Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dougan is from the rescue I volunteer with, Four Paws Rescue. We pulled him from Idaho Falls Animal Shelter when nobody showed any interest in him.

We cannot figure out what breeds Dougan is. The director first thought Border Collie/Lab, but now she's thinking Basenji mix because of his size. I honestly can't see any Basenji. The shelter was thinking Chow mix, but we can't see that either. His face is telling me a breed, but I can't figure out what breed. I've seen that face on dog before.

Dougan only weighs like 25 pounds at 2 years old, his tail curls over his back and he has double dew claws on both hind legs. He is super sweet and inquisitive. He is quiet and loves to play ball. He's GREAT with other dogs, kids, and cats. He has a wonderful temperament.

We really don't know what he is, other than a very CUTE dog! So any help figuring out his breeds would be greatly appreciated. We want to give potential adopters at least an idea of what breeds he may be.

Thanks!!

Dougan 2.jpg Dougan 1.jpg

·
Registered
943 Posts
He almost looks like he could be a Shiba Inu mix to me. My Shiba is 20lbs and he's small for his breed - they range up to 30-40lbs sometimes. I see a little Shiba in the body and in the face, but the ears look like they come from a lab or something?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks like my Sophie :D

More here: https://picasaweb.google.com/117234205563605117760/20120401#

BTW, prevailing thought on my dog is Shina Inu/Sheltie mix. She's now about 35-40lbs. Also had double dew claws in the back (since removed). Originally came from Hillsboro, Ohio area and were rescued by an organization in the Twin Cities area. Exactly the same personality as you describe. SUPER sweet.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Is he a feist?
Having had quite a few feists growing up, I can strongly disagree with this, as they're tiny little things. They're more like Minpins or Rat Terriers than bit fluffies like this guy.

Butttttttt. what's a breed with a double dew claw?
Thhhheeeeee Beauceron! Possible he's a jammed up mix of a Beauceron?

Either way, he is soooooo handsome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like my Sophie :D

More here: https://picasaweb.google.com/117234205563605117760/20120401#

BTW, prevailing thought on my dog is Shina Inu/Sheltie mix. She's now about 35-40lbs. Also had double dew claws in the back (since removed). Originally came from Hillsboro, Ohio area and were rescued by an organization in the Twin Cities area. Exactly the same personality as you describe. SUPER sweet.

WOW! What a resemblance! Sophie is super cute! Dougan should be full grown at 2 years old. He's just a really little dog. Maybe that's what he is, a Sheltie/Shiba Inu mix. I'll have to print your picture off and show it to the director on Saturday.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I don't see any sheltie at all in him, but I definitely do see a Shiba inu mix resemblance. Also, any dog can have double dew claws, I know many different breeds that have had them. It looks to me your dog is mixed with something that definitely has floppy ears, because Shiba's do not have floppy ears, the shape of the head itself is lab-ish to me, but his overall looks and body structure looks Shiba..

here's a side profile pic of mine for comparison. http://www.dogforums.com/members/packmomma-albums-cash-thumper-picture30748-photo-11.html

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think the floppy ears and narrower head is what is the sheltie part in mine. I think Dougan's head is something different... not sure what. Corgi maybe?

Sidebar @PackMomma: Many moons ago I lived in Village-on-the-Lake in Sherwood Park. Went to Westboro elementry and FR Hawthorne Jr. High. :) That was back in 1983-88 though...

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
The color and head shape look shiba to me, too! There's something else in there, though, with floppy ears and probably a shorter coat. I think lab is a good guess.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't see any sheltie at all in him, but I definitely do see a Shiba inu mix resemblance. Also, any dog can have double dew claws, I know many different breeds that have had them. It looks to me your dog is mixed with something that definitely has floppy ears, because Shiba's do not have floppy ears, the shape of the head itself is lab-ish to me, but his overall looks and body structure looks Shiba..

here's a side profile pic of mine for comparison. http://www.dogforums.com/members/packmomma-albums-cash-thumper-picture30748-photo-11.html
I see shiba inu too. Mine is 28 pounds and has a similar body.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I'm thinking Chow/Lab mix.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
25 pounds is too small for chow/lab, though. Would be the right size for a shiba mix!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
My guess would be Shiba mix. :)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
25 pounds is too small for chow/lab, though. Would be the right size for a shiba mix!
I didn't see the weight part, you're right. I suppose he could have some Shiba in him. I see it in his face.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think the floppy ears and narrower head is what is the sheltie part in mine. I think Dougan's head is something different... not sure what. Corgi maybe?

Sidebar @PackMomma: Many moons ago I lived in Village-on-the-Lake in Sherwood Park. Went to Westboro elementry and FR Hawthorne Jr. High. :) That was back in 1983-88 though...
Haha that's neat! I actually just moved to Sherwood Park a year ago, lived in Fort Sask, Edmonton and originally from Red Deer area but I live in a brand new area of the park Called Summerwood, right off the Yellowhead. I know where Village On The Lake is, though :) And yeah.. that was many moons ago, I was born in 87 lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts