Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Yet another 'what breed is my dog?' thread.

We rescued Lottie 6 weeks ago and were told she is a Staffi/lab X. If she is predominantly Staffi, this will mean she is automatically classified as a menacing dog by the local council, and will mean she must be muzzled whenever in public. This classification is based purely on breed and does not take into account individual dog's past or present behaviour.

I'm curious to know what people on here may think her breed mix is, and what her predominant breed may be, if possible.

She weighs 21kg, measures 90cm from nose to tip of tail and is 45cm tall at the shoulders

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Unfortunately, if you live in area that has banned "bully breeds" or has certain restrictions for these breeds or dogs appearing to resemble theses breeds, then you are out of luck. Because there is no such thing as a DNA test to prove what mix she is, the council decides. I think your best bet is to do a survey from all your neighboring vets and any neighboring breeders that are ckc or akc registered for "american staffordshire terrier, labrador and boxer" and have them all give a professional approach on what they think the breed is.

You're certainly in a tough position. I wish you the best of luck.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies Keechak and cjac&mac. Someone else has also suggested there could be a bit of Boxer in her.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi all,

Yet another 'what breed is my dog?' thread.

We rescued Lottie 6 weeks ago and were told she is a Staffi/lab X. If she is predominantly Staffi, this will mean she is automatically classified as a menacing dog by the local council, and will mean she must be muzzled whenever in public. This classification is based purely on breed and does not take into account individual dog's past or present behaviour.

I'm curious to know what people on here may think her breed mix is, and what her predominant breed may be, if possible.

She weighs 21kg, measures 90cm from nose to tip of tail and is 45cm tall at the shoulders

Thanks in advance for your help.
I was going to say a bit of Boxer in there too. There is actually a dog DNA test that they have out now. The good and reliable ones are blood samples and I believe it was $125 to do. You go to your vet and they take a blood sample, and then you send it off to be tested. If you search online it comes up with a few of them. However, be careful... some of the sites only have 30 breeds to compare the sample to - others have over 100.

Check out this site: http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-owner-topics/Canine-DNA-Testing.aspx it explains DNA testing.

In my area the bully breeds are not banned. It is the characteristics of the bully breed. That means if they even look like a pit bull/staffi then they are required to be muzzled.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I don't know, to me that dog doesn't really look like a Boxer. Maybe it's just me.

After a little research on Google it seems that Lab/Pit and Lab/Boxer vary pretty greatly in appearance. I don't think it's completely farfetched to call that dog a Lab/Boxer.

However I do agree with the poster who pointed out that it is the TRAITS that are banned too. They're sneaky with their stupid laws and thrown in words like "all dogs physically resembling those breeds." I think it's fair to say that Lottie has some bully breed characteristics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your replies, I appreciate your time. The council here bases their 'menacing' dog judgements purely on breed/ breed mix, so it seems as though Lottie is doomed to wear a muzzle whenever in public areas despite her having a fantastic nature. It is interesting to note that the council state that the reason for the muzzle is to provide the general public with a sense of security and safety. I think I would feel more unsure having a muzzled dog approach me rather than an unmuzzled one. I mean, why are they wearing a muzzle? Perhaps it is just me.
As someone who is a first time dog owner, it is interesting to experience the the predjudice that is constantly faced by dog owners, particularly owners of the bully breeds.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I would feel very unsafe if I had to muzzle my dogs when I took them for a walk. one of the reasons I have dogs is so I can go for walks in the woods and not worry about someone attacking me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

Lottie is not going to be considered a menacing dog by the council. Their inspector felt that although she does definitely have some Staffi in her, it is not enough for Lottie to be classified as menacing. She thought there were quite a few boxer characteristics (more than Staffi) so according to the council, Lottie is a Boxer/Staffi X. No muzzle for Lottie! Excellent.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I would tell the council that she is half Labrador Retiriever and half Boxer

she really dosn't look like she has much pit in her to me, she dosn't have the big cheek muscles like pit mixes normally have.

Not all pit bulls have "big cheek muscles". Many don't , and resemble more the "terrier" side than the "bully" side. The average weight for a pit bull is 30-60 lbs, and most of them fall in the middle of that range. The fat-headed, muscly tanks that are 70-100lb dogs are not pit bulls but are hybrids.

And your dog does look like a pit bull mix. Unfortunate that so many town councils are so uninformed about a fantastic, wonderful breed of dog.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I see pit/pit mix.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I agree with everything Hershey said and Laurelins post too.

I see no boxer whatso ever but either a APBT,APBTX or American Staffordshire terrier/or mix

People forget that pits have terrier blood in them and therefore can have more terrier type facial caracteristics.

The dog is very good looking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts