Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,my jack russell passed away a few months ago and i want to get a new puppy next summer but I'm not sure what breed i should get.Im looking for medium or large sized dog that doesn't need more that an hour and a half of exercise a day.and one that doesn't shed more than a jrt i don't mind a little fur but i don't want dog hair everywhere.I don't want a terrier breed,poodle,or a yappy breed.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Hey, sorry to hear about your Jack Russell Jenny, what was his or her name? Got any pics? (I don't know how to post them here sorry lol) I just posted this link in another place on this site but I thought since nobody has replied here you could use it as well:

http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do
That website is a lovely place for you to start researching :)

The thing to keep in mind about shedding is that just because a dog has short fur doesn't mean it sheds less. For instance, Labs, even with their shorter fur, shed like crazy, and they have tiny little hairs that stick in clothes and are harder to remove.

Do you want a dog who just naturally doesn't shed as much, or are you willing to keep up a grooming regime in order to minimize the hair in your house?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That website is a lovely place for you to start researching :)

The thing to keep in mind about shedding is that just because a dog has short fur doesn't mean it sheds less. For instance, Labs, even with their shorter fur, shed like crazy, and they have tiny little hairs that stick in clothes and are harder to remove.

Do you want a dog who just naturally doesn't shed as much, or are you willing to keep up a grooming regime in order to minimize the hair in your house?
I was researching dogs that don't shed much but there isn't any i really liked.so im willing to groom it.

·
Banned
693 Posts
I was researching dogs that don't shed much but there isn't any i really liked.so im willing to groom it.
It actually sounds like your options are wide open. If you're willing to groom and spend an hour and a half exercising your dog a day, there are lots of breeds that will work for you.

Are there any other qualifications you have? Do you want a dog that fetches, or maybe likes to go swimming? Do you want a dog that acts sort of like a guard dog and warns you when people are near your home? Does your dog need to get along with other animals or children? Do you want a dog that's very trainable or just average?

Hehe, I'm actually excited because there are so many options available to you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It actually sounds like your options are wide open. If you're willing to groom and spend an hour and a half exercising your dog a day, there are lots of breeds that will work for you.

Are there any other qualifications you have? Do you want a dog that fetches, or maybe likes to go swimming? Do you want a dog that acts sort of like a guard dog and warns you when people are near your home? Does your dog need to get along with other animals or children? Do you want a dog that's very trainable or just average?

Hehe, I'm actually excited because there are so many options available to you!
Well i'm looking for a dog that likes swimming or a least likes being on a boat and one thats very trainable.i really like the spitz breeds,german shepherds,labs,and aussies.do you think any of those would be good for me.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Well i'm looking for a dog that likes swimming or a least likes being on a boat and one thats very trainable.i really like the spitz breeds,german shepherds,labs,and aussies.do you think any of those would be good for me.
You could make any of those breeds work. Labs especially would be great on a boat and are generally good swimmers. Their coats can be kept manageable with minimal grooming (just brushing to remove loose hairs every once in a while). Labs are often noted as being happy and puppy-like for most of their lives. Drawbacks to Labs are that they're very mouthy when they're puppies and they need to be trained out of that. They're really food motivated, most of the time, so training them is easier than some of the other breeds.

GSDs aren't necessarily going to be so water friendly, though both of mine like water. You'll need to do more actual brushing with their longer double coats. They're going to mature more than a Lab would, generally, and become a middle aged to older calmer dog. Drawbacks to GSDs are that they're herding dogs, so may display herding instincts like chasing/nipping at other animals and children. They also tend towards having a high prey drive towards small fuzzy animals. They're very smart, however.

Aussies - there are so Aussie experts on this forum who can help you out, but from what I understand of the breed, they're very energetic and intense. Frankly, an hour of exercise a day may not be enough for some Aussies.

I know absolutely nothing about Spitz breeds and look forward to hearing from someone who does.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. You could get a Lab who hates water, or a GSD who doesn't feel like herding. Every dog is an individual and may not conform to any of the breed traits mentioned. Maybe you should get in contact with a few reputable breeders in your area, or even begin looking on petfinder for a local shelter dog that desperately needs a home?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could make any of those breeds work. Labs especially would be great on a boat and are generally good swimmers. Their coats can be kept manageable with minimal grooming (just brushing to remove loose hairs every once in a while). Labs are often noted as being happy and puppy-like for most of their lives. Drawbacks to Labs are that they're very mouthy when they're puppies and they need to be trained out of that. They're really food motivated, most of the time, so training them is easier than some of the other breeds.

GSDs aren't necessarily going to be so water friendly, though both of mine like water. You'll need to do more actual brushing with their longer double coats. They're going to mature more than a Lab would, generally, and become a middle aged to older calmer dog. Drawbacks to GSDs are that they're herding dogs, so may display herding instincts like chasing/nipping at other animals and children. They also tend towards having a high prey drive towards small fuzzy animals. They're very smart, however.

Aussies - there are so Aussie experts on this forum who can help you out, but from what I understand of the breed, they're very energetic and intense. Frankly, an hour of exercise a day may not be enough for some Aussies.

I know absolutely nothing about Spitz breeds and look forward to hearing from someone who does.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. You could get a Lab who hates water, or a GSD who doesn't feel like herding. Every dog is an individual and may not conform to any of the breed traits mentioned. Maybe you should get in contact with a few reputable breeders in your area, or even begin looking on petfinder for a local shelter dog that desperately needs a home?
ok thanks ill do more research on labs

·
Registered
348 Posts
Labs especially would be great on a boat and are generally good swimmers. Their coats can be kept manageable with minimal grooming (just brushing to remove loose hairs every once in a while).
If you don't like shedding, do NOT get a Lab. Labs are huge shedders. Expect to vacuum 2-3 times a week in order to keep your floors looking relatively clean. I also find their hair (and the hair from other shedding short haired breeds) to be more of a pain than longer haired dogs that shed in bigger clumps because of how prickly the hairs are. They seem to stick in my skin sometimes. This website elaborates more on the shedding/grooming requirements of labs ( http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/grooming.html ) especially with the comic at the top. "Well, it was a nice rest while it lasted... the 14 or 15 seconds a year when a Lab doesn't shed!"

As far as breed selector quizzes, the only one I've ever found to give me accurate results is this one: http://www.k9country.com/perl//dogBreed.pl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts