Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted a dog named pitter from the local shelter, he is about 1 year old but I am not sure what breeds he is. A friend of mine said he looks very similar to a black basenji but thinks there might be more in there.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Looks very similar to a karelian bear dog, but while its not impossible, its just no likely.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Those ears! I can see the basenji, but the black . . . hmmm . . . lots of things pop black that you think wouldn't. Sometimes Golden Retriever mixes will end up black for reasons I understand but couldn't possibly explain. I dunno.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Oh wow that's a tough call, I could definitely see Basenji, but there's definitely something else in there too. Basenji X Border collie could be a pretty close bet though

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could always try one of those cheek swabs and get his DNA tested if I'm ever curious enough to spend some extra money. Either way he's such a great dog and bonded very very fast. He's sometimes stubborn when trying to teach him to stay or lay down but I imagine that could also be from him being about 1 year with no prior training at all.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I see Karelian Bear Dog in him. But he looks too small to be a Karelian, but maybe he's a mix of one. Nice dog you have.
Glad Im not the only one that saw it, and that its not just the cold talking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts