Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a stray from the local animal shelter, they had him listed as a beagle mix, but I personally don't see beagle, I'm just curious if anyone might have some ideas.

We're thinking pointer from the markings, but he is way smaller (currently under 20 lbs at approx. 1 year) but I'm not sure what else.

What are you Bongo?!

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
I am going to guess a Beagle/Doxie/? mix. :) He is adorable! I also like his name!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think that's crazy at all, we were guessing maybe pug or boston from the short nose. He acts a bit like a pug too, looking for constant approval, he's a great dog! Thanks for the opinions!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Bird dog and Beagle? English Setter/dachshund?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I see beagle/Boston terrier.

Ticking like that can come from hounds, though it isn't as common. But it would make more sense to me than a pointer due to size.

Example of a purebred beagle with heavy ticking.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Is anyone else seeing a pointer with dwarfism?

Seriously, maybe it's just the angle of the pictures, but it looks like his legs are very short in comparison to his body, and his front legs have that east/west thing going on. Pointers are one of the breeds that aren't bred for dwarfism, but do throw it occasionally.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I dunno. Some beagles have pretty short legs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are 13in and I think 15in beagles, I think he's blue tick(which is a type of hound/pointer) and beagle.
But thats my two cents for what its worth...

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I'm also going to put my vote in for beagle mix. Some sort of pointer or setter mixed in?

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I have a Peagle (Pekinese and Beagle) mix, she looks very similar in size, markings not so much so im thinking Beagle mix
That's a really good guess. I do think the dog in the OP is a dwarf and has some sort of breed with dwarfism in it. The telltale sign isn't just the short legs, they're also bowed out and very east/west in the front too. My first thought was that the dog's body shape looks like a shih tzu, but I think peke could be a good guess. I'm thinking maybe two gens out (like a beagle x shih tzu mix or peke mix) because of the less brachy head type and a few other things.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts