Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I am new here, and I have recently adopted a new pound puppy and was wondering what breed everyone thought he was. I have my ideas but wanted to hear others...btw he is ten weeks old, 15 inches tall at the shoulder, and 20 pounds

·
Registered
246 Posts
Kind of hard to tell from the little avatar picture.

Do you have any larger pix?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
You have to be logged in to see any thing on that account.

Upload the pictures from your computer to something like photobucket, facebook, etc. Insert the link into the IMG tags here.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Awwww... very cute. I would think some type of terrier.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Oh, he's adorable! Looks like a pit to me, probably mixed with something else, won't know till he gets older. He looks like a lot of fun :D

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
His paws look way to small to be a great dane

but if he's gaining 3-5 pounds per week then he might be mixed with one lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well...the picture really doesn't do him justice, they're actually pretty large...he has grown an inch in the past week and gained 2 or 3 pounds so far

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Do you have any other pictures?...its hard to tell from just one

What did the shelter think he was?....at first blush I would say pit/pit mix

its possible he is a GD mix....20lbs sounds kinda on the small side for a Male Great Dane

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here are a few extra pictures of him...he is really improving since we've gotten him. He was mostly ribs and very underweight, so that may be why he's a little small...I've had ppl look at him and say he's a great dane and others say he was a pit...I just figured not pit because he's not as thick and he's already 15 inches at 10 weeks and pits usually only get to be 18-22 inches. He's also really calm...like he'll play for about 30 min then he's ready to cuddle up and take a nap. Not hyper like most puppies

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Here are a few extra pictures of him...he is really improving since we've gotten him. He was mostly ribs and very underweight, so that may be why he's a little small...I've had ppl look at him and say he's a great dane and others say he was a pit...I just figured not pit because he's not as thick and he's already 15 inches at 10 weeks and pits usually only get to be 18-22 inches

pits aren't "thick" when they are babies LOL.....From what I have seen there is not height standard for the APBT...as long as they are not over large ..their height to weight ration has to be nice and even

and when we start talking standards...that is in reference to well bred dogs.....so most likely in a rescue situation...your not going to find the breed standard...you will find under, over and everything in between

He is sooo young right now.....its very hard to tell....he looks larger then an average pit bull puppy but smaller then an average grate dane so I think time will have to tell.......for your sake and the pup I hope he is a great dane :)....(not trying to be mean) but you said you don't really like pits :)

I think you will know in the next 2 or 3 months....if he goes over the 50-60 lb mark you probably have a GD or GDmix on your hands

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pugmom...yes, I really hope he is a dane. I've never been fond of pits and I have always wanted a dane, but I will love him whatever he is :) I don't know about pits personalities and behavior, but I have always been told that danes prefer to just relax and are not very hyper which is another reason why I thought he might be a dane...I've never seen a puppy as calm and smart as he is

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I'd rather pits only be owned by certain people....so the less the better IMO LOL:).....just like any other breed pits have their own personalities and there behavior is what you make of it by being a good owner.....I love them...I'm sorry if you haven't had the chance to meet any :(

He is a cute guy and I think he has yet to show his true personality...give him a few days to settle in....:D

there is a member of this board who has 2 Danes ....I'm sure she would have tons of good advice for you...

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Other than his ears, he looks identical to a pit mix my friend has. Coloring and body structure. Except she has little ears that aren't so floppy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you know who it is on here who owns the 2 danes? Champ is such a sweet guy...he will play so hard with the other 2 dogs and after about 30 minutes, he hits the bed and is asleep...are pits usually more active than danes?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts