Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a blue heeler.
She's a wonderful dog. She's smart, friendly and just a cuddle bug who has such a unique personality.
Problem is, she's only this way to me or my mom.

She gets along with my mother, she has never bitten her. However, some people who live in my house she's bitten numerous times. She's bitten my brother enough to draw blood and ripped one guys shirt.

The vet had told me that when she meets someone they need to prove to the dog that they're friendly. There is a whole process which has been proven with the dog to be successful. Here's the thing,
the two people in the home that she does this to don't listen to me. They start screaming at her, or swatting her. Everyone else ( pardon my mother, who does listen) occasionally listens to me, which makes her bite them less, but she still is uneasy with them.

Again, the tactic suggested DOES work, but is there an alternative I can take? People just don't listen to me and end up making her even more angry at them. I love my dog, and I'm trying everything in my power to help her. The thing is, a couple people who live here don't listen to me, and when they have guests the guests equally don't listen to me. One person literally shrieked because one of the other dogs in this house licked her. My dog ( thankfully muzzled ) tried to bite her. IS this all my fault? What can I do to train her, because obviously, the training method isn't working mainly because people refuse to listen.

The other remaining problem is that there have been instances where I have yelled at a guest for insert reason here ( there' teens in my house. Some of their guests are, obviously, going to be disrespectful.) If I'm yelling, I have to dismiss the dog whose actually ready to bite the person she could've been find with a minute ago just because I yelled at them. Is this a bad behavior? Or should I just ignore it since I can dismiss her.

Sorry for the mile long post, but I don't want anything to happen to my dog. She's my first dog that's actually mine. She's a great dog when people welcome her and she mutually welcomes them.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
What is the tactic you have been told to use? There may be a way to break it down into a smaller, less hassle cue.
Could you try training a 'friend' cue? It's very helpful, that way you would just say to your dog "friend" when they meet someone new and they know you consider them safe to be around. She sounds very insecure.
I would also refrain from yelling in front of her. Your dog is feeding on your energy and if your energy is tense and negative - she feels it and thinks you need protecting. Which can (and will) lead to a worse outcome than a growl and bark in the future

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have taught her 'touch' and 'look at me.' I also taught her ' give hugs' Which she'll go up and put her arms around their hips like a hug. Which was just a cute thing to try. But otherwise, I've tried ' they're nice!' and assuring her that the person is good, but if they don't listen to me, she will lose it.

What he vet said was to have the person walk over very slowly, hold out their hands and then pet her. It does work, bcause it's not her instant reaction to bite unless the person has already done what I said exactly not to do.

Most guests ( which we have a lot of. I don't like the guests, but that's not my choice) and two of the family members will instantly yell and push her when she runs up to them. So when it starts out as excitement and playing, they yell and push her and it's almost like all the progress I had goes away for a little while and she bites. She used to b so bad that we couldn't even walk her without her trying to bite someone who comes near me.

I've also been told by the vet that I should rehome her either for a few months or permanently because she's too attached to me. She only listens to me.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
You should teach a 'back' command. When a guest comes in the house have her back up and wait for them to approach her with their hand for her to sniff.
Don't allow her to run up to the door and be the in-your-face greeter. Have her at a distance so that the person initiates contact and has no reason to push her or yell at her.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm not trying to be rude, but it sounds like there is a whole lot of yelling going on in your house. It sounds like your dog is terrified.

You're on the right track, trying to recondition her response. However, when you say "they're nice" or "friend" you need to do something besides just say it. Give her a reward when you say the words. And practice saying the words when there isn't anyone "scary" around. So the phrase itself becomes a calming signal.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
If people are screaming at and hitting her and she's biting in response, she shouldn't be in the house. I can offer you all the advice in the world, but I don't know how to train a dog not to be terrified when it's perfectly reasonable to be terrified.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
Sounds like there are bigger issues here. But here are some harmless suggestions:

-When there are other guests in the house, if they can't follow your rules put your dog somewhere else. Somewhere safe and quiet, like in a crate or in your room.
-Give her a safe space, (again, like a crate) in common areas if putting her away would be too much of a hassle. Safe space means an area where nobody approaches her or bothers her. Does she go up to other people for attention or does she really just want to get away from them?
-Find people who are willing to help you... Have them throw treats for your dog if she likes food. No petting or any forced interaction. In fact, have strangers totally ignore your dog, except to throw treats and walk away. Let HER decide that other people are good things, if she can ever get to that point.
-Not sure why YOU are yelling at people but it might be worth not doing that, or using treats to teach her that your yelling doesn't mean she needs to get riled up.
-Even if your dog is well trained and you are able to control her, remember that management is equally if not more important. For example, if your dog is already muzzled in the situation where that person shrieked from being licked, ask yourself if your dog wanted to be in that situation to begin with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can I explain that no one HITS the dog. By swat I had mean push away. I guess that's just how we refer to it here.

I had adopted my dog from a farm where she lived in a barn, the first people who wanted to adopt her never showed up. I ended up actually getting her for free.

I do think a lot of this is started to get worse when I moved back into my mothers house. Where my fiancé and I will live until he gets stationed. My fiancé likes to play with her, throw a ball, play tug of war and she's fine. I'm relaxed and she's usually stuck with me like glue, I am able to teach her tricks without any issues, she's very willing to please. But the thing is, my mom has two teenaged children of her own and has taken in two other teens who have little experience with dogs bigger than three pounds. The dog goes to me, my fiancé, my mother and siblings just fine. She runs up to them, wags her tail. But when it comes to strangers it really depends on the person. She may either run up to them wagging her tail, or is growling. It, to me really depends on how loud the person is. The two teens who moved in are constantly talking loudly, and generally bing annoying. I dislike the noise, I dislike the guests.

The instance with her, while muzzled, running to bite one of our guests is that the dog was with me in the kitchen, I avoid the guests and she follows me. No big deal, everything is good. Other dog licked the girls face and she screamed despite me telling her probably for the fifth time not to scream. The area inbetween is very open. The dog panicked. I do understand that she is afraid of the loud people. I hate the noise too and I do try to keep her away from it

I really do appreciate the advice, I've lived with dogs my whole life, mostly shepherds, we even had a police dog at some point.

She's also always been stuck to me like glue, my fiancé and I (even my mom) all are quiet people.

I'm a really nervous person who startles easily, I also have regular seizures, could this be bothering her?

I'm going to start training her with 'friend', back up and I'm going to enforce that people either leave her alone, or at least give her a cookie.

Oh, like example. Just now one of the teens walked in. She was initially cautious as he walked in, but as the vets advice went I had him stop, ignore her until she walked over. once he stood hishand out she sniffed him and got excited. Jumping, wagging her tail and even running over to where he sat down and licked him. this isusually how the process goes, but two people that I can think of often just push her away when she gets comfortable to approach and yell ' get down!' like they would to the over friendly lab who lives here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts