Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dog named Duke that showed up at my house 3 years ago. I posted on another forum so I'm curious to see what you all think he is. He is about 25" tall and we are thinking he's probably 90-100 lbs. He has large webbed feet, and a long tail that curls. He has a very large head and one ear that thinks it wants to prick up. He LOVES to swim and will swim for hours non stop. He also loves running and will literally run until he drops lol. He is very friendly loves kids and other dogs. Very prey driven. Smart but has selective hearing lol and is very stubborn. I have lots of pictures. I want to hear what some of you think then I will tell you what I think and what the other forum thought.

Full body pictures:

*more*

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
funny ear:

Big feet:

with my aussie for size comparison:

laying on my sister, he tries so hard to be a lap dog:

*just 1 more*

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Yup, I definitely see German Shepherd and Lab. Very handsome boy, Duke is. :)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha yes winter did not do him well. Now that its warmed up he's been out running around and swimming again. he's already lost a little I think. I can't stand overweight dogs and I'm away at college this year so I can't keep them in shape. my aussie was looking slightly heavier too this winter and I told my family I will not tolerate having a fat dog. the fifth picture of him sitting was taken last fall and you can see how much smaller he is usually.

·
Registered
487 Posts
He's very handsome. And that tail is huge!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so the other forum mostly agreed that he has lab or golden in him. Most of them thought his other half was either malamute or husky. A few thought GSD. And a couple people thought he was a collie/GSD mix. Many people thought def. no GSD because of the white tip on his tail, white on his feet, chest and faint white markings on his face. They also said he would likely have a black mask if he had GSD.

I have always been about positive that he has lab in him. He's got the lab head, feet, and biuld. Lab personality and we can't keep him out of the lake lol. I dont really see golden in him at all, around my area goldens are smaller and have longer noses than labs, plus his coat isnt golden length. As for the other half I had thought GSD because of his color and that ear that wants to stick up. Beyond that I dont see any other GSD traits. I had recently started thing Mal, his winter coat is very thick annd just feels and looks like a mal coat. And that tail of his that curls over. Also his face has light white markings resembling a mal face marking. He also just loves to run and run and run lol very much like a husky or mal. I had been thinking mal over husky because of his size.

Now last night I did a search on google images first typed mal/lab mix and nothing resembled him then typed GSD/lab mix still not at all like him so I tried lab/husky mix... and I found him lol. This dog it says has a purebred labrador retriever mother and siberian husky father. He looks very much like Duke to me except he's a little lighter in color and has a blue eye.

heres a pic from the website:

and here is the site with more pictures (he is Hunter):

http://www.saveadog.org/adopted/april_2004.asp

So what do you think?

He's very handsome. And that tail is huge!
haha isn't it gorgeous? Its a bit of a problem in the house though lol. My sister measured it last weekend and says it was close to 18" long :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts