Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time dog owner...My lab is almost 6 months old now and is a great loving little guy. I've had him since 8 weeks and he does a ton of tricks and is very very food motivated.

Some issues I could use advice on.

*Dog flies down the stairs like a banshee as soon as my wife or I start going down...Usually plowing into our legs or flying sliding into the wall if he goes around us. I think he is just trying to ensure he gets to get outside (Or try and sneak outside when we leave with us)

* Dog is very mouthy....He doesn't bite or nip anymore, but now he just softly mouthes our hands playfully. Especially when we are giving him belly rubs etc. Should we be strict on correcting this? It is more annoying than anything...Not painful or anything.

*Lastly - Leash pulling... I have tried the lead that goes over his mouth, he will lay on his side on slide along the grass, Not walk...And he has pulled so hard/frequently his lip has bled. So I went and dropped another wad of cash on the lead that he wears around his chest. It constricts a little when he pulls. He is fine with this one until we pass another dog or human...He is VERY friendly but when he pulls to get to the human/dog He freaks out and sounds like a rabid dog of doom. I think he is just freaking out because he wants to get to the human but the pulling is causing discomfort. He won't listen to sit during these excited times so I basically hold him stationary till they pass.

·
Registered
211 Posts
#1 - If he pushes by you, turn around and go back upstairs. He'll get the point that pushing by you won't be rewarded while following you will be. If his recall and stay is good, tell him to sit and stay at the top of the stairs. Then call him when you're at the bottom and it's OK for him to come down.

#2 - That he's soft mouthing is actually good, it means he's developing good doggy social skills. Poorly trained dogs will tend to still nip. However, excessive mouthing still isn't good. Teach him to not do this by cutting off play when he does this and then ignoring him, maybe even leaving the room and not letting him follow you. He'll figure out that such play isn't going to be rewarded and he'll avoid doing it (most of the time anyway).

#3 - He's probably acting this way because he wants to socialize with others and he gets overexcited. When he starts acting up when you encounter another person or dog, turn and go the opposite direction, taking him away from the stimulus (aka reward for bad behavior). When he's calm during an encounter, reward him with a tasty treat. You can also work on keeping yourself calm during these times since this will help keep the dog less reactive.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I agree with bgmacaw, here are some additional ideas:
1. Labs are tough dogs and they think it is great fun to run into people. However, a 70 lb Lab can easily tackle a 250 Lb man.Another thing to do is to teach a 'perfect' sit, and have him sit before he rushes downstairs, then sit in the middle of the stairs, then sit at the bottom.
2. The soft mouth is up to you. I play very roughly with my dog and he is allowed to soft mouth me. However, he may not open his mouth to anyone else. If you want him to stop soft-mouthing, then take Bite Inhibition to the next level, from teeth don't touch skin, to mouth doesn't touch skin. You can read about it in the Sticky: The Bite Stops Here in the new owner section.
3. For walk, you might looking to the various harnesses, while you look over "Loose Leash" and "Silky Leash" training on Google and YouTube.
4. Come (Just a little extra) - Labs are great dogs for walking off-leash. Even if you never intend to walk anywhere off leash, it's a good idea to teach off-leash walking, and a solid Come, just in case he escapes (he will!). A final tip - if your Lab escapes, don't run after him - you can catch him and he loves to be chased! Instead, call his name and immediately run in the opposite direction when he looks... he will chase you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha thanks for the tips...I do the run away thing all the time if he is being a turd and not coming when off leash. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Your stairs and a lab bolting past is scary. How much time have you got to train him just on stairs manners?
If time is limited I would work him on lead but shape him to walking down with a loose lead. Start out by luring him but drop the lure as quickly as possible and then only reward when the lead is loose.
I would stop the soft mouthing. He is still a pup but if he soft mouths a kid when he is older and the kid panics, skin will tear.
For a dog that pulls uncontrollably I would recommend the Gentle Walker harness. I have seen Great Danes subdued by this harness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts