Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Caesar, our first rescue dog, has been with us for just short of a year now. We have done the DNA test and are waiting to send it off for testing.

In the meantime, we've had speculations such as white Swiss shepherd, husky, Carolina dog to make a few.

He's a pretty stubborn dog.. honestly he acts like a husky. Won't train unless he wants to, but when he does- he can learn a new trick within 10 minutes.

You can see various pictures of him in the following link:
https://imgur.com/gallery/g3lgH

Please give me your opinions!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'd say purebred German Shepherd Dog or White Shepherd. Possibly a dash of Sibe, but I'm betting not. I doubt Berger Blanc Suisse.

PS: Please don't leave that fursaver collar on him all the time. They are called choke chains for a reason. A former neighbor of mine had a dog hang herself when her collar got caught on the fence.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the input! I forgot to mention that his rail curls up all the way in a neutral environment. While walking, running, and training it's fully curled. The photos in the original post had his tail lowered because he was worn out from running.

These are some photos with other rotties, gods, and border collies to compare: https://imgur.com/gallery/E5thV

Btw it's really nice to meet you both!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To LeoRose: Thanks for the advice! Yes, I've recently heard horror stories about similar occurrences. I only put it on when I'm home, he's usually not wearing it when alone without supervision. I'll be sure to keep it in mind! :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Why do you put it on when you're at home? Why not put a real collar on him or leave the collar off when he's inside all together? Choke chains are pretty awful, but it looks like you also use a shock collar? :-(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's aggressive. He used to lunge, bite, and pull on the leash. Positive reinforcement didn't and still doesn't work for him, so we resorted to slip chains and ecollars to keep him from being forcibly removed and euthanized. And honestly, he's made leaps and bounds of improvement already- far more confident, calm, and focused. I apologize if you are offended by my choice of method, but it certainly has nothing to do with the original thread. As you can see, he is healthy and very happy instead of being crazed and frantic all the time, so I don't know why the sad face!

·
Registered
523 Posts
*sigh* Because that's just inhibiting him and not going to make it better in the long run. I hate seeing such things. I had that dog that lunged and barked and pulled on the leash too. Yet I figured it out without resorting to force. Anyway...ignore seems to be the best answer as I have no interest in engaging with someone who is (a) aggressive and (b) treats their dog like that.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
And I was going to stay out of the collar debate, but positive reinforcement for reactivity DOES work. It just takes longer.
And it STICKS. I've seen a lot of dogs get worse over time when they're shut down by force. Positive reinforcement for reactivity helps fix the WHY of it not just the reaction. Sure, you can mask symptoms, but that usually comes back to bite you in the butt (sometimes literally!). It took some months but my dog can now walk past other dogs without lunging or barking. But no, it wasn't an instant "Dog lunges, I shock them, they shut down" sort of thing. Too many people want instant fixes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man your GSD is cute! I think it gives them character. Thanks for the input to both of you.

@crysania, I don't understand how you can call me aggressive when you don't even bother to understand my background and reasons before criticising me. Isn't that rather hypocritical? I live in a multi racial company, in a multi racial flat, where Muslims and Chinese take lifts together. And trust me, they will not fail to complain about dogs who are on anything less than perfect behaviour, especially since he's bigger than average. At this point, since he wasn't from a registered shelter, he will be taken and euthanised after three complaints. He's already had two. And like I said, he is so much more confident now. Letting people pet him, playing with other dogs, etc. We barely even shock him after the first two times. I'm in no way defending animal cruelty, but this method has worked for me. Please try to open your mind to different techniques. Every dog is different. So "treats their dog like that" might as well be a compliment since all I'm doing is for his sake only. He gets praise and food rewards throughout his training. There is more positive reinforcement than negative. "Dog lunges, I shock them, dog learns" And "dog behaves, I reward and praise, dog learns". Man I just love it when people give you an unasked for lecture without even trying to understand the other party.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts