Aka: Who knows. I can only guess.
At 8 weeks, he was 4lbs. 9 weeks, he was 5. After a horrific life altering deworming, he's now gone through a bit of a growth spurt and is almost 11 weeks and about 9lbs.
Any guesses on his size?
How big was your dog as a puppy and how big is he/she now?

#2 · (Edited)
8.5 at 11 weeks to me probably says about 30lbs as an adult.

Kylie was 7.5lbs at 4 months and is 12 at 1 year.
Thud was 35lbs at 4 months and is 70ish now, at almost 7 months.

4 months is when we do rabies shots here, so that's the easiest weight for me to remember, but she was barely over a pound when we got her at 4 weeks, and grew a little less than a pound a week until 16 weeks, then slowed WAY down. Thud's pretty consistently done 10lbs/month, with an extra five pounds somewhere between 5-6 months.

#3 ·
I didn't have my current dogs as puppies. But my Lab was 8 pounds when we got her at 6 1/2 weeks, and she was 55-60 pounds when full grown.

So. . .assuming he may have been a bit stunted from the worms, I'm going to guess Tucker will be about 35 pounds.

#5 · (Edited)
Leah Lu was 3.4 pounds at 9 weeks old. She is now 15.9 pounds at nearly 9 months old. She is a Schnauzer/Poodle mix.

One of my rescues was about 30 pounds at 16 weeks and is now almost 80 pounds at 2 years old. That dog was a Lab/Dobie/Rott/Husky? mix ... and he is thin at that weight.

#8 · (Edited)
lol ok

I pulled my vet records for the dogs I had from pups and I find it really weird! it blew me away lol there goes my double at 4 month theory! I have always sworn by that theory lol

ok so at 4 months
Happy was 13lbs
Misty was 8 lbs
Baby was 17lbs

full grown...all 3 are 30lbs lol, and to screw ya up more, height wise, Happy is 21", Baby is 17" and Misty is 18" all 3 are purebreds, Happy and Misty are the same breed.

my muttlys

Gem was 20lbs at 4 months, currently she is 45lbs but not done filling out

I didn't have anyone else at that age.

#9 ·
I would say your pup will be anywhere around 25-40 pounds full grown.

Jasper at 12 weeks was 17-18 pounds. He is now almost 9 months and 51 pounds.
Sophie at 12 weeks was 9 pounds. She is now 29 pounds as an adult (and a little over weight)

#12 ·
These stats are so different. Doesn't seem like there is any really way of telling other than I guess maybe knowing what the breed is. I am getting a kick out of Happy, Baby, Misty. I have Terrier mix who is suppose to get between 15-20 lbs according to vet. He weighed 7.9 lbs. at 12 wks and now at 5 mos weighs 13.4 lbs. He seems like he is putting on about pound a week. So will be interesting to see if he slows down now.

#13 ·
The general rules of thumb:
At about 4 - 5 mos, when the pup gets his adult teeth, he is about 50% of total adult weight. Adult weight = Current weight * 2
At 6 mos, Adult weight = Current weight * 1.5

Weigh the pup every month and guestimate out to about a year for the final weight. Some dogs fill out until 3 yo... but this is a guess :)

These guesses have worked for all the dogs in my family (even with a change due to neutering)... but all of our dogs are between 50 - 100 lbs.

#14 ·
My Bichon a male was about 10.7 pounds when we got him at 4 months. He was 20.7 last month he is now 19.7. as I have changed his food quite a bit. I think he is what he is suppose to be although most feel he is a tad overweight. I am trying to get him at 17 pounds (well ok I will take 18 LOL.) We walk 3 times a day usually for sure an entire hour. I had seen on the www. someplace that at 4 months you times that by 2. that would be there adult weight. At 20 my Benji would be about on target. The vet says he is "6" on there 1-10 scale being a bit overweight. (@20.7) I weigh him weekly at Pet smart scale. I am hoping for another pound loss in a month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.