Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im new here :)
Well, my question is, what breed would you advise to me? I am a single working woman living in an apartment. I know the instant answer would be yorkshire or chihuaua or something like that but a i dont really like such small dogs. Id prefer my dog to weigh more than 5kg (i think that would be more than 10lb). Ideally, it would be between 5-15 kilo, even 20kg (44lb) would be acceptable, but not more.
The dog would be alone while Im at work, but I am willing to walk him at least 1hour a day, and even more on most days. Also basic training is a must, maybe some sport once a week.
Id like a breed that is a friendly companion and ok with kids and other dogs but also one that would be able to protect me in case it is needed.
I know these are complicated conditions but I hope you will be able to give me some tips :)
Have a nice day

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi, visit your local rescues or shelters, you may find the dog of your dreams and it may be a complete mutt. :)

Sounds like you might want to look into an older dog though. Not sure about your working situations but how often the dog can be let out to potty is a big consideration. Puppies need to be let out more.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Lots of breeds would probably fit your needs. I have a shelter mutt (BC and pointer?) who fits your description: 40lbs, alone most days, walked ~1hr/day, highly trainable, loves everyone but knows how to be protective, and just incredibly fun. We compete in two dog sports and dabble in a third. You might consider a small lab, an Aussie, cattle dog, or other medium-sized dog.

I'll second Noz: check out local rescues/shelters. Do you know what you want in terms of grooming needs? Short hair or long? Shedding? What about temperament: independent? clingy? people-focused or environment-focused? What is your previous experience with dog ownership?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you.
My previous experience with dogs- my parents own an english cocker spaniel and I walk her 2x a day everytime Im at home. I also take care of deworming, vaccination, grooming, etc. I love her temperament, but im afraid cocker would suffer in an apartment, as she has lots of energy.
Shedding- Im used to cocker shedding and that is acceptable, although the less shedding the better, obviously :)
Hair should be short or medium, preferably straight.
Character of my dog should be friendly and kind, human-oriented, but the dog should not suffer when being alone for the time Im at work. Of course, paying attention to him before and after work comes naturally :)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Well, cocker spaniels aren't exactly my idea of high-energy dogs, so if you want something with lower energy than that, I'm sort of out of ideas.

But I will say this: Lots of people think that high-energy dogs need lots of room and can't live in an apartment. The truth is that most people don't bother to exercise their dogs away from home (walks, sports, etc.), and an understimulated high-energy dog in a small space can pose a problem. When properly exercised (both mentally and physically), though, most "high-energy" dogs will do fine in a small space.

If you are being honest with yourself about 1hr of exercise a day, plus training and possibly a sport, I see no reason why a cocker or other breed with a similar energy level couldn't work with your lifestyle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, cocker can stand even short walks, but I can tell you- unless my dog gets one hour of hard run on the meadow or forest (which is minimum, the more the better), plus her normal other 2 walks on the leash, each for 15-20 mins, she is not very happy. She is quiet indoors, doesnt bark, doest damage things, but definitely she misses running. But Im afraid i will not be able to provide daily hour of running without leash in the forest for my dog. I know high energy breeds can live indoors and can get used to couch potato lifestyle, but I want my dog to be happy.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I notice you're using metric weights. What country are you in? Do they have shelters and rescues?

The thing is, if you have very specific requirements for a dog, you're best off getting an adult dog that's being fostered, so the foster can tell you what the dog is like and what its needs are. (With puppies, there's no telling what they'll be like until they're adults, at around 2-3 years.)

For example, Kabota, my dog, is 45 lbs, doesn't shed more than a cocker, loves people and doesn't need more than an hour of walking a day. I can get away with 30 minutes a day if the weather is particularly bad if I step up training and play time. He's a beagle mix of some sort. Maybe border collie? Lab or golden retriever or husky in there somewhere? I don't know.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Character of my dog should be friendly and kind, human-oriented, but the dog should not suffer when being alone for the time Im at work. Of course, paying attention to him before and after work comes naturally
Much more attention should be paid to the dog not any particular breed.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
When I was asking about apartment dogs a few years ago, people suggested a rescue Greyhound! Sounds crazy, right? Wrong! They're huge couch potatoes--the fact that they need to run a lot is a falsehood. They enjoy it, but a couple good walks a day and maybe a weekly run at the dog park will do them just fine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
When I was asking about apartment dogs a few years ago, people suggested a rescue Greyhound! Sounds crazy, right? Wrong! They're huge couch potatoes--the fact that they need to run a lot is a falsehood. They enjoy it, but a couple good walks a day and maybe a weekly run at the dog park will do them just fine.
I agree, I know lots of people who own rescue greyhounds, I always feel so jelouse when I'm out with my crazy JR and their dogs are so sensible and never cause any problems :S

1 - 11 of 11 Posts