Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our shihtzy puppy will be 8 months in November when we leave for 9 days. I am completely out of my mind and stressed about us leaving. I know she will be in good hands and I am more worried than she will be but still I can not handle it. I fear she will be traumatized for some reason. She is such a good happy pup loves people loves dogs big and small and is such a chill pup. I can leave her at home with someone living in our home for 9 days or send her to daycare for 9 days. What would you suggest is best? Obviously for daycare I will do my research, go on referrals and pick the best place. I still don't know what is best home sitter vs. daycare. I like the home sitter but I am not the dog and I guess if I were the dog I'd be bored all day wondering where my parents are even if I got comfortable with the pet sitter. If I were in daycare, perhaps I'd be distracted and enjoy it. I just don't know and could use some advice. I am out of my mind worried and sad about leaving her for the 1st time :( If we chose daycare, I think I would do an overnight 1x each month until Novem to get her used to it so she knows we will come back for her. Looking for your experiences (how was your dog when you go back? was she stressed/upset?) and ideas or for someone to calm me down :( thanks!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I always have family watch my dogs(they come stay at my house). My dogs are always fine when I get back. then again I write out 5 strict pages on what to do,lol. If I was to board I would go insane. I have a dog that is DA and has SA. I have another that takes a long time to warm up to people and has tendencies to be DA. If your dog doesn't have any problem to not take her to day care than I would try it out. But if you want to keep her at home find a dog sitter.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
family isn't an option for us unfortunately. I just don't know what would be best for her or less not worrying about us. I wish I was the dog whisper lol and she can tell me what would be best.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
family isn't an option for us unfortunately. I just don't know what would be best for her or less not worrying about us. I wish I was the dog whisper lol and she can tell me what would be best.
I would do a trial run at a day-care and see how it goes. Maybe for a few hours at first and then work up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've boarded my dog about three times (with the same person). Pocky is a little wary of strangers and the lady that owned the place told me that she just left her alone and with time she came out of the crate and they were fine for the rest of the week (which is how long the first vacation lasted). She also does fine with dogs, so I wasn't worried about that. I was mainly worried about her reactions which strangers, and the owner of the place handled her very well. When I came back, Pocky was VERY excited to see me but she didn't seem traumatized at all. We took her back a few months later and we were gone for two weeks. She did remember the lady and didn't seem scared. When we came back she was fine. I actually think she probably had fun because she usually doesn't get to play with other dogs that often.

Since you said your dog loves people/dogs, I'm sure she'll be fine. Momtolabs' idea seems good. She may be more comfortable being at home, but at a daycare, she'll be entertained.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hamish had to go to kennels for a few days when he was about 6 months old as my parents had to attend a funeral at short notice. It was part kennels and part rescue and the owners spoilt him rotten - taking him for trips in the car and into their home in the evenings, so he absolutely adored going. He would do somersaults in the car as soon as he saw the driveway and ran in without a backward glance at us.
He's now been to 4 different kennels and they all say that he's perfectly happy - the only issue we've had is having to give more food than he usually has because he expends so much energy when he's there, and that's something he definitely doesn't complain about ;)
When we pick him up he'll wag his tail and greet us, then fall fast asleep and snore loudly in the car all the way home!
I think it helped that we took him when he was young, and also that we've found some really great kennels.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I've only left Jubel once so far for a vacation, he's gone with me on all others. Last April we went on a cruise so he couldn't come and we were gone for 2 weeks. Thankfully my neighbors who he absolutely loves offered to watch him for us and he was perfectly fine staying at there house. I got a VERY excited greeting when we came to pick him up but he was fine and had a good time.

This October we'll be going away on another cruise for 2 weeks again. Now Jubel goes to daycare one to two times a week (he didn't at the time of our last cruise) and my neighbors have gotten a second dog. We haven't worked out all the details for our upcoming trip. The wife travels often for work so the husband isn't too sure about watching all three dogs by himself if she'll be out of town. So likely for this trip Jubel may split his time between staying at my neighbors and boarding at his daycare. He'll be happy at either place, my wallet will be happier with him spending as much time as possible at my neighbors house.

If you go the daycare boarding route I suggest having your pup spend some days at the daycare leading up to your trip and at least a night or two their as well. Just to make sure they are comfortable at the daycare facility and understand you are coming back for them. Jubel has now spent one overnight stay at his daycare. We went to an all day concert and I didn't want to leave him home alone for 12 hours, neighbors who watch him occasionally where out of town that weekend, and it was too late to pick him up after the concert so he had to spend the night. He was perfectly fine and just as happy as ever to see me pick him up.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I've only been on one real vacation since I got Chester and he stayed with my father at his house. He enjoyed his "summer camp" and had no issues at all since he was used to both the person and the place. Boarding isn't an option for me since Chester is claustrophobic so he can't be kenneled.

But, if you can find a good boarding facility, I suggest that over a home dog sitter for a couple reasons. One is that if your dog likes other dogs, he will likely enjoy the extra activity, especially if he goes on a few overnights and/or attends daycare there a few times before your trip. Two is a good boarding facility will have a very secure set-up; usually double gates and privacy or 6 ft chain link for the outside etc; you don't want your dog slipping out the door past the sitter. And last, is what happens if the sitter gets sick or has an emergency? A good boarding place has sufficient staff and one person's unavailability won't matter. If you do go with a home sitter, make sure the dog still gets a chance to do a trial-run at the boarding location of your choice in case the sitter has an emergency (and provide per-authorization to board him there and arrange for payment)

The rescue I foster with boards dogs regularly in between fosters or when a foster goes on a trip, after getting pulled from the city pound and spayed/neutered, and sometimes for behavior reasons. They have 2 facilities they use and both are quite nice, one is run by the local humane society (completely separate from the society's shelter) and the other is a private boarding, training and daycare location. Aside from one lab mix who is quite a sensitive type and was stressed by his time there, all the dogs have done well for their stay and seem to enjoy the playtime and the staff and attention. And many have stayed significantly longer than the typical dog whose owner is on a vacation trip.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I board fronm my home and keep our shelter dogs in a kennel. I believe it depends on the dog what enviroment will be best for them to drive in when owners are gone. Home boarding is in someones hoiuse with up to 5 dogs, kennel is in a cage with and outdoor run can be up to 3 dogs in a cage or small play seesions in cage or no socialiing at all depends on kennel. Daycare dogs play all day up to 15 dogs in a play area et here own room when resting or eating. depends on the dog if it gets overwhlmed by the new sorroundings and all the new smells. I would definelty ty a few days in a good daycare to see how dog drives in the enviroment some dogs wil get overwhelmed and shut down "usually shy dogs or fearful ones" hyper rambutioous dogs usuallly get more exited and rambutious".. depends on dogs :)

peronnally I board mine in a home with one of my sitters because e does have sonme fear issues and will shut down if overwhelmed.

hoe this helps lot of grat info in this thread

1 - 9 of 9 Posts