Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found this girl on another island, we might adopt her if everything goes right:) She is labeled as a Catahoula Leopard Dog mix, I think she looks like she could have some in her. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anything merled with shorthair and a slightly houndish aperance is a catahoula mix *Sarcasm*
Yeah I know thats what everyone jumps to, which is why Im asking for opinions from people who know more then me about Catahoula Leopard Dogs. I compared her picture with the ones on a Catahoula Leopard rescue site and she looks like them IMO. This is just for fun anyway, we really dont care if she is one or not. In fact my Dad would probably prefer to call her an Australian Shepherd mix.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
lol well it's true isn't it?

I would say there is a possability your pup is a catahoula mix. it could also be a border collie X or an aussie mix, or a sheltie mix. with some type of hound thrown in there.

Merle is a dominant color, which means if the dog carries the gene it will show it, so you know one of the parents was also merled dog.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I would buy catahoula mix...the merle could come from other breeds, but combined with the houndy look, I think houla is a good guess in this case.

·
Registered
509 Posts
She is beautiful!...Good Luck to you!:)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Anyone else see Dane?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yeah, I would buy catahoula mix. Her ears don't look right to me for that breed... She's a cutie!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Willowy I did see Dane at first glance!
But she does look like a young leopard dog mix. If her ears were not back, but forward, I think she'd look more houndish.

·
Registered
296 Posts
dane was my first thought but without knowing approximate age or anything in the pic for a size reference it's hard to say. looks quite like a cld too. temperament is a huge deciding factor for me when determining mixes.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
dane was my first thought too but i am not good at this!

good luck in adopting her, she is beautiful :)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
She looks thin.. this isn't a mix you'd see every day but could she be Houla X Whippet?

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She looks thin.. this isn't a mix you'd see every day but could she be Houla X Whippet?
It's funny, I could see finding a Whippet mix in Hawaii because we have Whippets in the show ring but I have never seen a Catahoula anywhere in the islands.:p Just another reason I could see her not having any Catahoula in her at all.

There are 3 pictures of her in the Petfinder ad but I could only see the one yesterday and now I can see this one too. Im going to call the pound she's at today and see if she is still there and find out more about her.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I would guess something houndy with an Aussie or BC, honestly, and not a first generation of anything cross. ARE there even any Catahoulas in HI?

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ARE there even any Catahoulas in HI?
I have never seen one!

And I got an email back from the Humane Society, they still have her! :D This was what they said about her: "She came to us as a stray on May 9th and she has already been spayed. She is super sweet and loving. She is also very curious and social. We have attached some photos of her and if you want we can take some more and send them your way." They sent the 3 pictures so I will attach the 3rd picture I have of her now. And they offered to take new pictures of her so hopefully I will be getting those soon.

Im going to call them now before I go to work and ask some more questions.

Oh, and I think she is a Border Collie mix. I think she has blue eyes, Im not sure though, there is some kind of dots on her eyes in the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have never seen one!

And I got an email back from the Humane Society, they still have her! :D This was what they said about her: "She came to us as a stray on May 9th and she has already been spayed. She is super sweet and loving. She is also very curious and social. We have attached some photos of her and if you want we can take some more and send them your way." They sent the 3 pictures so I will attach the 3rd picture I have of her now.

Im going to call them now before I go to work and ask some more questions.
Gogo, call them, and tell them you wanna fly over to see her. =D

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gogo, call them, and tell them you wanna fly over to see her. =D
OMG! They said the do do interisland adoptions! We dont have to go see her (flight for early next week costs $71 over and $84 back!), but if my Dad or Mom wants someone to see her before we get her then yes we will go.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts