Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what breed is this dog?

hi everyone,

i've had this question for the longest now and thought this is probably the best place to ask. can anyone please tell me what breed is this dog?

his tail was i guess cut off or maybe its supposed to be short like that i don't know and i was too young to understand or remember. ears r pointed, dark body and sharp features..
so, any help ?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Welcome to DF and that's a purebred Doberman Pincher. He's very thin, but Dobies have cropped ears and docked tails normally. What was his name?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
That's a Dobermann Pinscher with cropped ears. The tail was likely docked, a Dobermann left natural has a long tail. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone! appreciate your replies. :) his name was Dollar
he was such a handsome guy..

i was just reading up on dobermans and got to know some interesting stuff. thinking of getting one maybe....as soon as i can overcome my fear of dogs (including puppies) lol

anyways, docking tails doesn't sound too good. must be painful.. :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
The tail docking is done when the pups are newborns, like a couple of days old. Most breeders will have docked the pups tails as a matter of course (except in places where it's outlawed). If you want one without a docked tail, you'd have to specifically request it before the litter is born. But even then that would only be if the breeder agrees to it. The ear cropping is done later, so you can choose to have it done or not.

As far as your fear of dogs, I don't know what to say about that. It seems like a large powerful dog like a Doberman would not be the best choice for someone who is afraid of handling dogs. Just saying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
agreed. thinking about one is making my heart race right now! i dunno how i was standing next to him when i was little like that.. o_o

question - does the dog in this pic have his ears cropped too? just got confused so wanted to confirm.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
agreed. thinking about one is making my heart race right now! i dunno how i was standing next to him when i was little like that.. o_o

question - does the dog in this pic have his ears cropped too? just got confused so wanted to confirm.
Yes, they are cropped. Dobermans are usually born with floppy hound dog ears.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Honestly if you are afraid of dogs, I wouldn't recommend a Doberman as your first dog. They can be fantastic dogs but not for someone who is nervous around dogs. They need tons of socializing and training. Maybe go to a few dog shows and chat with breeders about their dogs. Maybe it will help you over come your fear as well.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
thanks everyone! appreciate your replies. :) his name was Dollar
he was such a handsome guy..

i was just reading up on dobermans and got to know some interesting stuff. thinking of getting one maybe....as soon as i can overcome my fear of dogs (including puppies) lol

anyways, docking tails doesn't sound too good. must be painful.. :(
No, it is not, in fact it's far less painful than spaying or nuetering and is done when the dog is an infant (less than 7 days old).

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Honestly if you are afraid of dogs, I wouldn't recommend a Doberman as your first dog. They can be fantastic dogs but not for someone who is nervous around dogs. They need tons of socializing and training. Maybe go to a few dog shows and chat with breeders about their dogs. Maybe it will help you over come your fear as well.
This times 100! It is great that you're willing to get over your fears but I don't think that you should do that by getting a dog, because what would you do if you couldn't get over your fears?
Dobermans are GREAT dogs (but then, I'm biased). However, they are definitely not the best dog for an inexperienced and/or unsure owner. They are smart dogs and can be quite loyal but they can also be quite a challenge. They need a strong owner.

That poor dog in the picture is super skinny! I hope he didn't have to live his whole life that way :[

1 - 11 of 11 Posts