Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little lady, St. Vincent, LOVES attention and, it's borderline obsessive I think. She's a ShiChi and is just over 11 weeks old.
Some problems:
Vinnie will NOT eat by herself, if I leave the kitchen for any reason she'll follow after me.
Vinnie will also 'fake pee' to get attention. She'll go squat over her pad and look at me to see if I noticed. I don't know if I should ignore or not, seeing as she is technically doing what she's supposed to..
She will also get into trouble to get attention as well. Which is terribly confusing for me because I don't know how to reinforce 'NO' or 'LEAVE IT' when she's chewing on something JUST to get attention.
She sometimes will try to get my attention by putting her paws up on the couch (they're too high for her to jump onto) and if I ignore her, she'll bark or go get into trouble!

Now, this lady is NOT actually lacking in attention! When she's out of her crate, she plays with the cats, her toys and me. It's just when I need a second to do something that she seems to be all 'HEY HEY LOOK! LOOK YOU!'.
Maybe it's her age?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Yes, it's the age. Puppies have a survival need to stay close to the pack. As they grow, they learn the being alone is OK. Feeding time and potty time are both vulnerable positions/times for a puppy. Again, they gain confidence with time.

You can redirect bad behavior without words.....just exchange something she shouldn't have with something she can and then praise for chewing on the right thing. Same for the couch. Would you like her to lay quietly at your side? Then put her into position and praise. The more you praise the good stuff, the more she will offer those behaviors (because that's what gets your attention).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts