Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a pup transported up from a high kill shelter in Fl. I have a picture of her, her mom, and her brothers/sisters. The shelter listed them as German Shepherd mixes but I'm thinking possibly Cattle Dog mix?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I think I see a little Collie (not very pronounced stops on their muzzles), mabe some Husky, GSD, possibly a bit of ACD (does that second one have some blue ticking?). . .they're super mutts! And I want one.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Mom looks like a dingo! I would say the pups have some kind of hound in them, maybe shepherd.

I'd go ahead and list them as GSD mixes. It seems to be shelter code for "dunno" these days.

·
Registered
259 Posts
"it seems to be shelter code for 'dunno' these days." haha Love it. And love those pups. Nothing really jumps out at me, or at least not when I go from looking at one to looking at another. But they're awesome looking little things. A long ways away to have found one, good job!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone else actually said the mom looked like a Dingo too! I agree that they're basically a mix of a ton of things so I guess I'll just tell them her breed is Rescue :)

She was the only one left (pups were adopted, mom was returned to the owner who gave her and the pups up) and was on the kill list for last Thursday. I couldn't let her die and thank God someone was able to help me get her pulled and transported. She's being fostered in Florida until Friday when she comes up here. Her foster brought her to the vet and the vet said she looks like she has a bit of Collie in her. We'll see what my vet says. I'll have a whole list pretty soon!

·
Registered
57 Posts
The black and white pictures are Catahoula leopard dogs without a doubt. They also come in brown, brindle, tri color! Go to the Catahoula website and take a look. Do they have webbed feet, a tail that curves over their back and a kind of meaty solid chest?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
GSD/Pit mix? Not sure really, and I thought the same as Amarylis as I thought the mom was a Dingo too. They're all nice looking and I hope will be okay and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Catahoulas should have both ears down, but some have a "lift". This is considered a defect. Still believe Catahoula breed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for helping me out! The ears are actually what won be over. I'm a sucker for big ears (my Husky/GSD has some of the biggest and most adorable ears ever)! I guess I'll know more once I actually meet her and get to know her personality. Apparently she loves her tennis ball. She'll keep it in her mouth, drop it in her bowl, drink, and then pick it back up and continue to play! Can you tell I'm excited?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The black and white pictures are Catahoula leopard dogs without a doubt. They also come in brown, brindle, tri color! Go to the Catahoula website and take a look. Do they have webbed feet, a tail that curves over their back and a kind of meaty solid chest?
I would have to respectfully disagree. Ears are all wrong and the coats look too long/dense. Very cute pups for sure though!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congratulations on the new little one! I saw on the UDOM facebook page when she was the only pup left not adopted. You got Layla right?, her nose is totally heart shaped!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi,
I have two catahoula leopard dogs black and white. Examine the "splotches" on the left dog, it also has a white tip on the tail. The ears and the coat match my dogs also. I bet if they were standing the tails would curve over the back also...it would be nice to have this picture. The ears differ from catahoula to catahoula, although the breed standard is the dropped flap type ear, a lot of cats have the up lifted ones. There are three different lines of Catahoulas also, so they do vary a lot in color and markings. They may have a mix in them but they are catahoula.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
sorry, but I don't see the Catahoula at all. I think what you have is a 'wonder mutt' or a heinz 57. If I had to narrow it down, GSD, Collie or Hound X. Very cute puppies though. Post more pictures as the pup grows up and it will be easier to tell.

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Mom definately has some Shepherd in her (ears, color and marking scream Shepherd). Pups, there's no telling.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congratulations on the new little one! I saw on the UDOM facebook page when she was the only pup left not adopted. You got Layla right?, her nose is totally heart shaped!
Yep, I got Layna! She'll be up here on Monday hopefully. She's been fostered/quarantined while she's getting over a URI..which is good because I know my dog will not be able to leave her alone! I might be changing her name too..we'll see.

Here are some pictures from her foster:
layna2.jpg
layna3.jpg
layna.jpg

1 - 20 of 44 Posts