Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my girlfriend and I got a new puppy from the shelter about a month ago. We initially thought he was a Black Mouth Cur. However, the vet said that he looked more like a Great Dane/Pit Bull mix. He said that the reason he didn't think he was a BMC was because BMC's usually have a black mouth whose coloring extends to the inside of the mouth. Our puppy's mouth is pink on the inside. I'm starting to see more pit bull in him every week. But I'm not sure what he is mixed with. Any help you guys can offer is appreciated.

*Note: The pictures posted show him at various ages. We adopted him at 2.5 months and he is now about 3.5 months.

Possible breed mixtures?

Potential adult size?
August 5th 2015 (2.5 Months): 16 lbs.
Sept. 5th 2015 (3.5 Months): 26 lbs @ 17.25" Tall
October 5th 2015 (4.5 months): 33.5 lbs. @ 18.5" Tall

Attachments

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I see Dane x Mastiff (what kind, idk lol). Handsome young man!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys! Can any of you tell how big he might get? I don't really expect him to be as big as a purebred Dane. But it would be nice to have a ballpark figure of about how big he might get. I'm honestly puzzled at this point.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
These things aren't exact, but here's an estimator.

Assuming he's got some sort of mastiff in him, and I think he does, and he's ~10kg at 3.5 months, he'll probably be over 100 lbs as an adult. Probably. Maybe. With mixed breeds it's harder to say. Whatever he is, he is adorable!

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
Based on his weight and age now, I'd say somewhere in the 80lb range. That is, of course, not much more than a rough guess and based on the fact that every 100+ lb dog I've had had been at least 10lbs per month for quite a while, and certainly at 2-6 months (ie: 20lbs at 2 months, 30 at 3, etc.) Height, I couldn't begin to tell you.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I'll be the dissenter in that I see no mastiff. To me he doesn't look that big either. Maybe 60lbs full grown? According to the size estimator at 3.5 months old (Born late may) and 26 lbs, that puts him around 54 lbs as an adult. A 3 month old mastiff should be 45 lbs. http://kiokeemastiffscom.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-much-should-my-mastiff-puppydog.html
http://xandermtmastiffs.tripod.com/id41.html

His paws also look small, small knuckles and his bones don't look thick enough for a mastiff to me.

There's a lot of mixes that could look like that though.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I'll be the dissenter in that I see no mastiff. To me he doesn't look that big either. Maybe 60lbs full grown? According to the size estimator at 3.5 months old (Born late may) and 26 lbs, that puts him around 54 lbs as an adult. A 3 month old mastiff should be 45 lbs. http://kiokeemastiffscom.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-much-should-my-mastiff-puppydog.html
http://xandermtmastiffs.tripod.com/id41.html

His paws also look small, small knuckles and his bones don't look thick enough for a mastiff to me.

There's a lot of mixes that could look like that though.
I agree with Laurelin. I don't particularly see Dane or Mastiff and he doesn't seem like he'll get all that big (not to 100lbs anyway). I would believe cur mix, or pittie mix. Hard to say. Probably a mix of a mix.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Lad was more than 26lbs at 3.5months (he was 20lbs at 9weeks) and he is only 57lbs now at 9months. I'm starting to worry he won't get as large as I need him to. So I'm going to agree with Laurelin on this one. I don't really see mastiff in your puppy, I could see cur mix, or some sort of bully breed mix, maybe both.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
The coloring could also indicate a Lab x GSD x ??? mix. Check his paws to see if he has some webbing (for swimming), and see how he reacts to water. Lots of dogs have webbing, but fewer pups will drink from a faucet or hose, and will play with water from a hose [some herders will attack the water.].

Also, boxer x GSD?

I like CptJack's 10lb/mo leads to 100lb estimate, and 7 lbs/mo leads to about 70lbs at adult .... as an estimate. But, I didn't see where your dog was growing at 10lb per month? Another rule of thumb is that a pup is about 50% of his adult weight around 4 - 5 months.

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
The coloring could also indicate a Lab x GSD x ??? mix. Check his paws to see if he has some webbing (for swimming), and see how he reacts to water. Lots of dogs have webbing, but fewer pups will drink from a faucet or hose, and will play with water from a hose [some herders will attack the water.].

Also, boxer x GSD?

I like CptJack's 10lb/mo leads to 100lb estimate, and 7 lbs/mo leads to about 70lbs at adult .... as an estimate. But, I didn't see where your dog was growing at 10lb per month? Another rule of thumb is that a pup is about 50% of his adult weight around 4 - 5 months.
Oh, my estimate was lower because the pup *isn't* growing at 10lbs a month :p

That said, I think larger dogs are rarely 50% of their weight at 4 months. That's more typical of mediumish dogs. So... dog might top out at about 60lbs, but might not, if it's going to be the larger end of things. At that case it'd be about 50% grown at about 6 month, give or take. Mutts are hard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
1. He does have some serious webbing on his paws. He has only been around water once so far and he was unsure about how he felt about it.

2. He has grown exactly 10 lbs in the last month. We brought him home a month ago (August 5th) and he weighed 16 lbs. Now, as of a few days ago (Sept. 5th), he weighs 26 lbs. So he has definitely been growing. We got him from a shelter and he was found as a stray on his own at 2.5 months. We adopted him 2-3 days after he got to the shelter. So they didn't really have time to feed him any kind of nutritious food before we started him on his current diet. So I am assuming that he did not have the best nutrition to support his proper growth. I'm hoping that now that he is with us and getting nutrient rich food that his proper growth rate will continue.

Note: I have edited the original post to show his growth rate as measured over the last month we have had him.

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
I'm not weighing in on whether or not he's going to be a giant again, but I do want to clarify:

When I say most dogs who top a hundred pounds 'grow' 10lbs a month, I was phrasing it really badly.

Basically, a 2 month old dog who is going to weigh a hundred pounds should have an ideal weight of about 20lbs - no ribs visible, but also no extra fat padding (so you can easily feel ribs). That doesn't last the whole time for them, and even smaller dogs will sometimes hit growth spurts where they gain a ton of weight too, but it still sort of averages out lower. Basically, most giant breed puppies I've had at 3.5 months old weigh, at good weight, about 35lbs, give or take a pound or two. Or they might weigh 30lbs but hit 40 before the next month.

The big thing is, ultimately, how LONG they keep growing. My Border Collie weighs 36-37lbs as a 15 month old. She weighed a bit over 20lbs at 4 months old. Likewise, my 110lb dog weighed 40lbs at 4 months old (so the math there is different). My 12lb dog weighed 8lbs at 4 months. The smaller they are, the sooner they stop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Understood. I am just trying to give as much useful info as I can. Haha! His ribs definitely were showing for the first few weeks we had him. Had to fatten him up a little. But now he is at a healthy body type. Can't visibly see his ribs but you can still feel them. Ultimately, I am totally ok if he reaches at least the same general size as our Smooth Collie (23" @ ~56 lbs.) We adopted him as a companion for our Smooth Collie so it would work out amazingly well if they were roughly the same size.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My dane pup is almost 8 months and over 100lbs. She was 102 two weeks ago. Your pup doesn't have the bone mass she had when we got her at 10 weeks. She was also about 27 pounds at that time. There could be dane in there, but my guess is a mix of a mix. I'm not really seeing any particular breeds. But he's very cute.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My dane pup is almost 8 months and over 100lbs. She was 102 two weeks ago. Your pup doesn't have the bone mass she had when we got her at 10 weeks. She was also about 27 pounds at that time. There could be dane in there, but my guess is a mix of a mix. I'm not really seeing any particular breeds. But he's very cute.
That's good to know. I never really thought he would be the size of a Dane. I saw a Dane puppy a couple of wees ago at the dog park. Yeah.....way bigger than our puppy. Haha! Beautiful dogs though.

Can't wait to see him grow - keep us informed! :)
I definitely will. I want him to grow up so I can see what he looks like and how big he gets when he is full grown. My girlfriend wants him to stay a puppy forever. Haha!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, he isn't quite as big as a typical Dane. But then again, I wouldn't expect him to be. His weight, relating to the weight chart, would make him like a mini Dane. He is a little smaller than a typical Dane. But he is still growing pretty quickly. He's over 17" and I think around 27-28 lbs. now and still has a couple more weeks till he hits 4 months. So he's definitely on the small side for a Dane. But like I said, that isn't surprising.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts