Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We adopted our puppy Tucker from a shelter this spring. He is now almost 8 months old. We were told they had seen the mother and thought he was likely a lab/GSD cross. Based on his size (and his curly tail) - his mature weight will be around 40-45 lbs - we think there must be a smaller breed in there somewhere.

A few characteristics:
- he is a very "sniffy" dog..spends a lot of our walks with his nose down. I've always felt he has plenty of prey drive, but he gets along with our cat fine. He respects commands very well, so I'm not sure whether that shows that he doesn't have as high of a drive as I thought..or he just listens really well.
- he was done teething awhile ago, but it looks like chewing things is here to stay. He likes having something in his mouth, even just to hold it, most of the time!
- he has a curly tail mainly when he is standing still or walking. When he trots his tail kind of points straight out and up behind him..occasionally he holds it down.
- He quite often does the Border Collie "down", where they flop to the ground when they are herding something(with intense eye contact).
- His winter coat is coming in, and he is getting a lot of long black guard hairs sprinkled over his back. I'm not sure if eventually that'll turn into a dark blanket, or if he'll just have black hairs here and there.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
What a cutie!

I'd say mostly GSD/lab and I'd believe some collie in there as well...something about the tail and the ears.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Cute x adorable. I'm not seeing any one breed really standing out. He's likely from several generations of mixed breed dogs. His coloring reminds me of a Black Mouth Cur, but nothing else about him does.

·
Super Moderator
11,794 Posts
Tucker appears to be an All American Mutt.

I don't mean that to be derogatory. I think he looks like what dogs should look like if we left them to their own devices - probably not too different from a feral dog population.

This is my daughter's All-American Mutt, Dante - one of the coolest dogs I've ever known. He has survived lymphoma, is being actively treated for epilepsy and spends his weekends hiking and climbing in the Adirondacks with my daughter's ex.

We have speculated German Shepherd and Chow, but it's just a guess. I think there are a lot more than two breeds in there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha ha, yeah you guys are probably right! A mutt descended from a long line of mutts! That was one reason I decided not to get a DNA test done (the curiosity kills me sometimes!). I figured there was a good chance it would say Lab and GSD and then maybe "unknown" or a general group like herding or something, because there would just be too many watered down genetics in there.

Mostly I don't mind at all having a random mixed breed...except when I notice this or that characteristic and the desire to KNOW starts to itch!

And yep..he is definitely cute and adorable!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Looks like a Heinz 57 to me. Some GSD, some lab, maybe some husky. Probably a multi-generation mixed breed mutt dog! His ears remind me of my own dog's!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts