Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for opinions about what training class I should take with my puppy. Marley is a 10 month old black lab mix. She is VERY ENERGETIC. So far we have done a Puppy class and a Basic Obedience class. She did very well in the classes and learns quickly with positive reinforcement (treats). She still jumps on people quite a bit (it is getting better) and she still pulls on a leash (I need to use a training collar when we walk). I have noticed that since we finished the training class that Marley isn't listening as well. I do some training every day with her to reinforce what we learned in class. I especially noticed that she isn't listening when she is at the dog park. She doesn't "come" as good as she used to. I try to practice "come" at the dog park, using treats, and she's great at that. When I have a hard time is when she is distracted. Anyways, what I am wondering is what class would you recommend that I take next with Marley. My choices are Canine Good Citizen and Beginning Agility. I'm not looking for a dog with a perfect heel or a show dog. I would just like a well-behaved dog that listens to me. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Go for both the CGC and Agility. The distraction problems you mentioned are advanced obedience training...how to ignore distractions and still respond to commands. That takes lots of training/practice. If you're going to do Agility you, might want to supplement that with the next level of Obedience...you're going to need the distraction control.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I agree with Tooneydogs on this. Rio took puppy class and basic obedience before we started agility. (As did Savannah.) When you start out in agility you begin on leash. The skills that you worked on in basic obedience will be used in agility. Come, sit, stay, look, plus others that you will be taught in class. It is a lot of fun and great for a high energy dog that needs a job. Come join us at the agility class thread on this forum. There are forum members at all levels of skill in agility who share what they have accomplished.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll sign up for agility next. The trainer that I have been taking classes with doesn't offer the next level of obedience at a location near me. I could switch to another trainer for an advanced obedience class but I really like the style of this trainer.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I would definitely do a little bit more of Obedience Classes (including CGC) before going to Agility. I did the CGC and found it very helpful -- especially practicing outside of class.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts