Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beethoven has been doing this for a day or two - not sure if there's something wrong with him, so I figured I'd ask you guys.

Beethoven hasn't been eating his meals. He'll eat any kind of treat you put in front of him, and he's more than eager to eat anything off the floor. But, when I put his dish in front of him, he won't eat. I've changed the dish, which has helped before, but not this time. It worries me. I figure, maybe there's just something he needs in the food to give it a more appealing taste.

I feed Innova Puppy. What can I add for my almost six month old Shih Tzu for him to enjoy eating again? What do I do if adding new things won't help?

·
Registered
643 Posts
My pups personally love cheesy scrambled eggs. But, I've never had a problem with any of them not eating. How's Beethoven feeling? Is he still acting normal? If you notice any changes in him, I'd say take him to the vet. As long as he's still drinking and eating something, I'd think he'd be fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My pups personally love cheesy scrambled eggs. But, I've never had a problem with any of them not eating. How's Beethoven feeling? Is he still acting normal? If you notice any changes in him, I'd say take him to the vet. As long as he's still drinking and eating something, I'd think he'd be fine.
He's acting his usual, which is why I haven't called the vet. He's been going to the bathroom fine, as well. I don't think I should be worried, I just want to make sure there's something I can do before he starts getting weak from not eating enough.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 2 year old husky is doing the same thing, she'll eat anything else and everything is normal but she won't touch her Natural Balance. I got samples of Innova, EVO, Prairie, Wellness CORE, Wellness chicken and Instinct. The only ones she would eat were the EVO and Instinct. Maybe try changing her food?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
My Donatello has gone through spells where he would eat fine, not eat for days, eat fine for a couple more weeks, not eat for days...

While I was on my trip to Arkansas, my grandmother suggested I try putting some soft dog food in with his hard food. Now mind you, he'll eat his hard dog food, but if it's his last resort, he's kind of spoiled. ; )

Well anyway, I tried it. He ate the whole bowl of food! : o I was so shocked, and so was he, he laid down and took a two hour nap! lol!

So when I got home I went out and bought some soft dog food, he's on Nature's Recipe, and I got some corresponding soft dog food. I got a couple cans for Skin and Coat and another couple that are Easily Digestible. They were a couple dollars a piece, so I stocked up on Cesars. He gets half a container a day, mashed up in his hard food, and for three weeks he's not skipped a meal... He gets a different flavor every other day, and every other week or so I put him on the more expensive cans.

We went through a slight adjustment of soft poopie, lol, but now's he's doing just fine on it... He's gained even more weight, and he sleeps a lot better at night.

That's just a suggestion...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mojo does this sometimes too. It's funny though because he still likes his food and he'll eat, just not out of his bowl! If I put it in a kong or train him using a piece of kibble for his reward he'll happily eat the entire meal. Or if we sprinkle kibble on the floor he'll happily pick it up and eat it. I'm confident he won't starve himself and he's otherwise normal so I don't stress over it.

I also feed Innova (EVO) but he's done this with other foods too. I've decided to rotate foods every other bag though so if it is about boredom he'll have something new and exciting again soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts