Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here's the ingredients in gwen's food:

Salmon, ocean fish meal (a source of fish oil), potatoes, peas, cracked pearled, barley, millet, egg product, oatmeal, canola oil, tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, kelp, carrots, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, chondroitin sulfate, Enterococcus faecieum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

people at work are suggesting she's got a food allergy. which isn't totally out of the question. but i really have no idea what she might be allergic to in this food. (btw, it's Premium Edge)

and are there any suggestions on a good food for allergy sufferers? cause i'm really stumped...

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Honestly those look like pretty good ingredients, but a little grain/carb heavy. Do you think it could be a fish allergy? My suggestion is to find a single source protein/single source carb food. Natural Balance has a great line of allergy foods or you could try something grain-free all together.
What symptoms is she having?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she's really itchy on her chest/neck. not down her legs not at all on/in her feet. and her ears are clean, but kinda red. and the ear thing is what is making everyone at work tell me it's a food allergy.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's unlikely a food allergy. It takes two years of consistent feeding of a particular ingredient to develop an allergy. However sensitivities can arise at any time. Realistically, 4% of all dogs have food allergies. That's not very many. However your dog could be protein sensitive. Which means rich proteins, or foods high in protein may cause her to have certain symptoms.

Are her ears hot to the touch, do they stink? Is it possible she has a yeast infection? Food allergies consume the entire body. It doesn't sound like this is what is happening.
If you can try switching the food to something lean and low in protein. Ie NAtural Balance Venison, or Wellness Venison. You could even try a Duck formula.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
If it happens absolutely every time she eats dry food with lamb, than I would say lamb is a no-go ingredient for your dog.
That's exactly what happened to Rowdy's ears everytime chicken was the ingredient in his kibble. He can eat raw chicken just fine.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Maybe she's allergic to grain (oatmeal/barley). That would be my first guess...My dog Mac is allergic to grain. When he eats just a little, he breaks out in hives (on his tummy) and scratches non-stop

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I've narrowed down Donatello's allergy to "corn"... Since I've found a food that is completely "corn" free, free of corn meal, syrup, power, or anything he's improved incredibly! He was loosing his hair and had a strange rash showing up all over, but it's slowly going away and his hair is growing back in and he's not shedding as much.

Nature's Recipe: Farm Stand Selects is what I'm feeding him...

They say a lot of dogs are allergic to corn, grains, and are now developing allergies to lamb, and some are allergic to beef...

Good luck! I know how frustrating it can be to have a dog allergic to something you don't know what it is.... Luckily I narrowed it down on my own without the need of a vet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
chicken was the ingredient in his kibble. He can eat raw chicken just fine.
Isn't this strange???:eek: My dog can eat lamb raw/cooked without any problems but has allergy to dog foods that have lamb as an ingredient!!!.:confused:(i ve tried techni-cal and ONE and we had problem with both of them).

·
Registered
242 Posts
That's exactly what happened to Rowdy's ears everytime chicken was the ingredient in his kibble. He can eat raw chicken just fine.
There are many ingredients dogs can be sensitive to. If your dog can feed raw chicken fine than it is assumed another ingredient is the culprit. With that being said, many dogs can be sensitive to dry food ingredients and perfectly fine with the raw version. Without going into to great of details.....it comes down to natural digestion and assimilation vs. unnatural digestion and assimilation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts